PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 7 Patriots Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to feel good about the wrs and the depth. We really needed some of these unknowns to step up and shine. They have done just that so far. Keep it up.

Heading into camp, the fan buzz was all about Harry and Inman. Since the start of camp, the buzz has been about Meyers and Harris. Fine with me! I honestly don't care much which WRs get into the groove of the offense, as long as somebody does.

I know it's early but just based on what we hear , not much of a mention so far of the TEs....I was upbeat on Izzo last season before he got injured but hear next to nothing.....however Watson has been mentioned a few times

We aren't hearing a lot out of the running game at all. I'm holding off on any assessments of Harris until preseason

That's how it will be with Izzo as well.

If he's getting reps as blocking tight end with the starters in preseason, you will know he is looking good.

If he's in mop up, not so much.

Didn't I read that someone not Nate Ebner was practicing punt protector on ST? I think Ebner might not make the team this year with only $600K dead money, provided another player capable of playing punt protector is on the team.

As of right now, I predict:
  • CB: Stephone Gilmore, JC Jackson, Jason McCourty, Joejuan Williams, Duke Dawson
  • SS: Patrick Chung
  • FS: Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon, Terrence Brooks
It really should be Jonathan Jones here but with Dawson's dead cap and presumably a complete lack of interest, only Jones could be traded. Depending on how the rest of the roster shapes up, D'Angelo Ross might have a shot to make the team as well, but does he play special teams?

Dawson was playing the Ebner role in practice so far. If he is capable, I think Ebner is expendable. Especially if Obi also shows promise.

Yikes. Wynn still not 100% yet. Hopefully, he will be by the start of the season.
an achilles injury with a guy that heavy could take a while. I would like to see him get up to speed quickly but would rather that thing heal properly

A poster spotted someone playing protector in practice yesterday. I commented with a "uh ok, thats Nate's job" but for the life of me I can't remember the player. Dawson? Obi?
It was Dawson. I then chimed in that I think Dawson needs to contribute to ST to stick on the team.

Wow, I'll have to google up Meyers more....
If you watch his college highlights it will all make sense and you'll see he's made N'Keal Harry type catches.

It was Dawson. I then chimed in that I think Dawson needs to contribute to ST to stick on the team.
Ah ok. I can't ever remember this much talent and competition in the secondary since 2003. Then Lawyer got wacked.

Burkhead is absolutely fragile. I think we need to think of him as RB3 behind Sony and Harris and PB2 behind White as the passing back. Hopefully that keeps him fresh and reduces the wear and tear. Hes a good player and a good backup.

We don't have much of a choice.

Inman isn't making it. I think it's between him, Meyers and Berrios at this point and Meyers stands out.
I think the only way Berrios makes it is if he kicks absolute ass on the KR and PR units and maybe even the coverage teams.

I think we have a lot more CB's to trade then S's. Chung is still redshirted and Dev is over 30. We can't really afford to trade Harmon unless BB needs to rid his salary (which is doubtful). We definitely have a plethora of CB's to deal if they all continue to play this well. J. Jones and Duke Dawson are candidates, even though Jones has been lights on.

In two weeks, the ages and cap hits of the Patriot DBs will be:

D. McCourty - 32 ($13.4M)
Chung - 32 - ($4.5)
J. McCourty - 32 ($4.3M)
Ebner - 30 ($2.8M)
Gilmore - 28 ($9.2M)
Harmon - 28 ($4.8M)
J. Jones - 25 ($3M)

The players below all have a relatively small cap hit of under $1.2M
Melifonwu - 25
J.C. Jackson - 23
Dawson - 23
Crosson - 23
Williams - 21

Summary: Three of our DBs with the highest DB cap hit will be 32 years old in two weeks, the two McCourty's and Chung. I am reading much speculation in this thread about the Patriots trading Jones, Harmon, and others.

D. McCourty and Chung are two of my favorite Patriots, absolutely vital contributors. However, they probably won't be on the Patriots roster for too many more years, I don't think it would be very wise to trade one of our talented youngsters like Jones or Harmon. I guess we will see.

My hopes going forwards into second week and joint practice

Myers/Harris/Harry keep improving and start to win over the defence
Wynn recovery looks promising and starts to play with the starters
Experiment with Skipper as LT comes to an end:eek:
Rumours of a trade for a decent tight end , let's not aim too
high...say Kittle of SF ...player plus 2020 pick

Ben Volin is removed from the twitter feed....lol

My hopes going forwards into second week and joint practice

Myers/Harris/Harry keep improving and start to win over the defence
Wynn recovery looks promising and starts to play with the starters
Experiment with Skipper as LT comes to an end:eek:
Rumours of a trade for a decent tight end , let's not aim too
high...say Kittle of SF ...player plus 2020 pick

Ben Volin is removed from the twitter feed....lol
LMAO our only 2 shots at Kittle were A drafting him B landing him in the Grap trade we couldn't do either.

I mentioned that perhaps Pennel was stuffing the run...but looks like Shelton too...

In two weeks, the ages and cap hits of the Patriot DBs will be:

D. McCourty - 32 ($13.4M)
Chung - 32 - ($4.5)
J. McCourty - 32 ($4.3M)
Ebner - 30 ($2.8M)
Gilmore - 28 ($9.2M)
Harmon - 28 ($4.8M)
J. Jones - 25 ($3M)

The players below all have a relatively small cap hit of under $1.2M
Melifonwu - 25
J.C. Jackson - 23
Dawson - 23
Crosson - 23
Williams - 21

Summary: Three of our DBs with the highest DB cap hit will be 32 years old in two weeks, the two McCourty's and Chung. I am reading much speculation in this thread about the Patriots trading Jones, Harmon, and others.

D. McCourty and Chung are two of my favorite Patriots, absolutely vital contributors. However, they probably won't be on the Patriots roster for too many more years, I don't think it would be very wise to trade one of our talented youngsters like Jones or Harmon. I guess we will see.
Chung just got a revised deal. If cut its a $7.5 cap hit. Hes staying.

If they take out DMC they save $9.5m. Last year of his deal. I do find that situation curious.

I think Nate will have a tough time sticking around.

They don't have a replacement for Harmon

JJ is a steal at $3m. Could be trade bait. Who knows.

Shelton, Guy, Pennel should lead to a much improved run defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents