PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 7 Patriots Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berrios definitely will be cut IMO. Reports I’ve seen are really down on his quickness.

Bill Belichick 8/1: 'Everyone's making progress'

d830182123c247c0369b7e6645b4ba40.jpg

Caption: Bill is like "How dare you ask me that question"

Not even close to the caliber player Harmon is.
That's an opinion, not a proven fact......as yet. Though experience would seem to favor Harmon. But Obi is bigger, faster, and quicker. Let's see how it plays out. Remember we are talking about a guy (Harmon) who usually only plays 30% of the snaps.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 safeties used a lot this year.

Still not looking good for Inman
I was more excited about the Inman signing than the Harris signing, sure looks like I was wrong again.

I was excited about Inman, because besides his size (both Inman & Harris are 6'3"), Inman is a really good route runner and has excellent hands, just seemed like a more natural receiver than Harris. But once camp started, he hasn't done squat, while Harris has shined. Still early, let's see what the do in the practices against other teams and the exhibition games.

Burkehead down as limited but went to the conditioning field , I don't want to open old debates but will he survive this year ?

That's an opinion, not a proven fact......as yet. Though experience would seem to favor Harmon. But Obi is bigger, faster, and quicker. Let's see how it plays out. Remember we are talking about a guy (Harmon) who usually only plays 30% of the snaps.

Harmon played 61% of the snaps last year

You of all people should put a high price on football instincts and knowledge of the scheme and fundamentals.

Harmon has that in spades.

Burkehead down as limited but went to the conditioning field , I don't want to open old debates but will he survive this year ?
Survive cut-downs or survive without going on IR?

Harmon player 61% of the regular season defensive snaps last year. To suggest he’s only a 30% snap guy is just flat out wrong. The Pats were in 3 safety looks more than 50% of the total snaps. Add in Chung’s durability concerns and you have a real need for a proven high end #3 safety. Harmon could start for most teams in the league. He’s a real asset for the D and isn’t going to be replaced by an athletic guy who hasn’t been healthy or productive in the pros.

Survive cut-downs or survive without going on IR?

My OPINION is no, to both. I think if we cut him, he will get another chance in the league.

Harris (RB) has not really been mentioned from what I have seen so that reduces my confidence in the above opinion.

My OPINION is no, to both. I think if we cut him, he will get another chance in the league.

Harris (RB) has not really been mentioned from what I have seen so that reduces my confidence in the above opinion.
We aren't hearing a lot out of the running game at all. I'm holding off on any assessments of Harris until preseason.

If Burk is cut its $2.5m dead money on a potential savings of $500k. Doesn't make sense to cut him unless he is pathetic and awful- which he is not.

Sorry not too familiar on all the options of staying on the team.....I don't have anything bad to say about him as he has had some good plays for us but.....If it goes "team first" then I am not sure he will make it this year....Don't think he would have much of a trade value either

I think Burkhead had the most catches out of all the receivers in mini camp...no question he can catch. He would fill White's role well if he went down with an injury. I think he has good trade value because of that and I don't think he will get released...and also because of what The Dude said...$500k is not much.

That being said I would trade Burkhead, Harmon and a draft pick for Trent Williams

Last edited:
Appreciate the figures , I should look more....it's just his injury history

The best part of me going to camp today was that I was able to find my car on the way out this time. ;) Things that stuck out to me.

They had pads on, but it wasn't much of a hitting day. The thing that stood out to me that the focus of the practice was TEMPO. There was a lot of running today in this practice. Things moved at a lot faster pace than on Sunday.

BTW- It was more crowded today than Sunday, imo

1. Berrios needs to give his #14 to Meyers. This kid got a lot of run today. He's not going to run by anyone but his hands are special and he competes for 50-50 balls very well. As you have already read, he was pretty much anointed player of the day, and I'd have to agree. He was the best receiver of the day.

2. I watched JWilliams closely most of the day, and I'm happier today than I was on Sunday. He's better in man than in zone. He competed well on the one on ones allowing just one catch on an in cut that he made very competitive. BTW- the offense SHOULD win on in cuts. I can see him carving out a role covering TE's in man coverage as a situational player. He did a nice job on Harry most of the day.

3. Speaking of Harry. His success is going to be determined by Brady being willing to throw to him when he's covered. He is NOT going to be a guy who can create separation on his own....at least not now. However, as he showed today, he's going to win more than his share of 50-50 balls.

The other thing I noted about Harry is that he is an aggressive and tenacious blocker. He's not afraid to mix it up with the LB's

4. Brady has spent most of his 20 years NOT throwing to covered receivers. Up to now, back shoulder throws has not been one of his best throws. As of THIS point, if he is going to get the most out of Harry, that will have to change.

5. Nice to see Wynn working with the one's early in practice, but that ended about half way through. The difference between Wynn's foot quickness and Skipper's is significant.

6. The coverage ability of our CB's is the best I've ever seen and that goes 3 deep

7. Hard to get a read on how the front seven is going to be configured because it seems like they keep moving people in and out so often its hard to get a read.

8. Michael Bennett is AWESOME. He's so quick off the ball. I think as an individual, he's going actually have more impact on the pass rush than Trey. As to the run game, that remains to be seen, though the DL stuffed the O twice on 3 time on GL runs

9. Danny Shelton looks much more comfortable and quicker on Defense. Put this under pure speculation, but if the Pats were to use him as an gap rusher to create inside pressure, he might be more effective than Adam Butler and put Butler's spot in jeopardy.

10. JCollins seems to be making more plays every practice. He is rounding into the same kind of player that he was in 2015 (all pro)

11. Having the D run 3 GL plays against the offense was fun and both sides enjoyed it. Take THAT Lance Johnson

12. Hard to think that the Pats are simply going to simply release 2 or three of those good DB's come September, when they might be able to get something in a trade.

People have a right to be excited about this defense. It might still start of slowly because THAT's what they do, but the additions of Collins, Pennell, and Bentley to go along with the rest of the returnees is going to be pretty good.

BTW- I would never trade JJones. He's the THill stopper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey