PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Andrews hospitalized for blood clots (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
‍Yes.

- Orthopedic procedures, with or without immobility post op.

- Any prolonged immobility really can do it....pregnant woman on bed rest, long hospitalization (which is why we give most patients shots in the abdomen or use leg compression devices when they are too sick to move frequently), elderly nursing home patients with dementia.

- Any cancer can cause a “pro-thrombotic” state. If you may recall, Menino was hospitalized for blood clots in his lungs near the end of his life. That was most likely cancer related.

- In women, a combination of smoking and birth control pills.

- Some medications (steroids that treat inflammation, for example).

- Finally, there are a number of genetic conditions which place patients at high risk for recurrent clots. An extensive blood panel will almost certainly be ordered during his hospital stay, to rule out these conditions.

While blood clot from a long flight in the absence of a genetic predisposition will lead to a 3-6 month (usually 6) course of blood thinners (“anticoagulation”), patients who test positive for certain genetic abnormalities which predispose to clots will usually require lifelong anticoagulation.

He is likely done for the season. If his genetic testing is positive, his career is probably over.
Pretty much covers it. Fortunately the genetic clotting disorders are less common than not, but if he has one, he won’t be able to stop anticoagulation.

have there been other players who had clots?
Garcia for New England. Tommie Frazier for Nebraska. Chris Bosh for the Heat (he either has had recurrence or a clotting disorder I believe).

HUGE loss for this team. It's strength was the O-line and running game. That's what essentially won the SB last season. I'm not thinking they will do much better than a wildcard berth now. Speedy recovery for Mr. Andrews.

Garcia for New England. Tommie Frazier for Nebraska. Chris Bosh for the Heat (he either has had recurrence or a clotting disorder I believe).
IIRC, Bosh went on thinners, took time off, was weaned of the thinners, then had another clotting episode. Then his career was over... too risky. This is SERIOUS stuff. :(

IIRC, Bosh went on thinners, took time off, was weaned of the thinners, then had another clotting episode. Then his career was over... too risky. This is SERIOUS stuff. :(
There is always an increased risk of a recurrent clot after a DVT or PE. But for many the risk is quite small, and blood thinners are not benign (risk of bleeding, including bleeding on the brain). So stopping anticoagulation at some point is the safest course for many patients - but not all.

I’m bummed for him. Hope he gets well asap, must be hard getting a diagnosis like this so young?

Here's the good news. Jeff Howe just reported that Andrews was treated and RELEASED from the hospital.

Here's the bad news - He reported he was treated for blood clots to his lungs. If this is true, his season is over, because the treatment for blood clots to the lungs is the use of serious blood thinners. And you can't play football on blood thinners. Usually when blood thinners are used they are given for 4-6 months.

Great news that he's been released from the hospital, so it's likely the condition isn't serious and he will be able to function normally while he is being treated. But his season is over and we will have to figure out who the next man up will be, and who the back up is.

HUGE loss for this team. It's strength was the O-line and running game. That's what essentially won the SB last season. I'm not thinking they will do much better than a wildcard berth now. Speedy recovery for Mr. Andrews.

Are Wynn, Thuney, Mason and Cannon not intending to play this season?

Me either. I wonder if warfarin would be a sensible method of treatment.

That’s outdated compared to eliquis or xarelto which don’t require monitoring...I can’t see him playing contact sports under blood thinning treatment for the next 6 months.

Your troll game is weak man.

Here's the good news. Jeff Howe just reported that Andrews was treated and RELEASED from the hospital.

Here's the bad news - He reported he was treated for blood clots to his lungs. If this is true, his season is over, because the treatment for blood clots to the lungs is the use of serious blood thinners. And you can't play football on blood thinners. Usually when blood thinners are used they are given for 4-6 months.

Great news that he's been released from the hospital, so it's likely the condition isn't serious and he will be able to function normally while he is being treated. But his season is over and we will have to figure out who the next man up will be, and who the back up is.
Next man up, for now: Karras.

Bill needs to work the phones ASAP, because the best available free-agent Center appears to be 34-year-old John Sullivan, who started for the Rams the past 2 seasons.

That’s outdated compared to eliquis or xarelto which don’t require monitoring...I can’t see him playing contact sports under blood thinning treatment for the next 6 months.
Since he was released so quickly, he almost certainly is on a NOAC (Eliquis or Xarelto), since Coumadin takes several days to build up to right level, whereas NOAC drugs are effective almost immediately. PE has almost become an outpatient illness. Old-timers like me find that a little disconcerting.

I have been on blood thinners for years now, coumadin, and have never had an issue with blood clots. Of course I do not play football on this level, but lead a fairly normal life otherwise. With David there are more options available due to his age, health and what he wants to do forthwith.

The biggest issue I have with blood thinners is bruising on the arms, you notice that a lot in older men who have red splotchy bruises especially on their forearms....

Coumadin requires continual monitoring, other drugs like Elaquis do not require monitoring.. but are quite expensive (not an issue for David) compared to Coumadin.

I suspect the concern for David will be the cause of why these clots are happening; is it a genetic issue, diet or somehow connected to heart issues or all of the above.. the good thing for him is he is in the middle of some of the world's greatest doctors, diagnostic procedures and medical care that the world has to offer.

Remember Tedy B after his stroke?? Pretty sure he was on blood thinners and probably still is today, but every individual is different and if you mix in NFL football it becomes more complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back