PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Andrews about to Sign Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought everyone thought Andrews was a bum as of halftime SB LI. Something change?

Good enough to win with
If the Stork situation hadn't broken down, Andrews would have been a backup.
Has matchup problems, particularly against larger DTs, and could have been upgraded

My guess is that you'll find that's the basic take from 95%+ of this board.

I have always questioned why they moved back to Brian Stork when Andrews was playing so well.

I don't have an answer, but:

Patriots QB Tom Brady preferred David Andrews over Bryan Stork at center

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady received snaps from sophomore center David Andrews during camp. Back-up quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo played with Bryan Stork. When Brady and Garoppolo rotated in with the first team, they brought their center along with them.

and

I have always questioned why they moved back to Brian Stork when Andrews was playing so well.

Centers are a dime a dozen in my opinion. Good ones can be found in the later rounds. Even in 2014 draft, their were 2 centers picked in rounds 5 and 6 by Green Bay and Denver who have had far better NFL careers than Stork. Andrews himself was undrafted

Undersized, Scrappy, feisty, intelligent .

Dan Koppen 2.0
Koppen was better than Andrews is. More stout in the middle in pass protection, and better in the run game.

That being said, he is a great story and someone who should be admired, despite his physical limitations. I'm really glad his hard work and determination is being rewarded financially.

I've been vocal on wanting Mangold as an upgrade, but its coming clear that he isn't healthy and STILL rehabbing an ankle that he hurt the end of last October, so he isn't actually a option for the foreseeable future so, like always, the Pats have moved on.

The Pats have a good OL, whose sum, (like the rest of the team) is better than the indivudual parts. They are getting the most of what they have, but won't get to be elite until they improve the center position, physically.

But until that day happens, Andrews isn't a liability

Centers are a dime a dozen in my opinion. Good ones can be found in the later rounds. Even in 2014 draft, their were 2 centers picked in rounds 5 and 6 by Green Bay and Denver who have had far better NFL careers than Stork. Andrews himself was undrafted

Meh. the same could be said for interior OL i general. However to get the best of the best at Center or OG you typically need to draft fairly high.

As for this signing i am lukewarm on it. He is below average but not everyone can be a star. He has physical limitations and will never be better than pretty good even if he maximizes his talents. That being said I would hope they signed him long term thinking he can improve more cause if they signed him in hopes of being what he was last year for years to come I disagree with the move. I doubt it would cost much too cut him in either case and he is a guy they can probably still look to upgrade potentially even with this extension but it is not an area I feel they MUST address and improve on though it is addressable.

Hopefully he has 1 more level jump in him.

Last edited:
I know Andrews goes into hes 3rd year, but its basicly his second. The first where with a coach Patriots fired, AND was once again fired with Chargers..
So for Andrews its almost like hes going into the second year, where the jump offen happens.

Meh. the same could be said for interior OL i general. However to get the best of the best at Center or OG you typically need to draft fairly high.

As for this signing i am lukewarm on it. He is below average but not everyone can be a star. He has physical limitations and will never be better than pretty good even if he maximizes his talents. That being said I would hope they signed him long term thinking he can improve more cause if they signed him in hopes of being what he was last year for years to come I disagree with the move. I doubt it would cost much to cut him in either case and he is a guy they can probably still look to upgrade potentially even with this extension but if is not an area I feel they MUST address.

They signed him for what he is.
(Its a bit presumptuous to assume/hope they signed him because they think he can improve . simply because you think he should to make the move justified, don't you think?)

Extension should be a positive news. Its a sound investment in known capacity: it means they came to terms (more or less theirs) with a player they know well and they'd like to keep. Weather some fan likes a certain player or prefers others is another story..

Congrats to Andrews and cheers to another 25-1..

Last edited:
Koppen was better than Andrews is. More stout in the middle in pass protection, and better in the run game.

That being said, he is a great story and someone who should be admired, despite his physical limitations. I'm really glad his hard work and determination is being rewarded financially.

I've been vocal on wanting Mangold as an upgrade, but its coming clear that he isn't healthy and STILL rehabbing an ankle that he hurt the end of last October, so he isn't actually a option for the foreseeable future so, like always, the Pats have moved on.

The Pats have a good OL, whose sum, (like the rest of the team) is better than the indivudual parts. They are getting the most of what they have, but won't get to be elite until they improve the center position, physically.

But until that day happens, Andrews isn't a liability
The gap btw Koppen and Andrews is not a big one if one at all.

One of the great mysteries of our time

The Jets, say, would take a look at a guy like Andrews, decide he wasn't flashy enough for "the New York Market," and would then overpay some formerly great veteran or some only possibly great draft pick to replace him. Replacement on board, they would release Andrews, who would then be picked up for a song by the Pats, whereupon the Jets forum would erupt with accusations of the Pats' "gaming the system" because they were in posession of film of Andrews playing in college, when the Jets front office, clearly as a result of Pats' chicanery, was never aware that this sort of film is available on Andrews or any other player.

I assume they wanted to see if they had been wise in drafting him as high as they did hwich, sadly it turned out both for them and for Stork, they had not.

Good story, decent player.

Out of the 22 starters in offense and defense, he might be our weakest player though

As for this signing i am lukewarm on it. He is below average but not everyone can be a star. He has physical limitations and will never be better than pretty good even if he maximizes his talents. That being said I would hope they signed him long term thinking he can improve more cause if they signed him in hopes of being what he was last year for years to come I disagree with the move. I doubt it would cost much to cut him in either case and he is a guy they can probably still look to upgrade potentially even with this extension but if is not an area I feel they MUST address.

you think he is below average? I don't think he is an all star by any means but he is certainly an avearge guy. 15 better/15 worse.

So let me get this straight, we're not going after Mangold . . . right?:confused:

:D

I am happy with this signing, all jokes aside. He's proven we can win with him. He's not perfect, he is undersized and he can be overpowered by the really strong interior guys . . . yes. But he's also scrappy and can have a mean streak in him at times. And he's proven we can win with him.

Good enough to win with
If the Stork situation hadn't broken down, Andrews would have been a backup.
Has matchup problems, particularly against larger DTs, and could have been upgraded

My guess is that you'll find that's the basic take from 95%+ of this board.

Pats, and particularly Brady were reportedly frustrated with Stork's football IQ and his limitation with the enormous verbiage Brady likes to use.

Andrew's football IQ and his tenacity in the classroom was what won him the job. His drawback is, of course, his size- the reason he was an UDFA in the first place.

Pretty good value.

Plus...

Good kid, decent money for him. If Brady prefers him, who am I to question?

Andrews was a rock at Georgia for years. I thought he would make the team as a back up when he was signed as a UDFA.

Pretty good value.

Plus...

If its 3y 9M extension I guess that would equal below 2.5M (4y-9.6M).
In any case nice insurance for Pats and solid pay for Andrews.
Puts respect and trust in the player, leaves door open for upgrade at any time..

Good for Andrews! So now it appears that the Pats O-Line is good for Brady for his next 3-4 years. That should be plenty of time to keep the O-Line pipeline filled for Brady after that, when his career starts winding down. ;)

It's obviously a team-friendly contract and their happy with Andrews, but don't think for one second that BB isn't always looking to upgrade. It's what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back