PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Andrews about to Sign Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the key is brady has a very good relationship with him. How many times have we seen confusion with a centre and a QB. this is another thing to factor in.

Andrews is nothing special. When people use words like scrappy, football IQ, fiesty, etc...... it's all euphemism for him being undersized and easily pushed around by elite pass rushers up the middle. Andrews got destroyed in the playoff game against Houston. They moved their edge rushers to the middle specifically to exploit the weakness in the OL that is Andrews. With that said, his contract reflects that. $3m per year is the lowest salary of any center, and I think even any interior OL, not on rookie contract. So he's being paid the lowest in the league to reflect that he's nothing special. Atleast there will be continuity.

And while Andrews didn't have a good game in the SuperBowl, Solder had by far the worst game of anyone on the OL, and he's our stud 1st round pick with a top 10 in league LT salary. So in many ways Solder's play for the $$ he's paid was the bigger concern. Which is likely reflected in the LT we picked in the draft.

And for all the criticism of why Stork replaced Andrews in 2015, Stork had won a Superbowl with us as a rookie, starting 11 games and the Superbowl, and by all accounts had played well. And when Stork was activated in the 2015 season for the first time in game in Nov 2015 against Redskins, he actually played Guard and then Right Tackle, and Fleming was switched to LT for the game, and Solder, Cannon, Vollmer were all injured. And Stork did a serviceable job. So Stork was already active and playing well when he was moved back to Centre. He didn't come off the bench.

Last edited:
Meh. the same could be said for interior OL i general. However to get the best of the best at Center or OG you typically need to draft fairly high.

As for this signing i am lukewarm on it. He is below average but not everyone can be a star. He has physical limitations and will never be better than pretty good even if he maximizes his talents. That being said I would hope they signed him long term thinking he can improve more cause if they signed him in hopes of being what he was last year for years to come I disagree with the move. I doubt it would cost much to cut him in either case and he is a guy they can probably still look to upgrade potentially even with this extension but if is not an area I feel they MUST address.

Hopefully he has 1 more level jump in him.

Not according to the rings on his finger.

They signed him for what he is.
(Its a bit presumptuous to assume/hope they signed him because they think he can improve . simply because you think he should to make the move justified, don't you think?)

Extension should be a positive news. Its a sound investment in known capacity: it means they came to terms (more or less theirs) with a player they know well and they'd like to keep. Weather some fan likes a certain player or prefers others is another story..

Congrats to Andrews and cheers to another 25-1..

I wouldn't call it presumptuous personally and i should have mentioned it depends on the contract too. If his pay reflects his ability and not a lot is guaranteed than it is fine in general. Looking now on what his contract is (which is the lowest for any center not on a rookie deal) it is an okay signing but committing to him long term with the caveat he is fine as is I think is a misstep if that is what they are thinking. I think they are projecting him to improve more though which he can a bit in any case.

If he does not improve and stays the starting center then it is a mistake and it's not even about the money. I saw the hits Brady took last year directly due to Andrews. He is too old to keep doing that. If those are the kind of hits we can expect Brady to take at that rate then having Andrews as your starter is a mistake. So yes I will take the stance if Andrews does not improve paying him to be your starter is a bad signing cause what i saw last year was not good enough and Brady took too many hits over it. I say this as a guy who hopes Andrews improves and stays the starter. I love it when UDFAs make good.

you think he is below average? I don't think he is an all star by any means but he is certainly an avearge guy. 15 better/15 worse.

Yes i think last year he was below average. Not horrible just below average. I would say more like 20 better 10 worse. So not bottom barrel either but not average. We can agree to disagree there but from what i have seen NFL centers do in general it seems to me he was below average on the year in my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

Not according to the rings on his finger.

The rings argument only applies to QBs and Coaches in the NFL. But you know that. We can talk about elevated play and choking for other positions of course but the actual win or loss is not controlled enough by anyone but Coaches and QBs to bring it up with.

Those tweets could use a bit of context IMO. Yes he is one of the lowest paid starting centers not on a rookie deal so you'd think in the long run they are getting a good deal but not automatically. Below a certain point many teams would rather just get another rookie to play center over shelling out cash for what they think will be similar production they could get from a rookie.

So the NFL will never see 32 centers not on a rookie deal being paid as rookie center might be just as good or at least not much worse and has more upside than the vet they would have to pay. So while Andrews is one of the lowest paid vet Cs it doesn't automatically mean it is some great deal as one could argue in many cases including his getting a rookie or signing a vet who is clearly better could potentially be better value.

Again I am not saying it is automatically a bad deal either just something to keep in mind. And the fact he is getting paid so little for a non-rookie and took it means it was possibly borderline if they felt they would be better off trying with another rookie at a cheap rookie deal or keeping Andrews.

Undersized, Scrappy, feisty, intelligent .

Dan Koppen 2.0
I thought that he was undersized and an up-grade was needed but yeasterday i read Pats are 25-1 with him at center,

I thought that he was undersized and an up-grade was needed but yeasterday i read Pats are 25-1 with him at center,

Yea. Clearly there are more physically gifted, bigger, more talented centers out there. Clearly the Pats like Andrews in the fold and whatever he and TB12 have going there is no question it works.

No question there have been times he is overmatched either by stronger or quicker players and will never be Nick Mangold in his prime but he gets the job done to the team's satisfaction and that is good enough for me.

When does the extension start?

When does the extension start?

This was the third and final year of his UDFA contract, so the first "new" year is next year.

Congrats to David Andrews on his contract extension.

To Joe Banner: Please STFU until you've actually won something.

I thought everyone thought Andrews was a bum as of halftime SB LI. Something change?

Really? Humorously enough, it wasn't the Andrews/Thuney combo that Atlanta tested (as the Texans did), but the other 3 guys. Anyone bashing those two for the breakdowns in SB51 might want to watch the game tape again.

Regards,
Chris

LOL, I guess these two like it for the Patriots.

Now that we know the basic perameters of this contract, it makes PERFECT sense for both the Pats and Andrews.

As its been mentioned by many (including myself) Andrews is an undersized and physically limited player. But he is one thing that we don't mention much and that is his DEPENDABILITY. That is a highly regarded attribute within the Pats organization, but is sometimes disregarded by fans, and mediots, who are too often dazzled by the physical attributes like speed, size and and length (btw, I include myself in that mix too).

The Pats wrapped up of 3 years at a very managable price a very DEPENDABLE player. They know what they have in him, and while they know he isn't an "asset" to the OL, he isn't a liability to it either. And most importantly, at 25-1, they know they can win with him in there.

I think they gave him a contract that reflects a relatively big raise that rewards him for last year, and pays him good money for the years he will be a starter OR back up. Because I believe that over the next 3 years the Pats will definitely look to upgrade Andrews, but still want him on the team. And will be able to keep him here because of the contract they signed.

I can already hear Felger going on about how the Pats are screwing Andrews and underpaying him, but the fact is that over the next 3 years Andrews has a great chance of making 9 fuc*ing MILLION dollars. Which for most people would set him and his family up for the rest of his life. Not bad for a kid who wasn't even a blip on anyone here's mind when he was signed as an unkown UDFA back in April of 2015.

Besides if we are who are rabid Pats fans recognize Andrew's limitiation (as well as his strengths), what exactly would his market be outside....if he were willing to take that chance and look at FA.

The gap btw Koppen and Andrews is not a big one if one at all.

Andrews started out as a 280 pound, tough, intelligent, captain of a an SEC Team and an UDFA. He was undersized everywhere except head and heart. The scouts dont measure those dimensions. Over the years he has grown to an NFL sized Center, and adept at Line calls. He may be near or even over 300 #s now, and no longer undersized or under strength. He is only entering his prime now, along with Shaq and Tunney, and the tackles, where rebuilding began a year or 2 earlier.

Last edited:
Andrews is nothing special. When people use words like scrappy, football IQ, fiesty, etc...... it's all euphemism for him being undersized and easily pushed around by elite pass rushers up the middle. Andrews got destroyed in the playoff game against Houston. They moved their edge rushers to the middle specifically to exploit the weakness in the OL that is Andrews. With that said, his contract reflects that. $3m per year is the lowest salary of any center, and I think even any interior OL, not on rookie contract. So he's being paid the lowest in the league to reflect that he's nothing special. Atleast there will be continuity.

I swear, I hear this and I question what game people actually watched. Andrews did not get destroyed against Houston. People claiming that he did are talking out their rear ends. There was a whopping 2 plays where Andrews "got beat". One of which was a blitz where they brought Mercilus through the "A" Gap when Andrews already was tied up with Wilfork 1-on-1. The other was a coverage sack where Mercilus came in through the "A" gap late and Cushing cleaned up. Both occurred in the 2nd quarter.

Andrews played very well, over all. Including picking up Cushing on several delayed rushes.. But people like yourself ignore that sort of thing.. You ignore that Andrews handled Wilfork or Covington 1-on-1 most of the game, leaving Thuney and Mason to help the tackles. There were some plays he got help, but a majority he didn't.

And while Andrews didn't have a good game in the SuperBowl, Solder had by far the worst game of anyone on the OL, and he's our stud 1st round pick with a top 10 in league LT salary. So in many ways Solder's play for the $$ he's paid was the bigger concern. Which is likely reflected in the LT we picked in the draft.

Just more proof that your evaluation abilities are greatly lacking.

The Patriots drafted 2 guys who can play tackle because Solder is in the last year of his contract and will be 30 before the start of next season. Many have speculated already that Solder may retire because of his own health issues as well as the health issues of his son. By retiring, he can be there full time to help his wife.

Also, there is the possibility that someone may attempt to offer Solder a contract that the Patriots aren't willing to pay. Not to mention that Fleming and Waddle are also on 1 year deals.

But, yes. We should believe that the only reason that they drafted 2 OTs is because Solder sucked in the SB.. :rolleyes:

And for all the criticism of why Stork replaced Andrews in 2015, Stork had won a Superbowl with us as a rookie, starting 11 games and the Superbowl, and by all accounts had played well. And when Stork was activated in the 2015 season for the first time in game in Nov 2015 against Redskins, he actually played Guard and then Right Tackle, and Fleming was switched to LT for the game, and Solder, Cannon, Vollmer were all injured. And Stork did a serviceable job. So Stork was already active and playing well when he was moved back to Centre. He didn't come off the bench.

http://www.patriots.com/team/players/roster/bryan-stork

You don't seem to understand what it means to "come off the bench."
Against the Redskins, Stork did not start. He went it at RT after Vollmer, who was playing LT went down in the 2nd quarter, and the patriots had to move Fleming from RT to LT. Stork also played the entire game against the Giants at RT..
Stork did not start against the Bills

The Denver game was the first "start" he got at center during the 2015 season.

So, this idea of yours that he didn't come off the bench is fallacy.

Andrews started out as a 380 pound, tough, intelligent, captain of a an SEC Team and an UDFA. He was undersized everywhere except head and heart. The scounts dont measure those dimensions. Over the years he has grown to an NFL sized Center, and adept at Line calls. He may be near or even over 300 #s now, and no longer undersized or under strength. He is only entering his prime now, along with Shaq and Tunney, and the tackles, where rebuilding began a year or 2 earlier.

I think you meant to say that Andrews started at 280#, not 380. Andrews was 295 at his Pro-Day weigh-in..

Didn't he allow like 1 sack this year? wtf are you all talking about? Clearly BB disagrees.

Tough and smart. I like it.

EDIT: Line sucked with Stork and his headbobbing

Andrews started out as a 380 pound, tough, intelligent, captain of a an SEC Team and an UDFA. He was undersized everywhere except head and heart. The scounts dont measure those dimensions. Over the years he has grown to an NFL sized Center, and adept at Line calls. He may be near or even over 300 #s now, and no longer undersized or under strength. He is only entering his prime now, along with Shaq and Tunney, and the tackles, where rebuilding began a year or 2 earlier.
Yep and I think the Pats project him as continuing to improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back