PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Revis announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

This gloating newspaper cover didn't age terribly well.... if I am not mistaken, this upcoming season is (i.e. would have been) year 5 of the above mentioned 5 year deal...

Worse. It would only be year 4 :D

Old news, he actually retired in the 4th quarter of the Chief’s loss to Tennessee in the playoffs.

Darrelle Revis Announces Retirement From The NFL

Robert Alvarez

Darelle Revis announces retirement from the NFL over social media.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I don’t care that the guy’s a “mercenary.” You know who are biggest mercenaries in the entire NFL? The 32 owners that comprise the ownership of all the teams, plus one ginger headed, red faced liar who sits in NY on a fake throne while playing a bad Disney villain. All Revis did was play the same game as the owners: he just played the game better and cared less about people thought of him. Players sign non-guaranteed contracts and teams cut their playing all the time to avoid paying bonuses, even though these guys will run through a wall to play. Revis manipulated and used every tactic to his advantage for monetary rewards, just as the owners do.

The only criticism I have of Revis (besides his dumb deflategate comments - though you need to realize most players spent 1/1000th time studying the case than Patriots fans) is his complete lack of effort in his final game in KC. Other than that, he played as hard as he could until his skills eroded. His study habits and work ethic are everything you’d want from a high paid superstar. I STILL think he was underpaid during his prime, or at the least, one of the few players who actually got his market value, rather than a fake long-term deal that looks great until you realize less than half of it will actually go to the player because they are backloaded (and probably closer to 25% of it when you factor in taxes, agent commissions, etc.). His last Jets contract was a stroke of genius...he took advantage of suckers from a position of leverage and sensed their desperation to sign him, just like a good team GM will do when a player’s stock is low.

Considering the final margin of SB49 and the fact the Patriots gave up something like 3 total fourth quarter points in the last 8 games that year (when passing typically becomes more critical and predictable), I don’t believe we are 5X champs without Revis. Thanks for the banner, 24.

Last edited:

This gloating newspaper cover didn't age terribly well.... if I am not mistaken, this upcoming season is (i.e. would have been) year 5 of the above mentioned 5 year deal...
Actually, this upcoming season would still only be year 4 of the 5 year deal, so the pathetic ass Jets paid him a huge guarantee to play a lousy 2 seasons in 2015 and 2016, then paid for his year three services as a member of the KC Chiefs, where he still only played in 5 games.

He was here for the 2014 SB run, so he left for the return to NY in the early spring of 2015.

But at his peak the guy was a glitch. No CB has played at a higher level over the last decade than Revis at his best.
I let my SiriusXM subscription expire in the car and got stuck listening to Mark Madden on a local station here in Pittsburgh, today. I’m not sure if he’s nationally recognized or not, or on what level that may be, but he’s quite a blowhard to say the least.

His thoughts on Revis were that there were only 3 CBs better than him and two of those were Steelers (go figure). He had Blount as the best CB ever, followed by Woodson and Sanders. Revis was 4th overall on his list, which surprised me a lot. I always assumed that he was a top 15-20 CB of all time, but never considered him to be a top 4-5.

Did he make enough to buy his own revis island?

I wonder if he goes into coaching in some capacity. With his HOF talent, he seems like he would have a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

He always fed his family.

I wonder if he goes into coaching in some capacity. With his HOF talent, he seems like he would have a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

How much is starting salary?

You have to have a certain amount of respect for Revis. These players get hosed left and right by the league and the owners. Their careers on average are only 4 years. I think we can all agree that Revis got every last penny he could out of the teams that employed him.

The best part is that Revis will go down as one of the greatest players in Jete history, won a Superbowl with the Pats.

You have to have a certain amount of respect for Revis. These players get hosed left and right by the league and the owners. Their careers on average are only 4 years. I think we can all agree that Revis got every last penny he could out of the teams that employed him.

The best part is that Revis will go down as one of the greatest players in Jete history, won a Superbowl with the Pats.
He recognized it was a business, and like many people today, he built his “resume” and continued to shop his skills amongst all the companies that might in the market for his skills. Like many executives today that have a pretty good list of companies they worked for.

I let my SiriusXM subscription expire in the car and got stuck listening to Mark Madden on a local station here in Pittsburgh, today. I’m not sure if he’s nationally recognized or not, or on what level that may be, but he’s quite a blowhard to say the least.

His thoughts on Revis were that there were only 3 CBs better than him and two of those were Steelers (go figure). He had Blount as the best CB ever, followed by Woodson and Sanders. Revis was 4th overall on his list, which surprised me a lot. I always assumed that he was a top 15-20 CB of all time, but never considered him to be a top 4-5.
Blount and Woodson are two of the best though. I bet he’s biased but you can definitely make a case for those two both being in the top 5.

Blount and Woodson are two of the best though. I bet he’s biased but you can definitely make a case for those two both being in the top 5.
Yeah, I can see those two for sure, but I was pretty surprised that he had placed Revis that high.

Yeah, I can see those two for sure, but I was pretty surprised that he had placed Revis that high.
I think there’s several CB’s in years past that performed just as well, if not maybe even at a better level than Revis did.

The difference is that Revis played at that same level, despite all of the modern day rules going against him.

Would you put revis ahead of woodson and champ? Both those guys had more longevity .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down