PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Etling Signs 4 Year Contract. (Merge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm...guys? The last two QBs the Patriots drafted were both starters in the NFL last year, remember? Where was the "arrogance" in drafting Jimmy G., a consensus 2nd rounder, in the 2nd round?

Etling was a 7th round flyer. I totally agree that his tape is ugly, and most didn't expect him to be drafted. On the plus side are NFL caliber arm strength, and great intelligence and work ethic (SEC scholar-athlete of the year). Then there's the report that he's been retooling his mechanics with Tom House in the offseason.

I'm not jumping up and down about him, but as a camp QB with some signs of greater potential, why not? It certainly doesn't approach the "arrogance" of drafting never-played-a-game Matt Cassel.

BB will trade him for a fourth or fifth round pick within the next couple of seasons. :D

I see he’s from Tera haute. Got me thinking about trash can man in the stand book.

“They’re gonna put you in the nut house up in Tera haute trash, put you in the nuthouse and give you a thousand shock treatments”

That can be worked on. At least he didn't throw it up for grabs when he paniced (2 ints last year).

He would run for it when he panicked. Not sure that's gonna work in the next level with his athleticism.

He'll end up in the IR for some undisclosed injury or released and then back in as practice squad player. We're not wasting a roster spot for him.

The Cards sign my Princeton binkie Kanoff....you know...just **** off you mangy Cards...I hate your phony azzed team and your idiotic acquisitions of "Saint" Warner and Carwreck Palmer decades past their primes.
All my QB binkies gone
Luis Perez?

You can have the number 1 overall pick with an obvious quarterback that everyone knows we should draft like a Peyton Manning or John Elway and Belichick will draft some unknown that nobody has even heard of. That's his MO. Arrogance? I don't know but it's what he does.

What he does is get us to the AFCC game every year. Arrogance? No. It's called results. Just. Stop.

The amount of people here insinuating that this is the origins of another Tom Brady draft story being written before our eyes is honestly insulting to Tom Brady.

I don't think anyone expects to see another Tom Brady ever. But who knows, maybe this kid could learn to be a pro QB. If that happened it would make for a fun time in Patsville. The haters' heads would explode.

Maybe Bill figured that last time he drafted a quarterback from a big time, talented school that suffered from abysmal offensive coaching it worked out pretty well.

.....Nothing against Lloyd Carr (Brady's coach at Michigan), but he really couldn't figure out until the last five games of Brady's career that Brady was clearly his best option to win instead of Drew Hansen? I know that Brady has vastly improved since then, but as an example of his college work look at his victory over a very good Alabama team in the 2000 Orange Bowl where he threw for 369 years and 4 TD's. It wasn't obvious to Carr that Brady should be starting from day one of that season? :rolleyes:

OK, enough ranting, back to the point. Last year LSU was a very, very talented team, but the coaching of the offense was absolutely laughable (and the butt of many jokes in the SEC), with all sorts of pointless before-the-snap motion that didn't really serve any purpose and looked like the Keystone Cops. Their head coach, Ed Orgeron seems like a good defensive coach, he just hired the wrong offensive coordinator (now gone), he'll probably get it sorted out.

Anyway, maybe Bill simply tried to find the quarterback from the worst (offensive) coached talented team he could find and settled on Danny Etling, it worked pretty good for him last time with a certain Tom Brady. :D

What he does is get us to the AFCC game every year. Arrogance? No. It's called results. Just. Stop.

How many times has Bill Belichick led a team to the AFCCG without Tom Brady as his quarterback?

Etling is a fine choice. Athletic, smart, good arm and comes from a pro style offense. Also regarded low enough that we should be able to get him onto the PS.

We can look at him for a year for free (no roster spot), most likely move on but maybe get lucky.

I see he’s from Tera haute. Got me thinking about trash can man in the stand book.

“They’re gonna put you in the nut house up in Tera haute trash, put you in the nuthouse and give you a thousand shock treatments”
Maybe he'll blow stuff up too.... In a good way.

Etling was a trash quarterback at the college level. They should have just left QB alone and went elsewhere with the pick. At least they got Berrios, though, so that makes up for this extremely questionable pick. That said, it’s a late pick, so I don’t absolutely hate it. I’d just like to know what the hell they were watching when evaluating him.

Post draft hysteria: NE coach sucks. Time to fire everyone. Lowest grade of all the teams. Titans and Vrabel kick Belichick arse. Nobody knows hat they are doing. Did I miss anything?

You forgot the disgrace thing and a plethora of curse words but yea.you captured the essence of the draft pretty well. Jk

Strangely, after thinking it over, I’m happy with it. There’s always a lesson to learn when I watch these guys do anything. I always get mad and expect them to act like the other teams. Then I look over at the lions and browns.

Maybe he'll blow stuff up too.... In a good way.

I believe he will. If he’s half as obsessed as brady, we got a winner here. If not, we can sell him a gasoline truck and a map of the meadowlands

Seems I recall there was also a fella from Terre Haute done come here and played a little hoop, or so I think.

How many times has Tom Brady led a team to the AFCCG without Bill Belichick as his coach?
The difference is as a QB Brady was a winner in college and that clutch streak he is known for existed back then as well. He had a comeback kid moniker and won big games for his team.

As a HC BB had a losing record and had the worst winning percentage of any longtern (IE more than 2 years) Brown coach in history before him and before the franchise became the Ravens.

Not saying one is more important than the other, but Brady's career was only going to be negative if he never got a shot and he continued on the trajectory he was on since college because people took a chance on him, Belichick's career trajectory took a massive turn when Brady got there and a lot of his roster building is benefited by Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe