PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
except this play:

12/15/2013 vs. dolphins:

there were playoff implications to that dropped catch--the patriots lost to the dolphins, ended up 12-4 and the 2nd seed in the playoffs instead of 13-3 and the 1st seed, had to travel to denver in the AFC championship where we all know what happened.

I would hardly call that a drop. The DB is all over the ball.

this is one of those moments i wish i had the energy to go find the amendola threads when he first was coming here.....i've been on his bandwagon from the get go

he's another entry on the list of ultimate patriots....always team first, always does his job, gets it done when it counts most

oh yeah, i agree, it would have been a really tough catch. just responding to ALP's post--the "most clutch WR we have ever had, possibly the NFL has ever seen" probably would have made that catch.

except this play:

12/15/2013 vs. dolphins:

there were playoff implications to that dropped catch--the patriots lost to the dolphins, ended up 12-4 and the 2nd seed in the playoffs instead of 13-3 and the 1st seed, had to travel to denver in the AFC championship where we all know what happened.

Thanks for the reminder.

That entire game was one feck-up after another. Had Brady led him properly, Amendola would likely have made the catch.

The CB punched it out with his right hand. Nothing DA could do, just a great play by the D in that case. The furthest possible thing from a drop.

He's had a few drops but they are pretty hard to recall, and seemingly never when a game's in the balance. He competes for the 50-50 ball like nobody's business, especially given his size. He makes the fingertip catch, as in the last SB just after Edelman's miracle catch. Underrated speed, gets open, fearless. Great player.

Amendola has been kind of a strange player for us....
....We initially got him to be a top receiving target but he's always been the 3rd or 4th option at receiver. Love what he has done for us.

Right, in 2013 he was a disappointment but has been a nice contributor after since expectations and his role had changed.

He is an ideal 4th/5th wide receiver on the depth chart because........

1.) Brady trusts him

2.) Knows/Accepts his role - he realizes he's down on the depth chart and isn't a young guy clawing to get more plays

3.) Is super clutch - despite limited reps, always seems to make the clutch grab when his number is called

4.) Value - has been willing to take a pay cuts to stay with the team

So all in all he is perfect for his role, affordable veteran with good understanding of the playbook AND good chemistry with Brady that can make clutch plays whenever his number called. (He would be a perfect pinch hitter in baseball.)

Here's a good one, too........the crazy part is that this isn't even his best catch of this game (I'll see if I can find the other)

I can't find a clip of just the play but you remember with Jimmy G vs the Cards on the 3rd and 15 in the 4th down 1 point. who gets open? Amendola for the first down.

Ended up with a FG on that drive that put them ahead where they stayed.

If you look at Amendola's stats with the Patriots, you are almost forced to conclude he is a giant disappointment considering his contract in 2013. Yet he is easily one of the most beloved players in team history, and the team might not have any Super Bowls this decade without him. In some ways he became the opposite of Welker. He never had the dependability and production that Welker had. His statistical output pales in comparison. But his career is filled with critical clutch plays in the biggest games, whereas Welker's most infamous plays involve playoff failures. And of course, Amendola has been playing for peanuts the last few years because he loves the game and realizes what he has in NE; Welker's exit was like a clown show.

If you could give a spot in the Patriots Hall of Fame to either Amendola or Welker, are there any fans who wouldn't vote for Amendola?

I had Dola in fantasy back for the Rams in 2010 and he had like 80 catches 700 yds and I think I got him in the last round and went on to win a title and some $. I was all in and thought he was a cant miss type pick up for our slot WR needs after Welker moved on.

While he never turned into that same guy (hey i knew he had injury history) he is super clutch and just always shows up and shows out in the playoffs or in tight games.

DOLA..D..O..L..A..DOLA (sung to the tune of LOLA)

The Broncos got stomped by Seattle instead of us hearing about how Brady is 3-3 in SBs ?

We most probably would have looked better than Denver but the 2013 team was so full on injuries that they wouldnt have had a real chance against Seattle.

Chris Jones and Joe Vellano instead of Vince and Tommy Kelly.. DJ Williams instead of Gronk.. Amendola with torn groin, Dobson with refractured bone in one of his feet.. Slater running go routes..

Last edited:
As some folks have pointed out, Amendola always seems to catch the one before "The Catch." We all can recollect some of those big third-down catches on many Brady drives - it always feels like DA is clutch.

Well someone has run the statistics, and the reason Amendola seems clutch is that he is clutch:

Also this interesting statistic - not sure how far back it goes:

Anyhow I thought it would be nice for folks to post some of their favorite Amendola receptions here.

Here to start is the brilliant Amendola catch and Brady throw from the recent game:

Great idea for a thread and a perfect time for it. Kid Clutch has taken too much flack over the years in Patsville.

this is one of those moments i wish i had the energy to go find the amendola threads when he first was coming here.....i've been on his bandwagon from the get go

he's another entry on the list of ultimate patriots....always team first, always does his job, gets it done when it counts most

Bringing out Amendola threads from the past would only embarrass some of his fans. They've been pretty hard on him.

And you're right about those early threads. The bandwagon you mention has loads of late passengers from this message board. An entirely different tune was being played on all types of instruments around here in DA's early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST