PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Dalton Keene

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has “no idea”?
I disagree.
I don’t know “every draft professional“...You may know people in higher places than I do. Many teams TRADE DOWN because they don’t like the spot they are in for the player they want and they accumulate future draft capital and still get the guy they want at a lower spot. That is the exact opposite of what you wrote in the last paragraph.
They don’t trade down because they want a player in the slot but guess he will go later. They trade down based upon nor having a player they value in that slot.
I mean if you want to think that teams are ready to pick a player then say wait kiper has him rated a round later, let’s trade down because kipers always right and no one will take him, ok, but I disagree.

The NFL draft is a very thinly traded market, so it's not surprising that the "market value" of a prospect should be volatile. The Pats are one of only 6 teams that don't belong to a scouting organization, so of course their picks often look like reaches: with the number of subscribers to BLESTO et al, there's no real secrecy of scouting opinions amongst subscribers, that really does create more of a draft market value consensus for 26 teams...
Are you under the impression that teams take ratings of a scouting service and that’s their board with no internal scouting film review, interviews, etc?

I think they took Keene instead of Trautman, who is a more traditional TE, because Keene is more versatile. Only time will tell if it was a good move or a mistake to take him over Trautman. Keene is the Swiss Army knife of TEs from the 2020 draft. I'm hoping Keene is used correctly, and a lot. We certainly need him and Asiasi to be good pass catching TEs. Don't need them to be great, just need them to be good. If they wind up great, that would be a bonus.

I'm also hoping Danny Vitale is used like he was in college. He was a special type of weapon, a mini TE, 6'1" 245, and ran a 4.6 at the combine. Caught everything.
Trautman was a tad overrated by fans IMO, he played at Dayton so he put up big numbers but beyond decent mobility he needs a lot of work.

Virginia Tech runs a spread offense quite different than New England, they used Keene a lot on TE screens and had him blocking in motion but at 6'4" 253 pounds he is definitely a TE.

I just read this recently:

“When you watch Dalton play, you just don’t see a lot of things that we do. The Virginia Tech offense didn’t really translate too much to a New England Patriot offense,” Bill Belichick said after the draft last weekend. “I’ve already talked to him about that, that it’s going to be a big transition for him in terms of learning our system, being I would say more detailed, more specific on a lot of assignments, particularly in the passing game, learning how to block in close quarters.”

For now, Keene’s role in New England remains a projection. He’ll have to work on running downfield routes and developing his technique as a blocker in the trenches, rather than on the move (with a running start).

“Again, he shows plenty of ability to do that in size, quickness and so forth,” Belichick said. “He’s a smart kid. He’s athletic. He’s strong. He’s tough. I don’t see any reason why he can’t and won’t make those adjustments in time. We’ll work on it.”

patriotswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/29/bill-belichick-warned-dalton-keene-of-a-particularly-big-transition-from-college-to-patriots/

I agree wholeheartedly on Vitale, he is more than a smash mouth blocker, he could be an offensive weapon. He's a really good athlete.

Last edited:
Can a player be your favorite Pats player before his first practice with the team, because I'm on my way there with Keene, the more that I read about him and watch his video clips.

Like his one....Mankins'-like mentality at the TE position.

Tremendous story by Jeff Howe in The Athletic on Keene this morning.

Fuente texted Dalton Keene after he was drafted, “You’ll be remembered here for a long, long time.”

Shibest, too, gushed over Keene one last time before hanging up, “He’s just one of my freaking favorites to coach. I’m going to miss the hell out of him. The Boston area is going to fall in love with him.”

Howe also mentions how one NFL scout saw Keene block a man out of bounds, and then wait for the guy to come back in bounds so he could hit him again. Like I said... good stuff.

Are you under the impression that teams take ratings of a scouting service and that’s their board with no internal scouting film review, interviews, etc?

Of course I don't think that.

Fuente texted Dalton Keene after he was drafted, “You’ll be remembered here for a long, long time.”

Shibest, too, gushed over Keene one last time before hanging up, “He’s just one of my freaking favorites to coach. I’m going to miss the hell out of him. The Boston area is going to fall in love with him.”

Howe also mentions how one NFL scout saw Keene block a man out of bounds, and then wait for the guy to come back in bounds so he could hit him again. Like I said... good stuff.

How Dalton Keene (affectionately known as ‘Rambo’) paved...

Here's the link. Reading it gave me a Ramboner.

116BC3E1-69F6-42FB-B211-C7A412520EEC.jpeg

Dont know much about him (other than what I've read/seen on film, all of which I liked), but seems like he'd be capable of playing some fb. Badly needed, with Develin gone.
They say he's a strong runner, so possible triple threat,running,blocking, receiving.

They have Vitale and Jacobson. Vitale is a pretty good FB. Jacobson showed well in his limited time before injury.

The thing with this mentality and toughness is it comes with the exact same measurables as TJ Hockenson. As was posted before. He wasn't utilized as a true TE so there is a risk there regarding him converting to the usage of a true TE. Other than that, he has the mentality and toughness to be great and measurables which had Hockenson go in the Top Ten. Just have to hope he clicks in terms of the conversion to playing TE full time and all the nuances he'll have to learn.

Of course I don't think that.
That’s my point. There is no list that tells Belichick where other teams rate players.
At the point of choosing to take the player or trade down when they will go if you don’t take them is just not known, especially after round 1.
Which order the players go in isnt a known fact. So you can’t trade down because you know he will be there later, and if you like him enough to pick here it’s a pretty good guess others do too.

Last edited:
The Market dictates the stock value a player has. That dictates the round or area of the draft he will get picked. "I think they overpaid" for the kicker for sure.

What exactly does that even mean ?

This is not a fantasy draft where a player will have the same score at the end of the year completely independent of who picked him. There are a couple of players whose traits make them very good fits in certain schemes and those will have naturally a higher grade on them than teams where he'd be a square peg for a round hole. So evaluations of the same player among different teams will differ substantially especially once we are past the first 20-30 picks.

Which is already where most mock drafts run into issues because all those "experts" and "internet experts" just don't have the necessary insight into what roles exactly coaches and GMs want to fill by picking someone.

And while posters around here tend to use some kind of average player rankings almost in the same way as Madden Ratings thinking that if someone is drafted on average at #22 he must be clearly better than whoever gets drafted at #37 this is just not true.

So what market exactly is your opinion based on that the team "overpaid" for anyone ?

As numerous outlets have reported. The Panthers were allegedly very interested in Dugger. He could have been gone if they don't pick him at #37. The same holds true for the kicker. We have seen teams draft kickers ridiculously early in recent years. Who is to say he would have been available later.

Maybe more importantly why do you even assume that a team like the Pats who has historically one of the smallest draft boards even had any similarly rated players somewhere in the vicinity of where Rohrwasser was taken ?

They have Vitale and Jacobson. Vitale is a pretty good FB. Jacobson showed well in his limited time before injury.
Yeah. I think Belichick did a good job covering the position.
I don't think Keene is primarily going to be a fb, but I'm sure he'll play there some. We should see some 2te formations with him occassionaly in the backfield. The team is just better with a fb.

179th...6th round...Exactly where he should've been taken...and Absolutely, Positively, NEVER ahead of Adam Trautman and Harrison Bryant...Same goes for Assyassy...
Aye Aye, Captain :rolleyes:

AKA Rambo

Does Dalton go with a longer hair Rambo 2 version?

Does he pair with Wino and appear in a Conan theme style Pats promotional poster?

They don’t trade down because they want a player in the slot but guess he will go later. They trade down based upon nor having a player they value in that slot.
I mean if you want to think that teams are ready to pick a player then say wait kiper has him rated a round later, let’s trade down because kipers always right and no one will take him, ok, but I disagree.

A more accurate statement would be that they think they can get more value out of the pick by trading down than they can by using the higher pick.

For example, with the Chargers trade, they could easily have taken Dugger at 23, but they figured the likelihood they wouldn't get him at 37 was small enough to trade down and pick up 71 in the process.

Similarly, if you have 5 players more-or-less tied, and someone offers you a chance to trade down 3 spots, you know you're going to get at least one of your targets.

Does Dalton go with a longer hair Rambo 2 version?

Does he pair with Wino and appear in a Conan theme style Pats promotional poster?

If not, Edelman's media team is slacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back