PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Dalton Keene

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Keene...But...He was taken way, Way WAY Too Feckin Early.....and he should've never, Ever, EVAH been taken ahead of Adam Trautman.

Someone named Gronkowski was taken to early because of a serious back issue.

Someone named Gronkowski was taken to early because of a serious back issue.

There’s no comparison. Gronk was among the top 50 prospects in his draft class despite that.

I personally think Trautman was the better TE, I think most folks did. That being said, it doesn't take away the fact that Keene is a talented player. It'll be interesting to see how they use Keene.

I agree. On tape he looks smaller than his actual size. Maybe it’s the #29...
I think he doesn't run too upright, more in a bent over fashion. Whereas Asiasi looks at least 6'4", but he's not.

There’s no comparison. Gronk was among the top 50 prospects in his draft class despite that.

That’s not the point. Clearly Gronk was a much better talent. Nobody drafted Gronk in 2020.

I think he doesn't run too upright, more in a bent over fashion. Whereas Asiasi looks at least 6'4", but he's not.

Agreed...Asiasi looks taller then 6’3” out there.

This is exactly why I don't follow mock drafts or most draft analysis until about a month before when all my stuff is finalized or close to it. I still couldn't tell you who had which prospect where regarding most.

There are a lot of smart people out there but most are really going by consensus and don't want to be different. That's just not the reality of what happens though.

I had Trautman as TE1 but the difference between him and Asiasi wasn't huge at all. It's very possible others had him as TE1-TE3 or w/e.

Very possible we had Asiasi and Keene as top 3 TE. Keene was right behind Trautman at TE2 in terms of testing / athletic profile. So again it's very possible we had him higher on our board.

I can't complain about where we took our prospects. Most were all aligned with my grades. Had a 2nd Dugger. 3rd on Asiasi, 4th on Keene. 3rd on Uche. 4th on Jennings. 6th on Onwenu. 3rd on Smith. 4th on Herron. 5th on Thomas. 3rd on Lewerke. I might have went in another direction but grades are on the same page for the most part.

Regardless of what you think we have to give them time to see how they develop and are integrated into our system.

At the beginning of the draft I wrote about what Bill knows and what we know he can do for certain. That put together and develop a defense. We've seen this for decades. Bill knows defense, so it shouldn't be surprising that's where we went. Trust me I get being frustrated and understand where it comes from.

Remember we're coming off a 20 year SB run though. We've had more success than any sports fans in history over the last few decades. Bill had the luxury of Tom but is more than capable of building a winner imo. I'm giving this rebuild a full year before I have any real thoughts, criticisms or applause. And even that might be too soon.

I think this year is all about seeing if Stidham takes the job and makes it his. From camp until the end of the season. See how he progresses.

At the same time Bill will be evaluating the rest of the roster for his final run.

it’s going to be interesting to see how bb uses this kid,

hopefully he can play special teams.

Hey Bacon,

Do you think Keene can play any FB for us?

it’s going to be interesting to see how bb uses this kid,

hopefully he can play special teams.

There's no question he's going to make the roster.

I like Keene...But...He was taken way, Way WAY Too Feckin Early.....and he should've never, Ever, EVAH been taken ahead of Adam Trautman.

Agreed. Trautman has height, downfield separation ability, good hands, and he was VERY productive in college. Why pass on a guy like that for a much smaller projected 6th rounder? Keene is an animal and great competitor but we had a chance to pair up two legitimate TE prospects in Devin and Trautman. Why did BB overthink this.

Hey Bacon,

Do you think Keene can play any FB for us?
For some packages, sure. When we go heavy to convert sy/gl. Hoping we take advantage of his hands coming out the backfield as well though. Hoping he's 4 down player for us. Known particularly for his rec/yac/blocking.

I think GB will look to do more of what you're asking with Degaura.

Agreed. Trautman has height, downfield separation ability, good hands, and he was VERY productive in college. Why pass on a guy like that for a much smaller projected 6th rounder? Keene is an animal and great competitor but we had a chance to pair up two legitimate TE prospects in Devin and Trautman. Why did BB overthink this.
We’ll see about Keene. I don’t agree with trading up for him. I think Devin Asiasi is a legitimately good pick though.

This isn’t the second coming of Gronk/Hernandez obviously or even a poor mans Gronk/Hernandez. But just getting some competency at the position is a big improvement.

I don’t love or hate the pick.

For some packages, sure. When we go heavy to convert sy/gl. Hoping we take advantage of his hands coming out the backfield as well though. Hoping he's 4 down player for us. Known particularly for his rec/yac/blocking.

I think GB will look to do more of what you're asking with Degaura.

Was wondering whether he can replace Develin's contributions as a lead blocker. The guy in this podcast...

...at 23:44 claims there is lots of great tape of him as a lead blocker at V-Tech. If he can adequately replace Develin in the FB lead blocking role then his receiving skills could add a lot of matchup options in sy/gl situations.

Was wondering whether he can replace Develin's contributions as a lead blocker. The guy in this podcast...

...at 23:44 claims there is lots of great tape of him as a lead blocker at V-Tech. If he can adequately replace Develin in the FB lead blocking role then his receiving skills could add a lot of matchup options in sy/gl situations.

Absolutely. He's a very good all around blocker. I just think we use him as that do-it-all type guy. We'll use him on whams, cracks, coming out the backfield into the slot. Interesting thought of a FB convert I was thinking about that for months. I'm loving this pick.

Ryan Weyker on Twitter

Just go clarify a bit in case anyone's wondering about his blocking. He's definitely not great but he's good enough all around. Detached, inline, lead, space... I mean he really is a chess piece. Clean up some footwork on the edge. Better leverage/hand placement when leading. Added NFL strength will help of course. He's good though. Him and Asiasi, I bet you'll see both moved around quite a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey