PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran's reporting on Mayo being the next head coach

All of a sudden that Bill is fired it’s like half the fanbase got amnesia and doesn’t understand why…..despite calling for his head all season.

It’s not bill the coach.

It’s Bill the Gm, bill the drafter, and how bill filled his coaching staff.

Bad drafts, poor free agency, ignoring the offensive side of the ball. Only filling his coaching staff with friends/family while having the smallest staff in the league.

And when they brought in BoB to try and maybe bring some college offense in. Bill sulked and hamstrung him telling him he could only have Patricia guys so they never could really change anything.

no one is replacing a bill the coach whomever is hired. They will be a step down.

But we need better Gm, better drafting, better offseason approach to building an offense, better offensive coaching approach, better coaching staff.

We just learned last year that an amazing coach with a garbage roster is still the worst in the league….
It has never been about Bill the coach. Kraft explained it all yesterday during his answers.

What happened was Bill was running the organisation. His power grew over the years until it was too much with nobody inside the organization being able to keep
Him in check and protect him from himself. I think that Scar, Ernie and Josh were the last person being able to tell Bill no! Scar retired at the end of the 2019 season, Ernie before the 2021 season and Josh left after 2021 too. The last 2 years Bill had no control and we know the result.

Bill became too big and it was impossible to strip some of that power away. Unfortunately to get rid of that Bill you also have to get rid of Bill the coach.

I am not against Mayo, I think he is a good coach and will be able to keep the continuity with the defense that is already good.

I’m interested in Mayo taking over instead of Vrabel. I worry that it’s still too early for him but he is definitely a smart guy and a good leader. Just look at the defense this year. They played hard for him despite a 4-13 season with the most frustrating offense of all time. That speaks to something about his coaching.

they played hard for steve
Seems he’s still pretty connected

worse

he's a shill for management and undercut Bill all year

he's even worse than Felger

This is a lazy take. Look at the timeline of events. This was carefully orchestrated and not by Mayo. Per Reiss, Kraft doesn't attend Steelers game, where despite the win, Pats are eliminated from playoffs. Shortly after, Curran comes out w/ his article about Germany game. Two days later, Bedard slams Mayo based on 'multiple sources.' Per Reiss, Kraft again misses Broncos road game (a rarity). After loss to the Bills, Mayo is told to respond to Bedard's article. Two days later, Herald slams dysfunction within Bill's team. Three days later Jets beat Pats at final home game.

Dec 7 - TNF Pats beat Steelers (Kraft no show)
Dec 7 - WK 14: Pats eliminated from playoffs
Dec 12 - Curran "a decision was made" article
Dec 14 - Bedard on Mayo "rubbing ppl the wrong way"
Dec 17 - Chiefs beat Pats
Dec 24 - Pats beat Broncos (Kraft no show)
Dec 31 - Bills beat Pats (Kraft leaves early)
Jan 2 - Mayo responds to Bedard article
Jan 4 - Boston Herald article on Pats dysfunction
Jan 7 - Jets beat Pats at home. 4-13 record
Jan 8 - Bill's morning PC - giving up GM
Jan 9 - Curran calls BS on Bill giving up GM
Jan 10 - Kraft fires Bill
Jan 11 - Kraft/Bill announcement

Krafts orchestrated this to prepare the fan base for both Bills' departure and the Mayo announcement. There is zero chance Mayo would stick his neck out to leak this to the media knowing Kraft was considering him for future HC. Too much downside.

I've gotta say, Krafts have more balls than I thought. Kraft knew this was going to be difficult to sell to the fans but his mind was made up. He was done with Bill. He used Curran to do his bidding.
Very plausible.

Well Curran was right about everything so far
I'd be super obnoxious if I were him after all the **** he got lol

One other possible piece to the story…Last week, when Bill was asked if Mayo would make a good head coach some day, he was very lukewarm.
Probably because he knew Mayo would be the likely successor at end of the season.

He's unlikable in the same way Reiss is likable.

One other possible piece to the story…Last week, when Bill was asked if Mayo would make a good head coach some day, he was very lukewarm.
Probably because he knew Mayo would be the likely successor at end of the season.
Certainly the defensive coaching by all had results.

Yeah, rightfully so. I already declared myself the ******* because I didn't see it sooner.

Hiring Mayo is dumb, Bill himself was maybe 10% of the problem the other 90% was the people employed by Bill all across the organization who weren't up to the job and many of them will hang around with Mayo as head coach as he doesn't have any clear non Patriots ties across the NFL.
You're saying that Bill was 10% of the problem and his hires were 90% of the problem. That sounds like a 100% Bill problem.

Mayo was a player and coach in the NYFL for many years and I'm sure he has ties outside NE.

Mayo also had knowledge ahead of time that he was going to be the HC and I'm sure he's been preparing for this day.

I'm pulling hard for this guy to make it, for himself and the team.

True. Kraft put himself into a box doing that. The Rooney rule and wanting to look forward thinking to his buddies means Mayo is a done deal.
In order to keep Mayo around Kraft may have made promises to him. There's nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with Kraft keeping his word. For all any of us know Mayo could be great. Give the kid a chance.

If it’s really Mayo, they won’t be winning many games anytime soon.
Two things:
1) Nobody has a clue how many wins they'll have.
2) They haven't been winning for years.

C'mon and sing along...
All we are saaay-innng... is give him a chance

Not actually Patrick Pass but still funny, and true.
It really is fascinating to see fans here knock Kraft's decision to hire Mayo as the HC, like they know more.

And, of all places, in a thread where Curran's reporting has proven to be spot on once again.

Having a bad day?

It really is fascinating to see fans here knock Kraft's decision to hire Mayo as the HC, like they know more.

And, of all places, in a thread where Curran's reporting has proven to be spot on once again.

Having a bad day?
An extremely high percentage of HC hires turn out to be bad ones. Maybe as high as 80-90%. So choosing an inexperienced guy without pursuing other options certainly can be questioned.

I’m not sure what Curran has to do with that though.

If Mayo went to the media that’s a ***** move.
You don't think that Bill uses the media after all his years in the league but relative newcomer Mayo does and he's a *****? You can't be serious.

You don't think that Bill uses the media after all his years in the league but relative newcomer Mayo does and he's a *****? You can't be serious.
To sabotage his HC, the guy who drafted him and gave him a job on his staff?

Yeah if true it’s a ***** move. I don’t believe he did, but if true absolutely.

To sabotage his HC, the guy who drafted him and gave him a job on his staff?

Yeah if true it’s a ***** move. I don’t believe he did, but if true absolutely.
As I learned when I read on it's possible that it was Krafty Bob. That makes more sense.

If it was Mayo, that kind of backstabbing is worse when everyone knows that changes are coming.

On October 22nd, the NFL Network reported the Pats and Belichick had done a “long term and lucrative “extension in the offseason. Within a couple of hours of that report, Tom Curran was on NBCBoston’s pregame show and contested that report saying his understanding was that Belichick was only signed through 2024. Weeks later the NFL Network “insider” who broke the “long-term, lucrative “ report corroborated Curran’s understanding that Belichick was only signed through 2024. That Belichick’s contract only runs through 2024 is pretty much an unchallenged fact at this point.

That Curran was right on such a pertinent fact. One that only the Krafts and Bill likely knew kind of gives him some credibility that he indeed has a source. It would have been very easy for ownership to refute Curran’s “the decision was made after the Germany game report”. But, the Krafts have been as quiet as church mice since.

You don’t even need to be an insider to believe Jerod Mayo is likely to be Bill’s successor. His imminent resigning was mentioned in the Pats letter to their season ticket holders last offseason. Bob Kraft even referred to Mayo as the “heir apparent “ in an interview with Judy Batista of NFL media at a league meeting last year.

Curran was also the Kraft’s mouthpiece in their tepid and too late pushback on Deflategate.
I need to listen(read) to you more.
You're a wizard

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes