Curran: "Pretty plausible" to think McNally was ordered to bring balls to 12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Looks like Curran is in the "shenanigans happened" camp. He feels McNally was instructed to take the balls down to 12.5 PSI if the refs left them over 12.5 PSI.

Tom E. Curran said:
When checking the Patriots footballs, 16 of the 22 PSI measurements taken at halftime were at 11 or above. Accounting for the ideal gas law and McNally’s alleged/presumed deflations, that means what? A quarter of a hiss? Less than a half-second of deflation?

Or maybe none at all? Maybe McNally was the fail safe for the officials. The one charged with making sure the officials didn’t "f***" Brady, like they did in October against the Jets.

How plausible is it that McNally was given marching orders to -- if possible -- check the footballs for 12.5 PSI after the officials measure (or squeeze them) and add air. And if they are overdone, return them to 12.5 PSI? If possible.

Pretty plausible.

Would this still represent the Patriots tinkering with something after final inspection? Absolutely. Would it be wrong? Absolutely.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/did-NFLs-inattention-to-PSI-lead-to-Deflategate

Are you aware that it is not illegal per the NFL rulebook to do so even if this is true. The rule just states they need to be between 12.5PSI and 13.5PSI. There is no rule that states that the balls can not be deflated to league sanctioned minimum levels after the ref check. The illegal part comes if the balls were deflated below the league sanctioned minimum(or maximum for that matter).

Is it plausible? Sure. But only after the gate of "we're pretty confident that tampering occurred" has been cleared. Which, to any person looking at this objectively, it hasn't been.

Is it plausible that McNally knew Brady would flip at Jastremski, who would pass it down, if the balls were too full and so took it upon himself to stick a pin in to protect his own backside against a Brady onslaught?

Yes, it is plausible.

Is it plausible that McNally had to take a leak?

Imagine that.

wishful thinking

Plausible? It is what happened.

How come Wells and everyone glosses over the fact that the guy said the refs had the balls at almost 16 psi and they were suppose to be more like 13.

Why would he say that in a text message after the jests game if that wasn't what Brady wanted? He was saying how Brady was pissed that they were too hard.

So we are suppose to take the text messages as 100% proof yet are suppose to ignore the fact that the refs are overinflating balls and Jastremsk said they were suppose to be more like 13.

F*CKING SHAM

all of this over a little air being let out. i blame obama for how dumb the media is in 2015.
there are real problems and we're talking about a deflated football.

brady should have an allen iverson type of press conference.

all of this over a little air being let out. i blame obama for how dumb the media is in 2015.

Because the media was really smart right up until 2008?

Guess you weren't around for Spygate. Believe it or not, the media coverage of that was even more ridiculous than this.

Blame the American public. People care more about the PSI in footballs and Bruce Jenner's titties and they do about an organization known for beheading Americans openly saying that they have people in our own backyard. This country seriously needs to be nuked.

The thing is I think that is plausible too. But there's no proof. "Well maybe this happened" being a standard of punishment is simply ridiculous.

I buy it too. But Curran is wrong about one thing. We're talking about the AFCCG balls only.

Not the past.

If they were at 12.5 PSI as Walt Anderson said, then they should have been at 12.5 - 1.22 at the half.

Not wishful thinking.

Jastremsk says the balls during the jests game were almost 16 PSI and then says they are suppose to be more like 13. Why the hell would he say more like 13 if Brady wanted them say at 11 PSI?

it's plausible, but it's wishful thinking that goodell will buy it.

Not wishful thinking.

Jastremsk says the balls during the jests game were almost 16 PSI and then says they are suppose to be more like 13. Why the hell would he say more like 13 if Brady wanted them say at 11 PSI?

And not only that, but those were texts. This wasn't testimony that the refs put the balls at 16 PSI. This was texts.

AND, Brady seemed to have been asked about it because the report detailed Brady telling Jaz to tell the refs that the rulebook states the balls need to be between 12.5 and 13.5

Because the media was really smart right up until 2008?

Guess you weren't around for Spygate. Believe it or not, the media coverage of that was even more ridiculous than this.

social media's made it 10x worse.

Are you aware that it is not illegal per the NFL rulebook to do so even if this is true. The rule just states they need to be between 12.5PSI and 13.5PSI. There is no rule that states that the balls can not be deflated to league sanctioned minimum levels after the ref check. The illegal part comes if the balls were deflated below the league sanctioned minimum(or maximum for that matter).

I'd love to see if this is true. Im not doubting you, but can we see the actual rule?

EDIT: Just checked it, and you are correct. The rule says nothing about not altering the balls to spec after they leave the refs possession. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

This country seriously needs to be nuked.

Considering there are millions of extremists that would love to make this happen I think you should remove it from your post.

Plausible? It is what happened.

How come Wells and everyone glosses over the fact that the guy said the refs had the balls at almost 16 psi and they were suppose to be more like 13.

Why would he say that in a text message after the jests game if that wasn't what Brady wanted? He was saying how Brady was pissed that they were too hard.

So we are suppose to take the text messages as 100% proof yet are suppose to ignore the fact that the refs are overinflating balls and Jastremsk said they were suppose to be more like 13.

F*CKING SHAM

Well, I think that's where the tampering comes in. Like was McNally ordered to tamper with the balls post-inspection to get them to 12.5 (a perfectly legal limit). And if he was, which is plausible, there is no proof at all that Brady ordered it. The wishy washy "generally aware" is what they are trying to tar Brady with. Because sure, I bet he was generally aware that he didn't like overinflated balls and went apeshit when they were. I'm sure he was quite aware of his conversations with his equipment manager about them. But the leap to ordering them to steal the balls away post inspection and deflate them by any means necessary is a giant one.

Curran is right. It is plausible. Without evidence, it's a plausible theory, and nothing more.

My wife hates football but asked what all this Deflategate stuff was about. Her eyes were glazed over after I explained what was going on and she said the almost the EXACT same thing. Of all the problems in the world and with this country, the media is spending this much time on under inflated footballs !!

Bingo...We have Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand