PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Patriots will be "extremely and uncharacteristically" aggressive in Free Agency

If Mariota is Bills take on being aggressive in free agency then he’s lost it.

Mariota is a talented guy athletically but my concern with him is, and always has been, I’d that he is far too mild tempered and simply doesn’t seem to have the killer instinct that I want from a QB, or from most positions for that matter.

That team is beautifully built. All they needed was the settling leader at QB.
Licht arrived in 2014 and his beautifully built team missed the playoffs 6 straight years.

Mariota is a talented guy athletically but my concern with him is, and always has been, I’d that he is far too mild tempered and simply doesn’t seem to have the killer instinct that I want from a QB, or from most positions for that matter.
Mariota fits my plan. He was the #2 pick and played well at times but hasn’t put it all together. Not a placeholder but a guy who has a shot to turn into a good starter in the right system with the right coaching. And you draft a qb in the first or by trading up in the 2nd.
His chance of becoming the man is probably lower but it’s not newton, Dalton or Fitzpatrick.

Mariota fits my plan. He was the #2 pick and played well at times but hasn’t put it all together. Not a placeholder but a guy who has a shot to turn into a good starter in the right system with the right coaching. And you draft a qb in the first or by trading up in the 2nd.
His chance of becoming the man is probably lower but it’s not newton, Dalton or Fitzpatrick.
What do you think he would Cost from a trade standpoint and cap space ?
I think mariota is an interesting Option if he doesn't Cost too much.

Licht arrived in 2014 and his beautifully built team missed the playoffs 6 straight years.

Unfortunately for him, Jameis Winston never developed. In 2019, Winston was first in the league in passing yards (5109) and second in the league in TDs (33), but was first by a great deal in interceptions (30). Winston had more INTs than the second QB in that category (the next QB had 21 INTs or a 9 INT difference) than Brady had INTs in the regular season (8). If the Bucs had an above average QB in 2019, they probably go to the playoffs with a winning record.

Again, this is a QB driven league and when you have a QB who averages just under two INTs a game, you are aren't winning many games.

Looking at my crystal ball I see 2 new free agent receivers a more mobile QB so they can let Thuney set the market.
I believe Patriots could get Mariota for a 4th rounder this year or a 3rd rounder next year
I think there is some competition for his services.
They said San Fran and Indy maybe suitors.

Mariota is a good kid and would be an upgrade over Cam. Not sure about how a kid from Hawaii would do in December in Foxboro. You can't get further away from Hawaii in the NFL than NE. Although there is a direct flight from Logan to Honolulu (if you have ever made that trip from the East Coast, you usually have a layover at LAX and maybe another stop too).

The Pats spent a 5th rd pick on a kicker who apparently cant kick last year, so sending the Raidah's a 4th for Mariota would be fine.

Looking at my crystal ball I see 2 new free agent receivers a more mobile QB so they can let Thuney set the market.

I think there is some competition for his services.
They said San Fran and Indy maybe suitors.

San Fran really doesn't want to go forward with Jimmy G do they?

I like the idea of Harris, Ragland not so much bc we have quit some big slow LB, what we need is a coverage LB, Clowney demands probably too much money

Yeah strange.
Maybe the trade to San Fran was a loaner til Brady retired or left.
Bills like I’ve come to collect a deal is a deal.
I'm pretty confident Jimmy is coming back. I'm basing this on nothing but a mixture of Spidey and common sense.

I trust your Spidey sense.
It's just too simple and form-fitting. The situation fits like a glove.

The fact he knows the offense already is too good to be true.

Trade a 2nd, 3rd, Gilmore...whatever..anything not too crazy.

Maybe they rework his deal. Base it on # snaps, games started, wins, yards etc. so he can make more $.

Stid the Kid is still the #2. Maybe he is cut. Whatever.

Draft a QB when appropriate. Keep Jimmy on his toes.

It's perfect.

It's just too simple and form-fitting. The situation fits like a glove.

The fact he knows the offense already is too good to be true.

Trade a 2nd, 3rd, Gilmore...whatever..anything not too crazy.

Maybe they rework his deal. Base it on # snaps, games started, wins, yards etc. so he can make more $.

Stid the Kid is still the #2. Maybe he is cut. Whatever.

Draft a QB when appropriate. Keep Jimmy on his toes.

It's perfect.

I think there is a good chance Jimmy comes back too. It also makes sense from a narrative perspective. If bill leads patriots to the playoffs with Jimmy G he can say "see, i had my guy but they made me trade him away."

but the question mark is San Fran has to make a move for someone. My worry is they will test the waters and not find anyone better than Jimmy and stick with him another year. But the fact they are interested in Mariota tells me they really don't want to go forward with Jimmy G and are looking at anyone to replace him.

I like the idea of Harris, Ragland not so much bc we have quit some big slow LB, what we need is a coverage LB, Clowney demands probably too much money
Harris is a weird one. He had a good 2019, admitted he was chasing the money last offseason, and then ended up back in Denver for cheap. I'm not sure what would have changed in the past year to make a team offer him more money. The only red flag I see is that he was kicked off two teams in college in 2009 and 2013.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back