PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Loss all on McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the cornerbacks were bad...there was zero pass rush all game.

....bring back Troy Brown?

If arrington stays up and cathces that EASY Int..we are talking about him differenly as well. That is the play i want back

The difference between the Patriots now and the Patriots of yesteryear is this right here, IMHO. In the championship years these were the kind of plays that were made. Now, they simply are not being made. Ty didn't let easy INT's slip through his grasp. Even Ty Poole made the plays when they needed to be made. I know the rules were a little different, but it doesn't change the fact that the guys made the critical INT's and such when they mattered. That has less to do with the rules of the game and all that other stuff and more to do with the player simply making the plays.

McCourty has dropped 3 INT's so far this season that should have been caught. He made all of those plays during his rookie season. We all believed then that he was our next Ty Law. That's the only difference. It isn't scheme or any of that other nonsense. That's just all of us on the board over analyzing the situations. He made the plays during his rookie season and he hasn't made them since. It's as simple as that.

I like him and I feel he's been far more competitive this year than last. I feel that he's in position more this year than last to make the plays. He's simply just not making the plays at this point. The question becomes will he ever get back to making the plays? Only time will tell what happens. I am not a coach and I don't have access to all the film that the coaching staff has access to, so I could be wrong.

How about this: The loss was not all on McCourty and McCourty sucks, both apply.

Greg Bedard, who is far better at analyzing games than Curran (sorry Tom if you are reading because he is far better than most media people), says that McCourty played pretty well in the game other than a few plays. He is on WEEI right now saying this was his best game that he played while Bedard was covering the Pats. Here is part from his article:

It’s a shame that Devin McCourty dropped an interception and had the late penalty (the other one was ticky-tack), because this was his best game in some time with four pass breakups, a pass defensed, and another good pass coverage. Great play by McCourty to knock away the pass to Smith on third and 15 late in the third quarter.

Here is his take on the Pitta TD:

The Pitta catch-and-run touchdown is on Gregory. Yes, McCourty was there as well, but McCourty is expecting Gregory to at least force Pitta to him. McCourty wasn’t expecting Gregory to tackle the ground.

He also said on WEEI that McCourty approached the play exactly how they coach it.

Patriot defense didn’t look revamped in first test - Patriots - Boston.com

Again, sorry Tom, but I will take Bedard's analysis over Curran's.

Last edited:
I was only a reader , but same arguments are used for McCourty and Meriweather. Both suck, both busted, both are terrible players that are starters because theres nothing else and 1st round status is enough.

Greg Bedard, who is far better at analyzing games than Curran (sorry Tom if you are reading because he is far better than most media people), says that McCourty played pretty well in the game other than a few plays. He is on WEEI right now saying this was his best game that he played while Bedard was covering the Pats. Here is part from his article:

He also said on WEEI that McCourty approached the play exactly how they coach it.

The Pats coach players to put themselves in a poor position if a tackle doesnt go exactly as planned? McCourty took a horrible angle, nothing more to it than that.

Football plays seldom go exactly as one expects, if one doesnt have the improvisational skills to deal with someone else's missed tackle you're going to get more of the defensive garbage we had the other night.

Last edited:
Eh, different takes off the same film. Greg works hard at it, no doubt.

Have to say, though, if the tackling form showed on the Pitta touchdown is exactly the way the Patriots coach it, it's a wonder teams don't score 100 every week. You're on the scene to assist in the tackle, you break down and get in athletic position regardless of where you're leveraging.

Eh, different takes off the same film. Greg works hard at it, no doubt.

Have to say, though, if the tackling form showed on the Pitta touchdown is exactly the way the Patriots coach it, it's a wonder teams don't score 100 every week. You're on the scene to assist in the tackle, you break down and get in athletic position regardless of where you're leveraging.
Of course you are laying the blame where you want it to go, rather than where it belongs. But then you decided to take the comments of a guy upset about a tough loss and turn them into a hatchet job of an article, so why would we expect anything else?

The Pats coach players to put themselves in a poor position if a tackle doesnt go exactly as planned? McCourty took a horrible angle, nothing more to it than that.

Football plays seldom go exactly as one expects, if one doesnt have the improvisational skills to deal with someone else's missed tackle you're going to get more of the defensive garbage we had the other night.
So you think that when McCourty is approaching that play he should account for Gregory biting the dirt and Pita leaping over him instead of Pita cutting back inside? Remember that the next time a Patriot overpursues a play and you complain.

I was at the game. Anyone who thinks McCourty "sucked" is an idiot. You can't tell how DBs played by watching TV. This is coming from someone who's criticized McCourty a lot for his play last year.

He had a few bad plays, but for most of the night, he also had his man locked down. He made some crucial pass defenses, some great tackles, and he was jamming receivers at the line.

Stop using the guy as a scapegoat. The whole team is responsible for the loss. Putting it all on a guy who was actually one of our better players in that game is incredibly disingenuous.

I was at the game. Anyone who thinks McCourty "sucked" is an idiot. You can't tell how DBs played by watching TV. This is coming from someone who's criticized McCourty a lot for his play last year.

He had a few bad plays, but for most of the night, he also had his man locked down. He made some crucial pass defenses, some great tackles, and he was jamming receivers at the line.

Stop using the guy as a scapegoat. The whole team is responsible for the loss. Putting it all on a guy who was actually one of our better players in that game is incredibly disingenuous.

Claiming that a CB "had a few bad plays, but...." is right up there with "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...."

Claiming that a CB "had a few bad plays, but...." is right up there with "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...."
You expect corners to make no bad plays in a league where an average QB throws for 250 a game?
This isn't 1971

You expect corners to make no bad plays in a league where an average QB throws for 250 a game?
This isn't 1971

I expect corners to make the plays they are supposed to, and to not repeatedly get beat on routes they are specifically focused on defending, unless they are playing against the truly elite WRs of the league, like a Calvin Johnson. You seem to think that's unreasonable. I don't think it is.

I also expect my QB to avoid INTs. I expect my O-line to avoid giving up sacks. I expect my LBs to avoid missed tackles, etc... When there are failures in these, I consider that to be a bad thing.

I'm a harsh taskmaster that way.

Last edited:
So you think that when McCourty is approaching that play he should account for Gregory biting the dirt and Pita leaping over him instead of Pita cutting back inside? Remember that the next time a Patriot overpursues a play and you complain.

I didnt say that, don't put words in my mouth.

All we asked was that he catch at least one football and make a tackle. He does that, and we forgive him of his other mistakes. Is that so much?

All we asked was that he catch at least one football and make a tackle. He does that, and we forgive him of his other mistakes. Is that so much?

It's too much to ask McCourty to catch balls that hit him in the hands. However, it seems to be ok to call out Arrington, who fell down and never had the ball in his hands. :bricks:

It's too much to ask McCourty to catch balls that hit him in the hands. However, it seems to be ok to call out Arrington, who fell down and never had the ball in his hands. :bricks:

Couldn't agree more...i am sure we are confident that Arrington would have made that basket catch if he didn't stumble. Ofcourse anvil hands McCourty would have found a way to muff it.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST