PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Bills coming due for Patriots dynasty after this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read your thread title I thought you meant the Buffalo Bills and couldn't figure out what it meant. It might as well have been about the Buffalo Bills though. This article is depressing, more for the fact that Curran is supposed to be somewhat of a homer and yet he adopts the Chicken Little/The Sky is Falling mantra of so many others. Why can't someone in the sports media just enjoy what the Pats are doing right now? Marvel at how they manage to stay on top despite how hard it is to do so in the NFL year after year? Look at last year's Super Bowl Champs. They can't even come up with a winning record this year. I'm so done with the media. I shouldn't HAVE clicked.

Portents of doom. One the one hand people have been making them for the last 13 years. On the other eventually they'll be right. I feel like they'll reload and make another run after this year.

Tom Curran has changed quite a bit in the last year, or so. Up until that time I never considered him a "homer", just a guy who was fair and not a hater. But, around the time of the Wickersham piece, he began to be more of a gloom and doomer. I believe it's largely related to the fact that he and his sons are fairly long-standing Guerrero clients. He definitely took Brady's side in the at least perceived Brady/ BB rift.

When I read your thread title I thought you meant the Buffalo Bills and couldn't figure out what it meant. It might as well have been about the Buffalo Bills though. This article is depressing, more for the fact that Curran is supposed to be somewhat of a homer and yet he adopts the Chicken Little/The Sky is Falling mantra of so many others. Why can't someone in the sports media just enjoy what the Pats are doing right now? Marvel at how they manage to stay on top despite how hard it is to do so in the NFL year after year? Look at last year's Super Bowl Champs. They can't even come up with a winning record this year. I'm so done with the media. I shouldn't HAVE clicked.
Belichick is still the coach.

Advantage: Patriots

Tom Curran has changed quite a bit in the last year, or so. Up until that time I never considered him a "homer", just a guy who was fair and not a hater. But, around the time of the Wickersham piece, he began to be more of a gloom and doomer.
So tell us what's so wrong with Curran's piece.

When I read your thread title I thought you meant the Buffalo Bills and couldn't figure out what it meant. It might as well have been about the Buffalo Bills though. This article is depressing, more for the fact that Curran is supposed to be somewhat of a homer and yet he adopts the Chicken Little/The Sky is Falling mantra of so many others.
"Chicken little" is being irrationally negative. What do you specifically believe is irrationally negative about that piece?

He's not off on any of that. Thankfully, BB has been pretty good about re-stocking the team. But it wouldn't surprise me to see them part ways with guys like Gronk and Flowers. They could be in for a 2009 type season next year as they begin to reload.

The article could have used a less misleading headline.

I don't care to read doom and gloom articles. We know the end is coming. There's no need to dwell on it when we can still enjoy what is.

Curran is saying it's a result of going all in. That's partially true, but the bigger problem is poor drafting in recent years.

Last edited:
I agree that Curran has changed a bit, but while this article is focused on some of the negatives, there’s also a lot of truth to it, too.

9 players currently account for 105m of next year’s cap. Major moves will need to be made. There are questions about Gronk and Allen at the TE position, both in terms of poor value and also the questions with injuries/retirement talk. There is a void of talent (and bodies in general) at the WR position for 2019. The DL and LB groups do not look good moving forward. They don’t even really look that good now.

They attempted to restock future draft picks and we will most certainly be in something of a rebuilding phase, all while the GOAT QB and HC seem to be on limited time. I don’t see Curran’s fault in pointing that out, as much as we don’t want to hear it.

The big question will be whether or not they can rebuild on the fly quickly enough with certain positions and key moves that will be necessary. If they do that, we can still hope for another couple of years with Brady/BB competing at a high level.

Price vs. expected future production analysis, free from emotional attachments, has always driven a high rate of roster turnover in NE. Will next year be bigger than normal? It would appear so. But I trust BB to re-stock and keep it going, because the past 18 years tells me that he can.

Curran gained a lot of goodwill with his open & loud criticism of the NFL in the deflategate debacle, but he is spending it pretty rapidly this year, for some reason.

He's not off on any of that. Thankfully, BB has been pretty good about re-stocking the team. But it wouldn't surprise me to see them part ways with guys like Gronk and Flowers. They could be in for a 2009 type season next year as they begin to reload.

Yep it's not going to be easy but with expiring contracts comes opportunity: From an over the cap article regarding maximum cap space in 2019:

Rounding out the top five are the Patriots at $73 million (cap savings). That number does include $14.5 million for Tom Brady, which is not happening but I would think they have interesting decisions to make about Rob Gronkowski, Devin McCourty, and Donta Hightower and if they want to play those contracts out or consider other options. Dwayne Allen should be the one very likely cut.

Maximum 2019 Cap Space Per Team | Over the Cap

Curran's not been the same since he started with his gig on Comcast a while back. Even though he's not there as much now, he still hasn't straightened himself out. This article is a good example of that. It's barely a surface level scratch.

I don't care to read doom and gloom articles. We know the end is coming. There's no need to dwell on it when we can still enjoy what is.
“The point of all of this is, you should drink in these last 6 games and the playoffs regardless of the outcome. Because a 3.0 version of this dynasty is not being currently developed.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots