PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran article on Jets tampering

That's not very nice. How about this- the jets get Revis and Woody has to pay for the blue ribbon the Patriots get for coming in second in the Revis Derby?

That would be very fair, and most importantly it would be fair to the Jets. And that's what really matters.
I totally support your take on the den of bias and corruption that is Goodell's office and I expect the whole tampering issue to be swept under the rug. We will see what happens on the other issue

So apparently you feel the punishment the Pats got for Spygate was fair. Just like this case, the league knew the Pats were filming defensive signals and they warned the Pats to stop and they did it anyway. By your logic, the Pats losing a first and their massive fines were justified.

I personally don't. And I wouldn't for the Jets just because they are the Jets and the player in question is a Patriot.

If you want argue the deserve a punishment like the 49ers rather than the Lions because of repeat offenses, I am support that. But people are really making way too much of this. It really was not that big of a deal and will have no bearing on whether Revis stays or not.
Where did I even bring up the taping incident. I wasn't discussing the severity of any particular punishment. You're really all over the map on this. It might be better for you to consolidate your thoughts for a bit instead of posting a hundred times on the topic.

Where did I even bring up the taping incident. I wasn't discussing the severity of any particular punishment. You're really all over the map on this. It might be better for you to consolidate your thoughts for a bit instead of posting a hundred times on the topic.

I apologize I misread your post because you argued a point I never made that you attributed to me. I guess I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't just making up something I never said.

Please point out once where I said Pats fans shouldn't want the Jets to be punished. In fact, I have said repeatedly that I think they should be punished because stupidity is no a defense for rules violation.

I have never said that I think the Jets should not be punished nor did I think Pats fans shouldn't want them to be punished.

And I am not all over the map. I have been consistent the entire time. I think what the Woody Johnson did was minor and the Jets should and probably will lose a late round draft pick and be forced to swap a mid round pick with the Pats. Along the lines of other tampering punishments.

For now on I will give you the courtesy to read your posts closer. Maybe you should do the same with mine.

I'll believe it when I see it, Rob. I expect NOTHING from this Goodell/Kensil cabal except more blindly flailing attacks on the Patriots organization.

I just thought of a complication (and apologies if it's been brought up earlier in the thread):

As per Reiss' article today, everybody's going to tamper with Revis behind the scenes. It's part of the negotiating process. It may behoove the Celtics to be gracious about it, as part of having pleasant relationships with Revis' camp during negotiations.

What I'm thinking of is a former boss of mine who encouraged me to go out, look for a job, and get offers, so that he could take them to management and try to get them matched. (I was a stock analyst in the 1980s, which had some athlete-style dynamics in terms of income level, competition, and bidding-war offers.)

I'll believe it when I see it, Rob. I expect NOTHING from this Goodell/Kensil cabal except more blindly flailing attacks on the Patriots organization.

Kensil yes. I think he may be out to get the Pats.

But Goodell looks at Kraft as one of his most important allies. At least he did before a month or so ago. I think Goodell is incompetent and will screw up most things he touches, but I really don't think he is out to get the Pats. If Kraft feels that way, his days as Commissioner are numbered. He is probably one of two or three most powerful owners and is one of the biggest reasons why Goodell got the job anyway (the job was split evenly for Goodell and the guy he was running against and Kraft stepped up and convinced other owners to vote for Goodell).

I just thought of a complication (and apologies if it's been brought up earlier in the thread):

As per Reiss' article today, everybody's going to tamper with Revis behind the scenes. It's part of the negotiating process. It may behoove the Celtics to be gracious about it, as part of having pleasant relationships with Revis' camp during negotiations.

What I'm thinking of is a former boss of mine who encouraged me to go out, look for a job, and get offers, so that he could take them to management and try to get them matched. (I was a stock analyst in the 1980s, which had some athlete-style dynamics in terms of income level, competition, and bidding-war offers.)

If this thread goes into a tangent discussing Danny Ainge I blame you!!!

There is literally nothing you can say to someone who believes that Goodell has an unbiased bone in his body or the least bit of gratitude to Kraft for all his support.

So apparently you feel the punishment the Pats got for Spygate was fair. Just like this case, the league knew the Pats were filming defensive signals and they warned the Pats to stop and they did it anyway. By your logic, the Pats losing a first and their massive fines were justified.

I personally don't. And I wouldn't for the Jets just because they are the Jets and the player in question is a Patriot.

If you want argue the deserve a punishment like the 49ers rather than the Lions because of repeat offenses, I am support that. But people are really making way too much of this. It really was not that big of a deal and will have no bearing on whether Revis stays or not.

Then why did the league make the rule regarding tampering? And just because the pats punishment was out of line as far as patriot fans were concerned, the rest of the fan bases thought it was appropriate and some thought it was insufficient. Jet fans will think thier punishment is out of line, as did the detroit, SF and Denver and Miami when they were docked draft picks.

There is literally nothing you can say to someone who believes that Goodell has an unbiased bone in his body or the least bit of gratitude to Kraft for all his support.

Pats fans: "Goodell hates the Pats and is out to get him"

Pats Haters: "Goodell is in Kraft's back pocket. He destroyed the tapes to sweep their transgressions under the rug and he will do the same with deflated footballs."

Sorry, Goodell is an incompetent Commissioner in any way other than making the owners money, but if he was out to get the Patriots there is no way he would be Commissioner right now. Kraft stepped up for him in the Ray Rice case and he wouldn't have done it if he had an inkling that he had a bias against his team. And Kraft is no idiot.

Seriously, it stupid conspiracy theory crap to believe everyone in the NFL is against the Patriots. Kensil is against Belichick because Belichick crapped all over him in 2000 when he bolted the Jets to the Pats in a nuclear way. But Goodell has no reason to be out for the Pats.

First, they haven't ruled yet on this. People are getting up in arms for the League not punishing the Jets before they even rule on it.

Second, this would be unpresidented. Even when the 49ers were caught sending e-mails to Lance Briggs' agent to gauge his interest in joining the 49ers when he became a free agent and inquiring about what type of contract he was looking for, all Goodell did was strip them of a 5th and had the 49ers and Bears switch 3rd rounders. They still were not barred from signing Briggs when he became a free agent.

Anyone looking for more than a Jets getting a late round pick stripped of them and the Pats and Jets swapping mid round picks are kidding themselves.
Warned once on the subject this league year, massive fine as well. See placementgate for references.

Then why did the league make the rule regarding tampering? And just because the pats punishment was out of line as far as patriot fans were concerned, the rest of the fan bases thought it was appropriate and some thought it was insufficient. Jet fans will think thier punishment is out of line, as did the detroit, SF and Denver and Miami when they were docked draft picks.

I don't know why they made a rule considering they don't even enforce it unless someone so blatantly break it that they have to act. Otherwise, it is almost encouraged for teams to tamper with other players.

I agree that no matter what any punishment is doled out in any of the open cases, the fan base that gets the punishment will think they are being persecuted and the rest of the country will probably think they got off easy.

Warned once on the subject this league year, massive fine as well. See placementgate for references.

The difference is that tampering is allowed in the NFL as long as you do it behind the scenes and aren't stupid about it. I guarantee you that Revis and his agent are working the phones tonight taking offers from other teams to find out what the market is and whether they are going to take an offer from the Pats or force his release to sign elsewhere. It is blatant tampering and not one team will even get investigated for it.

Can someone remind me when Woody made his statement about Revis, wasn't it during the week leading up the the AFCCG? It was definitely during the playoff run, which in my opinion makes it worse of a "crime". Not only does it mess with negotiations, it also could've been a major distraction and had an impact on a game.

The difference is that tampering is allowed in the NFL as long as you do it behind the scenes and aren't stupid about it. I guarantee you that Revis and his agent are working the phones tonight taking offers from other teams to find out what the market is and whether they are going to take an offer from the Pats or force his release to sign elsewhere. It is blatant tampering and not one team will even get investigated for it.
DXv2hAl.jpg

Last edited:

Absolutely. The Celtics should try to maintain as gracious a relationship with Revis as possible. Hopefully Ainge is listening to you.

Read Mike Reiss' Twitter account. Florio's blog. Everyone is acknowledging that teams are tampering with Revis tothis weekend, but no one seems to think it is a big deal.

@mpc12pats Technically, they can not talk to Revis. But both sides have expectation that teams will & they will know market by March 9-10.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/574297581787938816

In response to a Tweeter saying the Jets can't contact Revis because he is under contract:

@bceagle76 Technically true. But assumed that contact will take place regardless.

The Revis camp likely will know what other teams would pay Revis, if he becomes a free agent. Technically tampering, it’s become common for agents to “gauge the market” when faced with a Door No. 1/Door No. 2 dilemma.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/pats-revis-talks-havent-happened-yet-but-will-soon/

The League looks the other way on tampering. They know everyone does it. They only care if you are stupid enough to get caught doing it. And everyone knows everyone tampers and no one in the media thinks it is a big deal. It is not like other forms of cheating.

Now if you want to talk about the hypocrisy of the league and media of the fact that they know teams cheat with tampering and act like it is no big deal yet people act like one or two pounds of pressure in a football is on the level of the Black Sox scandal, then I agree.

Otherwise, what I am saying makes 100% perfect sense. Tampering expected in the NFL unless you are dumb enough to get caught.

Last edited:
Read Mike Reiss' Twitter account. Florio's blog. Everyone is acknowledging that teams are tampering with Revis tothis weekend, but no one seems to think it is a big deal.

In response to a Tweeter saying the Jets can't contact Revis because he is under contract:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/pats-revis-talks-havent-happened-yet-but-will-soon/

The League looks the other way on tampering. They know everyone does it. They only care if you are stupid enough to get caught doing it. It is not like other forms of cheating.
Your stance on tampering isn't what's ridiculous. It's that you think that differentiates it from other infractions such as the camera placement.

Your stance on tampering isn't what's ridiculous. It's that you think that differentiates it from other infractions such as the camera placement.

Spygate was typically League reaction to the media and public. Just like everything else they do. They stick their finger in the air and gauge the media and public reaction. Filming signals was considered the equivalent of murder and Goodell reacted as such. The same thing with Ray Rice. The first video got a two game suspension type of reaction from the public (probably more, but I think Goodell underestimated the reaction). The second video was an indefinite suspension reaction.

Tampering is considered jaywalking to the NFL. Everyone does it. It isn't considered a big deal, but if you do it in front of a cop you might get a ticket. That is the attitude of tampering.

No one in the world thinks what Woody Johnson did was a big deal other than Patriots fans. Patriots fans wouldn't have cared either if it was Jerry Jones talking about Jeremy Maclin either. Most people wrote it off as Johnson being stupid. It is just the truth.

Spygate was typically League reaction to the media and public. Just like everything else they do. They stick their finger in the air and gauge the media and public reaction. Filming signals was considered the equivalent of murder and Goodell reacted as such. The same thing with Ray Rice. The first video got a two game suspension type of reaction from the public (probably more, but I think Goodell underestimated the reaction). The second video was an indefinite suspension reaction.

Tampering is considered jaywalking to the NFL. Everyone does it. It isn't considered a big deal, but if you do it in front of a cop you might get a ticket. That is the attitude of tampering.

No one in the world thinks what Woody Johnson did was a big deal other than Patriots fans. Patriots fans wouldn't have cared either if it was Jerry Jones talking about Jeremy Maclin either. Most people wrote it off as Johnson being stupid. It is just the truth.
Talking in circles and using a wall of words doesn't make you right.

If your running theory is that punishment is directly related to media and fan outrage why would you be trying to convince our fans to be less outraged about this?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back