PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran (again) - Are these Tom Brady's final days with the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be obtuse, but what was Curran referring to regarding “change in approach”?

- Patriots being willing to give a long term deal versus their unwillingness now?
- Patriots approach to building the offense around him (fewer rookie and retread skill players)?
- Both?
- Something else?

Both, though I think the first part is more about getting to a Drew Brees sort of number than getting to a bunch of years on the deal. According to Curran, that's basically what Brady was looking for this past offseason.

Brady goes to LA Chargers and they name McDaniels Head Coach.

Chargers send 2nd and 4th to Patriots for Edelman and the rights to Gronk.

Chargers:

QB: Brady
RB: Gordon, Ekler
WR: M. Williams, K. Allen, Edelman
TE: Gronk, H.Henry

That’s a damn fine offence

Brady goes to LA Chargers and they name McDaniels Head Coach.

Chargers send 2nd and 4th to Patriots for Edelman and the rights to Gronk.

Chargers:

QB: Brady
RB: Gordon, Ekler
WR: M. Williams, K. Allen, Edelman
TE: Gronk, H.Henry

That’s a damn fine offence

Hunter Henry is a free agent. I would love to see him here in 2020

Every problem has a solution. I think Brady is super pissed about the Brown situation. Bring him back as soon as the league will allow it and come to an amicable deal financially. If they cannot meet on those terms than it wasn't meant to be, but Bradys attitude and these Curran articles feel like posturing to me.

I think this is all BS. If Brady is so unhappy in the offense that he has played in for 20 years, he's going to go somewhere else and learn a new offense with a whole new group of guys? Isn't that even worse than what he is dealing with right now? I'm so tired of it. Just play for cripes sake, try to right the ship and try to go far in the playoffs.

And if he plays poorly, many people will forever say his success was a result of Belichick and the system.

Oh right, I forgot Bill and Josh are coaching the Giants this weekend :rolleyes:. If they can salvage a decent year out of Cassel, they can get something out of Eli, even at age 39.
Certifiable.

Every problem has a solution. I think Brady is super pissed about the Brown situation. Bring him back as soon as the league will allow it and come to an amicable deal financially. If they cannot meet on those terms than it wasn't meant to be, but Bradys attitude and these Curran articles feel like posturing to me.

Think we have finally gotten to be point that we should coin the term Brown's Law. Analogous to Godwin's law it states that the longer a thread goes on this board the higher the chance that AB will be mentioned as a solution to completely unconnected problems.

Why do we think it fair to demand that Brady keep eating **** sandwiches, rather than to demand that the team do a better job of both supporting him and paying him?

Are there times where they could have done more to get talent around him? Yes., although absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (i.e., just because we don't hear of an offer doesn't mean it wasn't made).

But as far as pay goes, he's accepted deals when he didn't have to (e.g., 2010), so he's never (technically) played a down in a contract year.

Sure.... and they got absolutely smoked by the Seahawks that year in the Superbowl.

2 years later they finally won a Superbowl, but Manning had nothing to do with it. Their defense was so legit, they would have won the Superbowl with me at QB... and I can barely throw a proper spiral (which kind of puts me on the same level at that houseface).

We're arguing in circles here. Someone mentioned Manning as a QB who improved that team, and he was right. He had one of the best year's ever for a QB. I do not doubt that Brady can put himself in a similar optimal situation and have an incredible year.

Curran loves to pile it on when things aren’t going well with the Patriots.

I would say 98% of media/ nfl want the Patriots to fail and wants Brady to retire or go to a different team.

That being said Brady isn’t worth 30m a year.

Sentimental or not 30m for a 43-44 year old QB is absurd.

Edit to add: This team is never going to invest in big money on the WR position, I think in some ways Brady is tired of it.

nor should they in my opinion. There’s plenty Of good ones

Are there times where they could have done more to get talent around him? Yes., although absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (i.e., just because we don't hear of an offer doesn't mean it wasn't made).

Huh? We know of it happening just this past off season. They missed on multiple receivers they wanted, reportedly due to low and/or tardy offers.

But as far as pay goes, he's accepted deals when he didn't have to (e.g., 2010), so he's never (technically) played a down in a contract year.

That's irrelevant to the issue. The team could have offered more at any time. The team not only chose not to, but had the owner talking about how he wouldn't pay his QB X% of the cap.

We're arguing in circles here. Someone mentioned Manning as a QB who improved that team, and he was right. He had one of the best year's ever for a QB. I do not doubt that Brady can put himself in a similar optimal situation and have an incredible year.

Absolutely. The idea that Brady wouldn't be an upgrade for teams with playoff levels of non-Qb talent such as, say, Dallas, Tennessee, or L.A. is an absurdity.

Don't know where Curran stands with Brady these days, but he certainly is close to Guerrero. So I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as just clickbaiting hawt taekz.

Guerrero wouldn’t give Curran any information unless Brady gave the go ahead. Alex is not only Brady’s business partner but the god father of one of his kiddos.

In the end, I dont think Kraft would let it happen. And if so, then a bigger question is why did we trade jimmy if brady is leaving 2 years later.

Trading Jimmy meant we were all in on brady.

I love Brady as much as anyone, but if he wants top QB salary or just wants a change of scenery then he'll probably be somewhere else next year and I won't blame either side for that. It's weird, feels like I should be really stressed at the possibility but I'm not. I remain optimistic that he'll retire a Patriot for now, but if he doesn't then that's just the cruel reality of football in the salary cap era and I'll continue to root for both Tom and the Pats.

I don't think it would be a wise career move for Brady to switch teams at this point in his career, and I do worry a bit that he could damage his legacy a little bit if he ended up in a situation where his performance dropped precipitously and people wrongly chalked that up to him having been a 'system QB' all along, rather than trying to learn an entirely new offense and personnel at age 43. We already know there are a lot of people who desperately want to be able to make that argument and will disingenuously take any 'evidence' Brady gives them to do so. But being a proud, pathologically competitive dude who believes in himself at all times is a huge part of what makes Brady who he is in the first place, so if that mentality ends up directing the next phase of his career then I def. get it.

And likewise, as much as I love Belichick, I'm sure he's given Brady plenty of reasons over the years to be sick of his ****. I hope they all decide to align on a bigger picture that works for all of them, but if they don't that's life and at worst we'll still have an unprecedented 19 year run to look back on.

Last edited:
I will root for Brady to torch the Patriots if he ends up on a different team. Sorry not sorry.
Glad to see you finally admit you’re not a Patriots fan. Can’t say I’m surprised.

I love Brady as much as anyone, but if he wants top QB salary or just wants a change of scenery then he'll probably be somewhere else next year and I won't blame either side for that. It's weird, feels like I should be really stressed at the possibility but I'm not. I remain optimistic that he'll retire a Patriot for now, but if he doesn't then that's just the cruel reality of football in the salary cap era and I'll continue to root for both Tom and the Pats.

I don't think it would be a wise career move for Brady to switch teams at this point in his career, and I do worry a bit that he could damage his legacy a little bit if he ended up in a situation where his performance dropped precipitously and people wrongly chalked that up to him having been a 'system QB' all along, rather than trying to learn an entirely new offense and personnel at age 43. We already know there are a lot of people who desperately want to be able to make that argument and will disingenuously take any 'evidence' Brady gives them to do so. But being a proud, pathologically competitive dude who believes in himself at all times is a huge part of what makes Brady who he is in the first place, so if that mentality ends up directing the next phase of his career then I def. get it.

And likewise, as much as I love Belichick, I'm sure he's given Brady plenty of reasons over the years to be sick of his ****. I hope they all decide to align on a bigger picture that works for all of them, but if they don't that's life and at worst we'll still have an unprecedented 19 year run to look back on.

It really sucks but it always seems to end that way with QB legends. Frankly i rather have brady. Still think this is a product of the personnel and not because he’s finished as a QB. Frankly i hope this is a moot point and they make a run here but it’s gonna take a gigantic effort from these players to turn it around offensively.

Imagine how long we’d have to deal with “Is Brady coming back?” if he retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots