PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
god damn it there goes someone i was hoping would prove everyone wrong and i would be vindicated for having faith in him...

i had so much hope after he looked good his rookie year... in that one pre season game. Here's hoping he goes on the practice squad or something

Assuming that Shawn failed the conditioning test by being out of condition and was not disabled by injury, read Bruschi's comments on the conditioning test. It's a matter of will and effort.

Exactly, and he said all the coaches want you to do is PASS, they don't necessarily care about the specifics, that comes in TC he said.

Tedy: Coach Belichick always told us a story before we'd go on that last break after the mandatory minicamp in June. It was about Bernie Kosar. The conditioning test is a series of sprints, and depending on what position you play, it could be 40, 50 or 60 yards. The quarterbacks had to do 50-yard sprints and he'd talk about how Bernie Kosar was one of the slowest quarterbacks in the history of the NFL, but every year he passed the test. He'd tell us if Bernie Kosar could pass that test, anyone in the room could pass it. You could train specifically to pass the conditioning test by running the test two to three times a week in the last few weeks before training camp.
Tedy Bruschi and Mike Reiss break down the New England Patriots heading into training camp - ESPN Boston

He also went on to say some guys did struggle with it regardless, guys like Antowain Smith and Eugene Wilson. I have a feeling that between Crab's frequent injuries and failure to pass conditioning muster put the nail in for him.

There's only so long you can hold onto a player (talent or not) if injuries continue to hamper his progress. Best of luck to Crable in his future endeavors. I was looking forward to seeing what he had to offer. Sadly it doesn't look like we ever will.

Crable never displayed the fire in the belly that Harrison has
See his comments regarding training this off season
No sense of urgency
IMHO

Not really, and that's exactly why I used Harrison as an example: early in his career, Harrison was known for giving up on plays, and the veterans complained that he had no fire. At some point, after floundering on the end of rosters, something clicked, and he became the player that he is today. It's extremely rare, and you'd be foolish to plan for it, but occasionally it does happen when you least expect it. So, when there's no cost to letting a guy stick around anyways, you might as well let them on the off chance that it somehow works out.

Past a certain point, though, it becomes clear that guys just don't want to put in the work, and that's probably what ended up being the case with Crable. Plus, given that he had been stashed on the IR for two years, that probably wasn't an option anymore: would have been cause for suspicion, and who knows if he would have been disgruntled enough to go to the league claiming that the Pats were abusing the IR at his expense, etc. etc.

Last edited:
It always amazes me the venom that Pats fans show people who are cut... Yes, it's disappointing that Crable didn't work out... But one thing is for sure, he's already made more money then most of the people on this board make in any given year.

Not even Reiss knows what happened. Whether Crable showed up hurt or got hurt during the conditioning testing or what....

Some of you have shown that you know what class is by saying you wish Crable well. That's as it should be. The rest of you??? Let us know when you lose your job so we can spit venom at you...

Holy God. This is so rich that it's got to be bad for you.

he will sign with the jets. revens. bills. or fish and make the team i don't know why i just feel it

I get my daily dose of venom just from reading DaBruinz's posts. I guess that does make him an expert on the subject.

FWIW, I have the exact same general indifference to Crable that I did before he was cut. Until he actually takes a meaningful snap for the Pats (which he never will), I just don't care about him one way or the other. He's a nonentity.

Last edited:
I get my daily dose of venom just from reading DaBruinz's posts. I guess that does make him an expert on the subject.

FWIW, I have the exact same general indifference to Crable that I did before he was cut. Until he actually takes a meaningful snap for the Pats (which he never will), I just don't care about him one way or the other. He's a nonentity.

Yeah, that's where I was going with that. His posts usually contain enough venom to kill a heard of elephants... or Rex Ryan. Whoever comes first.

Crable is such a mystery to me. I was mystified when he was drafted, I had no clue what his injuries really were all that time, and now the circumstances that got him cut are unknown. He's just a great big walking question mark. I don't bear him any ill will; that would require actual knowledge of the situation.

It must be strange to be him, a professional athlete who spends years without playing or even practicing. Despite the money he's made, I don't think I'd trade places and spend 2 1/2 years of my 20's in suspended animation.

I have to think this was due to failing the conditioning test. That would provoke this sort of reaction after being so patient for so long with him.

Crap. At least with Crable around you could talk yourself into believing that the Pats would have a renewed pass rush. Now, not so much. Come on Cunningham!!!!!!

Crap. At least with Crable around you could talk yourself into believing that the Pats would have a renewed pass rush. Now, not so much. Come on Cunningham!!!!!!

Was this meant in sarcasm?

Edit: Except the "Come on Cunningham" part.

Last edited:
To cut a third rounder before he plays out his rookie contract is not what you had in mind on draft day, obviously. This is the second such cut in as many years IIRC. It has to temper your expectations for Tyrone McKenzie or Brandon Tate at least a bit.

Better than hanging on to stiffs that can't play. It's actually a good thing that we'll cut anybody and move on. Once the draft is over, it's over.

It has nothing to do with two players who had serious injuries...nothing.

In May he said he was "fully healthy", but (in slight contradiction) "was still fine-tuning some things".

Fully healthy Crable hopes to make mark - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

So yeah -- he probably just failed the conditioning test. And as Bruschi noted, that's not tolerated well around the Pats, except in the cases of a few guys who are obviously the biggest/slowest at their positions and have already produced on the field.

It seems, right now, that we draft better without Pioli... good luck Crable, never saw much of you though.

I'm with you Darryl ... I wonder how many of these potential ability picks were Pioli binkies.

My man, The Crab. So much promise, so little result. Assuming that Shawn failed the conditioning test by being out of condition and was not disabled by injury, read Bruschi's comments on the conditioning test. It's a matter of will and effort. Bru did not have kind words for those slackers simply unwilling to prepare themselves for competition.

Or you fail it on purpose to hopefully get picked up by a weaker team where you can play.

DaBruinz is an expert on every subject ... he says so that it is what it is.

It seems, right now, that we draft better without Pioli... good luck Crable, never saw much of you though.

In the past 2 seasons, the Patriots have been picking higher in the draft and have had 24 picks, 13 of which were in the 4th round or below.

In the 3 seasons prior, the Patriots had a total of 26 picks, 18 of which were 4th round or below..

An average of 50% more picks, taken in higher rounds and at higher slots, should net better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back