PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cowboys are shopping LB Greg Ellis and the Pats are not interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id love to have Ellis around but I would still like to see Crable starting soon.

Id love to have Ellis around but I would still like to see Crable starting soon.

It would be awesome to see Crable good enough to be a starter, but I think hes gonna have to at least play in a situational role for an entire season first before he can earn a starting role.

I'd like to see Crable actually make the active roster on gameday. Let's get him to that point before we start talking about him starting.

I'd like to see Crable actually make the active roster on gameday. Let's get him to that point before we start talking about him starting.

:ugh: We can say that about every single player on the roster, IMO we have a hole at OLB and Crable is a candidate to fill it. Id like to see him starting by week 8 or so. Id also be fine with Woods but Crable has better pass rush potential. Even if Woods were to play on 1st and 2nd downs early on and Crable were to come in on third Id be happy.

Just saw on the ESPN scroll bar(during PTI, the only show worth watching on the f@#&ing network) that Ellis has been released by the Cowboys. Looks like no one was interested in that price tag. Maybe the pats will take a flyer on him now that he can be had for cheap.

Some good news for those (like me) in the Sign Greg Ellis crowd:

Joe Reedy, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals likely will not sign unrestricted free-agent LB Greg Ellis (Cowboys).

I'd be surprised if we didn't give this guy a pretty solid once over now that he's been released. He's not too far removed from a pretty explosive season, and considering his experience at two positions in the 3-4 and level of past success... he seems to fit the mold of some other guys Belichick has sought out in the past.

Certainly would not hurt to bring him in for a visit. The depth at LB still has to be somewhat of a concern... which is obviously evidenced by them taking a look at Tinoisamoa... granted very different skill-sets, but Ellis has been and should continue (for at least a few more seasons) a far more dominant player... and from reports a team leader.

Some good news for those (like me) in the Sign Greg Ellis crowd:

Joe Reedy, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals likely will not sign unrestricted free-agent LB Greg Ellis (Cowboys).

So maybe he doesn't have a criminal record. This is getting very interesting.

I guess Greg Ellis would be an upgrade over Redd on our squad.

Now that the $4mm price tag is gone, I imagine the level of interest has increased.

There will be lots of opportunities for Ellis. New England (not on the list of teams with ties to Ellis, based on coaching or former team-mates on the roster) should be a good opportunity, with a solid rotation but a need for a good pass-rusher. Ellis playing opposite Thomas would be a very strong tandem.

The statement about not uprooting his family is a concern, although there aren't many other NFL teams in the Dallas area. But Houston or Kansas City would offer an easier option for spending Mondays with his family.

Give him 1st class plane tickets from all home games. :) The 8:40PM flight from Boston gets to Dallas at 11:30. The 6:10 AM flight arrives at 9:30.

Now that the $4mm price tag is gone, I imagine the level of interest has increased.

There will be lots of opportunities for Ellis. New England (not on the list of teams with ties to Ellis, based on coaching or former team-mates on the roster) should be a good opportunity, with a solid rotation but a need for a good pass-rusher. Ellis playing opposite Thomas would be a very strong tandem.

The statement about not uprooting his family is a concern, although there aren't many other NFL teams in the Dallas area. But Houston or Kansas City would offer an easier option for spending Mondays with his family.

As a week passes and there are no headlines on Ellis, I think the odds of him sneaking into New England increase.

That means that no one snapped him up, so there appears to be little competition for a high salary.

That also means that no team that handles things a little more publicly has been involved.

So, I'm a little more optimistic about the Pats' interest in Ellis now than a week ago.

Also, since it sounds like Redd isn't making the cut, a rotation with Thomas & Crable on one side and Woods and Ellis on the other is very attractive.

As a week passes and there are no headlines on Ellis, I think the odds of him sneaking into New England increase.

That means that no one snapped him up, so there appears to be little competition for a high salary.

That also means that no team that handles things a little more publicly has been involved.

So, I'm a little more optimistic about the Pats' interest in Ellis now than a week ago.

Also, since it sounds like Redd isn't making the cut, a rotation with Thomas & Crable on one side and Woods and Ellis on the other is very attractive.

I missed Redd not making the cut. So soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes