PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Kaepernik Invalidate the CBA?

Huh? The FANS are keeping Kaepernik from a job in the NFL? Exactly HOW does THAT work?

It was because Baltimore fans didn't pray hard enough for their owner when he asked him to a few weeks ago as he was making this agonizing decision about whether to sign Kaepernick (while he was polishing the murderer's statue out front of the stadium).

The lawsuit is baseless and frivolous but succeeds in dividing us while keeping him relevant. This has been his intended effect since the day he sat for the anthem.

Spoken like a true rookie.

He's never been a locker room cancer and the rest of the players are dealing with this already.

It's because a certain part of the fan base does not like protests from African-Americans, and I say this especially because players are being booed for doing things like kneeling BEFORE the national anthem.

I don't think it's about the African-American issue; it's about the symbol they've chosen for their protest. Most Americans have a sentimental attachment to their country, and if the players were protesting the issue of police brutality without also incorporating an action most people consider an insult to the primary symbol of the country, their message would be better received. If someone insults my mother--though they may truly not mean it as an insult and are just trying to call attention to an unrelated issue--I'm going to stop listening and be understandably offended regardless of their intent.

The lawsuit is baseless and frivolous but succeeds in dividing us while keeping him relevant. This has been his intended effect since the day he sat for the anthem.

Whatever his intentions, he's done a great job of damaging the NFL brand. Viewership has tanked almost TWENTY PERCENT in the only two years since this issue became news. That is an insane nosedive over such a short period.

"No wonder alarm bells are sounding in NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s office.

The league's average TV audience through Week 5 of the 2017 season dropped 7 percent vs. the same period of the 2016 season, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. Worse for the league, the average game audiences are down 18 percent compared to the first five weeks of the 2015 season."

Whatever his intentions, he's done a great job of damaging the NFL brand. Viewership has tanked almost TWENTY PERCENT in the only two years since this issue became news. That is an insane nosedive over such a short period.

The league's average TV audience through Week 5 of the 2017 season dropped 7 percent vs. the same period of the 2016 season, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. Worse for the league, the average game audiences are down 18 percent compared to the first five weeks of the 2015 season."

Correlation does not imply causation.

There are now two teams in LA that don’t sell out games and two teams in NY/NJ that have sucked for long enough that they aren’t selling out either.

White people, the ones who would have a problem with Black people demonstrating, are not emotionally sophisticated enough to live without their Sunday Football.

Ah shoot I generalized a demographic. My therapist says I shouldn’t do that.

Causation, correlation, coincidence....

As much as the vocal minority would like everyone to believe the only reason for the drop in ratings is the anthem topic, let's not pretend that is sole cause.

For example, let's compare the NFL to a sport that is about as far on the opposite side of the political spectrum that you can find: stock car racing.

NASCAR 2017 TV Ratings

The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs from Charlotte earned a 1.8 rating and 2.9 million viewers on the NBC broadcast network last Sunday, down 42% in ratings and 44% in viewership from 2014....

Most of the other races did not drop that dramatically, but there were plenty of double-digit drops.

How could that be? There's certainly no anthem protests at nascar events.

Cord cutting, perhaps?

C3 Ratings Decline For Cable TV Networks

In the second quarter, MoffettNathanson Research says there was a 9.1% decline in total day 18-49 viewers in Nielsen C3 ratings -- the average commercial minute ratings plus three days of time-shifted viewing -- for cable networks.

Digging deeper, MoffettNathanson says that in June, PUT levels for younger viewers 18-24 (People Using TV) dropped 19%. In addition, PUT levels for 12-17 viewers sank 16%; and even younger 2-11, 11% lower.

Older TV viewers 55 and younger were better performers for cable networks -- slipping just 3%. Overall, cable networks PUT trends have been generally declining since July 2016.

Judge shopping, one can find a clown to approve anything.
But he will need evidence,
More than the collected ESPN morons opinions.

Problem is, this is the wrong fight.
Elliot is in the middle of it.
Accusation, no charges by the proper authorities,
but Goodell Inc decides it is enough to keep him out six games?
So is any accusation okay?

League now regulates the men's private lives. This is the good fight.

kaep is a phony hipster commie with a bad girlfriend.
If he wanted to play, Montreal was willing to sign him.
Ravens were ready till his lady love blew it up.

This is a money grab, guaranteed.
That will be further exposed over time.
Especially after the Lovely and charming GF NessA
gets her face in front of a camera.

Kaep had been rendered irrelevant by the wildfire spreading of protest.
Nobody cares about him now, or why he did it, they are just trying to put the fire out.

The only way he stays relevant is this Hail Mary.

To the next problem
the only man in the history of the game
who can throw those
just got his neck broken by a dirty wrestling takedown.
Not quite the full Dexter Manley back twist rotation onto the head,
and not A Romanowski Twist, grab the angle and roll trick.
A third, popular way to legally take men out.

Don't know whose name to put on this one, but ?
Hit man hit towards shoulder, lock him up,
drop weight down on other shoulder.

Can't fail.
That is why they practice it in SEA, TB, KC, CIN, etc.

Last edited:
Judge shopping, one can find a clown to approve anything.
But he will need evidence,
More than the collected ESPN morons opinions.

Problem is, this is the wrong fight.
Elliot is in the middle of it.
Accusation, no charges by the proper authorities,
but Goodell Inc decides it is enough to keep him out six games?
So is any accusation okay?

League now regulates the men's private lives. This is the good fight.

kaep is a phony hipster commie with a bad girlfriend.
If he wanted to play, Montreal was willing to sign him.
Ravens were ready till his lady love blew it up.

This is a money grab, guaranteed.
That will be further exposed over time.
Especuilly after the Lovely and charming GF NessA
gets her face in front of a camera.

Kaep had been rendered irrelevant by the wildfire spreading of protest.
Nobody cares about him now, or why he did it, they are just trying to put the fire out.

The only way he stays relevant is this Hail Mary.

To the next problem
the only man in the history of the game
who can throw those
just got his neck broken by a dirty wrestling takedown.
and not QA Romanowski Twist, grab the angle and roll trick.

Can't fail.
That is why they practice it in SEA, TB, KC, CIN, etc.

You should get professional help. I don’t mean help from Bill Romanowski fulfilling your weird plot. I mean a psychiatrist.

You should get professional help. I don’t mean help from Bill Romanowski fulfilling your weird plot. I mean a psychiatrist.

Quiet, Philistine. I read this as poetry, and it is lovely (the phrasing, obviously, not the subject).

and not A Romanowski Twist, grab the angle and roll trick.

I'm not even being sarcastic. Seven, I like your syntax.

He's never been a locker room cancer and the rest of the players are dealing with this already.

It's because a certain part of the fan base does not like protests from African-Americans, and I say this especially because players are being booed for doing things like kneeling BEFORE the national anthem.
My guess would be people are booing because they don't know the plan is going to be to stand up for the anthem.

To bring this back to the "invalidate the CBA" issue:

To show collusion, he only needs to show that two owners or GMs colluded. ("No Club, its employees or agents shall enter into any agreement, express or implied, with the NFL or any other Club, its employees or agents to restrict or limit individual Club decision-making. . . .")

OTOH, to invalidate the CBA would require a finding that at least fourteen teams were involved.* Moreover, and this is critical, it must be brought by the NFLPA itself, and the NFLPA must notify the NFL and arbitrator that they are trying to terminate the CBA through the case.

So, in other words, no, Kaepernick is not trying to bring down the CBA. And even if he wanted to, he can't do it this way.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf (Article 17)

*This is because only one player (Kaepernick) is involved. There are other possible scenarios, but this is the only one relevant ATM.

Bull. The overwhelming majority of players stand. They probably wouldn’t mind being rid of the hassle themselves and if they can get a concession for it, all the better.
But you can legislate workplace conduct.
I guess we will see, but I doubt they are worried about the CBA being invalidated. As noted above, the whole process will take so long to play out that the CBA will be close to expiration anyway.

You cannot legislate workplace conduct if you have a verified bargaining agreement... This whole standing for the anthem has turned into a political football, unfortunately...

If the rank and file were to agree on making rule about standing or not, which they will not, then the NFL Owners and NFL would have to make concessions.. even if they did agree, there will be those who will defy it anyways..

Not sure how you create and enforce rules regarding a persons political beliefs...

IMO the best way to handle this would be to have the players stay in the tunnel or locker room until after the Anthem, as they did in the past.. then the players can do what they want out of sight of TV cameras...

It’s weak to try and make the fan reaction one based on race.

As for booing before the anthem, I think that stems from people having no way of knowing if the player/team will stand up once the anthem begins.

You cannot legislate workplace conduct if you have a verified bargaining agreement...
Thats the whole point of a CBA and that is why I have consistently stated that I believe this issue will be forbidden in the next CBA.

If the rank and file were to agree on making rule about standing or not, which they will not, then the NFL Owners and NFL would have to make concessions.. even if they did agree, there will be those who will defy it anyways..
Once it is in the CBA and agreed to by the union, that will allow a schedule of fines and penalties for people who defy it.
Not sure how you create and enforce rules regarding a persons political beliefs...
Darryl, you are running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Nobody is trying to tell a person what to believe but it’s damn easy to add a clause to the CBA mandating that players stand during the anthem. Here’s how:

CBA Article XYZ Section 1: All players will stand respectfully for the national anthem. Failure to do so will result in fines starting at $100,000 per incident and game suspensions after the 3rd incident.

Think anyone will be kneeling then?

is this accounting for people who have left the traditional TV delivery system and watch the games using other means?

because it appears numbers for traditional TV ratings are down across the board as Nielsen doesn't really take into account things like streaming, etc

I don't think it's about the African-American issue; it's about the symbol they've chosen for their protest. Most Americans have a sentimental attachment to their country, and if the players were protesting the issue of police brutality without also incorporating an action most people consider an insult to the primary symbol of the country, their message would be better received. If someone insults my mother--though they may truly not mean it as an insult and are just trying to call attention to an unrelated issue--I'm going to stop listening and be understandably offended regardless of their intent.

This is the entire point and the reason why the protests worked. No one would care if they weren't made to feel a certain way by the protests. There would be no attention or conversation.

The flag is a symbol of the country in general and these black players feel like the country in general doesn't respect them. Not standing = treating the symbol with the same respect as you feel the symbol treats you with for some.

I also find it interesting that only now that people are kneeling have I seen the conservative types acknowledge the possibility of police brutality being a problem: "Maybe there is police brutality, but they're doing it the wrong way..." when previously, all I ever saw from the same people was "yeah but black on black violence!!!!"

There will always be excuses made as to why a form of protest isn't right. It's just about always nothing more than virtue signaling that you think they should shut up.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back