PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a UBI guy, but in this situation it makes sense. People cant work because the economy is shut down for a lot of people, but they still have to pay bills. So it works for a short time fix.

I'd rather that UBI money be used in a more focused manner, for mentoring programs, education, food. UBI as Yang proposed it is more like shooting a bullseye with buckshot

I don’t think a UBI is needed right now but it’s possible it will be needed in the future. I had my own issues with his plan, like the VAT.

point being though that 1000 dollar check every month isn’t going to make people quit there jobs or in this case not go back to work.

I don’t think a UBI is needed right now but it’s possible it will be needed in the future. I had my own issues with his plan, like the VAT.

point being though that 1000 dollar check every month isn’t going to make people quit there jobs or in this case not go back to work.

It's not about some end-all-be-all solution to solve all of our problems. Just because something doesn't cover all of our bases, does that mean it's not worth doing?

$1K a month goes a long way towards easing anxiety over the economy and helping people get by, pay bills, so on. Will some people still need to work? Of course. Will UBI ease the burden of this crisis in a meaningful way? Without a doubt.

Last edited:
Im hedging my equities with T notes (40/60) and plan to dollar cost average the SP500 to the bottom. Very ready for the hammer to drop.

Not that I want that to happen, but I fully expect it.

look at ETF's........they've all tanked and their dividends are through the roof.....

Stone Harbor Emerging Markets Income Fund is currently yielding 32%

Virtus Global Multi-Sector is currently yielding 18%

Both pay out monthly

you don't have to get in with much to cover conservative downside.....

and then stick with Apple and Amazon

I have a perfect solution to the predicament brought up by Lindsey Graham: instead of paying nurses $16 an hour, pay them $32, then they won't freeload for the $24.

I have a perfect solution to the predicament brought up by Lindsey Graham: instead of paying nurses $16 an hour, pay them $32, then they won't freeload for the $24.

I’d prefer harvesting and selling Graham’s organs, along with every congressman on both sides of the aisle, to pay for the nurses.

It's not about some end-all-be-all solution to solve all of our problems. Just because something cover all of our bases, does that mean it's not worth doing?

$1K a month goes a long way towards easing anxiety over the economy and helping people get by, pay bills, so on. Will some people still need to work? Of course. Will UBI ease the burden of this crisis in a meaningful way? Without a doubt.

I meant UBI in general terms... general terms being no corona virus.

I’m not really thinking of the checks we’re getting from the government from coronavirus as a UBI, so when I say we probably don’t need a UBI right now, I’m not speaking of the 1200 dollars we are getting (which I almost certainly need)

My ribbing aside, they should absolutely, positively NOT re-open the country by Easter. That is a hilariously terrible idea. This was supposedly found on surfaces in a cruise ship 17 DAYS later. We need to be quarantined for at least another month and a half, otherwise it will have been all for nothing.

Oh, and is there anyone who DOESN'T think that the Chinese created this bad boy in a lab, with the express intention of weaponizing it?
I feel like this is Raccoon City. I'm calling this bad boy the T-virus.

The Cleveland Clinic claimed it came up with a 1 hour test in 7 days.

I don’t believe anything coming out that isn’t precisely tested under a control group. Even the malaria drug isn’t proving to the cure all the Prez hinted it would be.

Again, under promise, over deliver. That message seems to be lost on the Prez and many others.

look at ETF's........they've all tanked and their dividends are through the roof.....

Stone Harbor Emerging Markets Income Fund is currently yielding 32%

Virtus Global Multi-Sector is currently yielding 18%

Both pay out monthly

you don't have to get in with much to cover conservative downside.....

and then stick with Apple and Amazon
A lot of those "distributions" stocks (Stone Harbor, at least, isn't a "dividend" stock) have conditions attached to them. Like the share price needing to be above a certain level before distributions will be paid. So with the SP drop, they might not pay anything (haven't researched this stock in particular though so don't quote me).

A lot of those "distributions" stocks (Stone Harbor, at least, isn't a "dividend" stock) have conditions attached to them. Like the share price needing to be above a certain level before distributions will be paid. So with the SP drop, they might not pay anything (haven't researched this stock in particular though so don't quote me).
I don’t believe these 2 have that condition....of course, they could cut the dividend anyway

I don’t believe anything coming out that isn’t precisely tested under a control group. Even the malaria drug isn’t proving to the cure all the Prez hinted it would be.

I'm sorry, I don't think I read this right. You're seriously saying that, if you can't trust Donald Trump's statements about virology, there's no one else you can trust on the coronavirus? Not even the Cleveland Clinic?

I think I'm going to have to self-quarantine from this thread for a bit.

Yes, I was among those who originally thought that the presence of the biolab in Wuhan was too significant to be a coincidence, but, in addition to the medical arguments you make, the fact that Xi focused on his economic model as he consolidated his control over the Chinese Communist Party over the last two years pretty much puts that theory to rest.

China has not only put its own economy into deep recession as a result of the virus, but the longer term impact will be to alter global trade patterns that have been evolving since the fall of the Soviet Union and lead to the "re-domestication" by the west of much of the supply chain that had migrated to China, India and elsewhere in Asia and the Subcontinent.

Nothing is impossible, but creating a virus this devastating without bulletproof safeguards to prevent its unintended release is just short of unfathomable.

Never underestimate the ineptitude of a communist nation. Christ, the Soviets lied about Chernobyl and things could have been much different had they come clean. They were inept and moronic and it got thousands killed. Problem is most people can’t fathom how a communist government really works. They think China is just like us. They are not. I am leaning towards the natural occurrence until proven otherwise but damn I can’t shake the idea about the lab.

I'm sorry, I don't think I read this right. You're seriously saying that, if you can't trust Donald Trump's statements about virology, there's no one else you can trust on the coronavirus? Not even the Cleveland Clinic?

I think I'm going to have to self-quarantine from this thread for a bit.

Heart care and urology isn’t infectious diseases. A Doc was on F&M from Brigham who is an infectious disease guy. Said the malaria drug IS NOT working as good as people are being led to believe.

I honestly think if Trump told people penicillin cured infection, some people with infections would rather die than take it.

Okay I love Pluto and it's great that some of you guys have stock tips for the end times and ****, but how disappointing that we're just accepting. I guess the choices are pretty limited. This week we'll easily make the fivefold increase to 1,500.

In local Alexandria news, anybody who was at Murphy's, the DC area's legendary Patriots bar, on 3/10 6pm -2am (3/11).... 3/14, 11a - 6p.... and 3/15, 10a - 6p... Alexandria.gov says self-quarantine immediately.

Thank God it's the off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back