PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this, but the poster's original argument was that the US endorsed slavery as an economic means. This is basically the government turning a blind eye towards slavery.

I mean, the antebellum US was basically a constant dance and compromise between an industrializing north and the slave economy south. That dance ended explosively with the rise of the Republican Party and the election of Lincoln. It wasn't an "endorsement" but the US certainly allowed slavery to continue in southern states - and even compromised on its westward expansion - for economic reasons. The Industrial Revolution in England, and then in the rest of Europe and the northern United States, was driven at first by textile manufacturing, which was in turn driven by a voracious demand for cotton from southern US slave plantations and coolie labor in British India.

What's crazy to me is China has the gall to call these cases imported.

As if they didnt "export" the virus in the first place.
Well you had China's ambassador to the U.S., Cui Tiankai officially throwing cold water his govt drumming up that theory. Could be a genuine acknowledgement. Could be this guy is Cris Carter's fall guy. Who knows.

At any rate, **** the Chinese Government

Read his 2nd inaugural, once of his greatest speeches. Punishing the south wouldn't have healed anything. It's a cultural divide that has existed for centuries in this country.
It was his greatest speech, greater than the Gettysburg address (which was also great, but its brevity is part of its acclaim).

I mean, the antebellum US was basically a constant dance and compromise between an industrializing north and the slave economy south. That dance ended explosively with the rise of the Republican Party and the election of Lincoln. It wasn't an "endorsement" but the US certainly allowed slavery to continue in southern states - and even compromised on its westward expansion - for economic reasons. The Industrial Revolution in England, and then in the rest of Europe and the northern United States, was driven at first by textile manufacturing, which was in turn driven by a voracious demand for cotton from southern US slave plantations and coolie labor in British India.

Yes, of course. That is not the same as the US government saying "Slavery is permitted in this country as a means to build the nation's economy." The US government allowed states to have slavery as long as they didn't cause trouble. This is what the Missouri Compromise was all about.

Yes, of course. That is not the same as the US government saying "Slavery is permitted in this country as a means to build the nation's economy." The US government allowed states to have slavery as long as they didn't cause trouble. This is what the Missouri Compromise was all about.

If by that "trouble" you mean the Civil War where mass casualties were sure to follow then yes. The government allowed slavery.

I'm an anarcho-communist who thinks electoral politics is generally crap, but also a practicing (left) Catholic with leanings towards traditional liturgical preferences. What am I? A conservative or a liberal? Democrat or Republican?

What you are Comrade is a thoroughly dangerous Pinko. A fact agreed upon by both sides of the aisle.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Trump will say whatever he needs to look good. He has convictions certainly but they are by no means rooted in a specific ideology.
An ideology requires logic and consistency, 2 qualities he was born without. His "convictions" are whatever low-level drivel will get him elected.

If by that "trouble" you mean the Civil War where mass casualties were sure to follow then yes. The government allowed slavery.

Well, I didn't say it was a good idea...

It was his greatest speech, greater than the Gettysburg address (which was also great, but its brevity is part of its acclaim).
And the south was so grateful for not being punished they doubled down on terror during reconstruction. Set us back another 100 plus years on race

The US government allowed states to have slavery as long as they didn't cause trouble. This is what the Missouri Compromise was all about.

giphy.gif

And the south was so grateful for not being punished they doubled down on terror during reconstruction. Set us back another 100 plus years on race
The North’s attitudes on race were not that different, maybe on slavery, but not on race.

Where is the Corona virus thread? I seemed to have stumbled into the pointless political rants and historical political arguments thread.

I just wanna say that if Prince Charles can get this then were all absolutely ****ed.

I've left my house 3 times in 10 days and while I can closely mimic a hermit on my best days ok starting to feel quite restless.

I can't deal with this for 18 months that I know.

I go out and walk every day

my remote stuff is working well so I am actually more productive working at home modeling various modulation waveforms on the hardware I have set up in my lab at work. 5G on the way.

maybe I'll shower

You find it surprising that immigrants congregate in the largest metropolitan cities? Hmmm

Are Houston, Dallas-Ft Worth and LA at the top of coronavirus hot spots?

What's your point?

There is a huge difference between "immigrants" and illegal aliens! That is what the map shows.

Every Immigrant has a physical and is screened by a doctor BEFORE they enter the US (or in the process of adjusting to legal status if they are already in the US).

Illegal Aliens, are mostly unvaccinated, have never seen a doctor in their lives (until they go to the ER here on your tax dollar), live together in large numbers, and tend to live in squaller. If you can't see how that leads to a greater spread of the virus then, I can't help you. Make all your liberal cries you want, but by encouraging illegal population to their cities, these liberal politicians have put their population at greater risk. Sure the rich guy on the upper West side can pay his servants sub standard wages, but when one of them gives him the virus because he has to live with 43 other people in a two bedroom apartment, I have ZERO sympathy for them!

I see everyone is crying about slavery, there is no need for it anymore, because of illegal aliens. Do you know what the prevailing hourly wage is for an illegal Chinese worker in the US?

Its about $.75 an hour! That is because they all owe the gangs back in China a smuggling debt, that if they don't pay will be taken out on their family back in China. So they newer illegals undercut the wages of the other illegals.

Ditto for the Mexicans, every single illegal Mexican has paid (or still owes) a Mexican drug cartel a smuggling debt. Granted the Mexicans make more than $.75 a hour, but they depress the wages of everyone else. I see people now, making the same hourly wage working at restaurant jobs, that I made in the 80s!

All of this misery is inflicted by your high liberal ideas! and now, aside from the nightly drunk driving illegal Mexican killing Americans, they are killing them with this virus too!

I don't think that is true now. Both parties and ideologies need a reboot.

That reflects on why Trump was elected. He had supporters on both sides and in the middle.

There is a huge difference between "immigrants" and illegal aliens! That is what the map shows.

Every Immigrant has a physical and is screened by a doctor BEFORE they enter the US (or in the process of adjusting to legal status if they are already in the US).

Illegal Aliens, are mostly unvaccinated, have never seen a doctor in their lives (until they go to the ER here on your tax dollar), live together in large numbers, and tend to live in squaller. If you can't see how that leads to a greater spread of the virus then, I can't help you. Make all your liberal cries you want, but by encouraging illegal population to their cities, these liberal politicians have put their population at greater risk. Sure the rich guy on the upper West side can pay his servants sub standard wages, but when one of them gives him the virus because he has to live with 43 other people in a two bedroom apartment, I have ZERO sympathy for them!

I see everyone is crying about slavery, there is no need for it anymore, because of illegal aliens. Do you know what the prevailing hourly wage is for an illegal Chinese worker in the US?

Its about $.75 an hour! That is because they all owe the gangs back in China a smuggling debt, that if they don't pay will be taken out on their family back in China. So they newer illegals undercut the wages of the other illegals.

Ditto for the Mexicans, every single illegal Mexican has paid (or still owes) a Mexican drug cartel a smuggling debt. Granted the Mexicans make more than $.75 a hour, but they depress the wages of everyone else. I see people now, making the same hourly wage working at restaurant jobs, that I made in the 80s!

All of this misery is inflicted by your high liberal ideas! and know, aside from the nightly drunk driving illegal Mexican killing Americans, they are killing them with this virus too!

regarding this topic, you don't know as much as you think you do........as an immigrant, I'd probably rather live next to many of them than you

So with all of the reports of a multi-trillion stimulus package in the works, shouldn’t we see a reemergence of the Tea Party to protest this explosion in federal spending? I mean that is what the Tea Party was about...right?

People differentiate between spending on an emergency that isn't a result of bad policy by banks, and an act of nature. The spending is also for small business and individuals and not exclusively for the corporations that caused the problem.

People don't adhere to your simplistic formulations.

Made a huge groceries trip this morning. 10 days of meals. No toilet paper, no lysol, and the only flour was cake flour, but everything else on the list was there. Not too crazy busy. You can't really pass somebody in the grocery aisle and keep your 6feet of space, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST