PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people listening to this? JFC, this guy is completely out of touch. It's all about him in the middle of a crisis.
Yeah, he is a disaster

Well the "wind change" thing was true. Either that or I've always been ugly. Nah... It was an unfortunate wind change.

You can't be all that bad Bro. Look at how attached Thumby is to you and we all trust his judgement. On second thought...that little bastid can't see so WTF am I talking about??

God I need a drink, this whole rationing the alcohol through the apocalypse thing needs rethinking. Seriously, if I'm dead in a week all I'm doing is leaving it around so you young survivor jerks can have one on me. F that, I'm cracking a fresh bottle

I didn’t get my gun because they closed all the stores. Maybe I can buy one online...I don’t know. Anyway, I can make fun of gun owners until further notice.

I didn’t get my gun because they closed all the stores. Maybe I can buy one online...I don’t know. Anyway, I can make fun of gun owners until further notice.
I honestly have no problem with gun owners. To each his own. Just messing around man, bored stiff. ;)

I’m basing it on facts. Those are two sentences that are facts.

Dunno what this refers to Bob. I believe most of this was to set up a hypothetical use of scarce resources scenario.

I’m not deciding anything, I’m telling you this is not the worst crisis in US history because the Spanish Flu was far worse killing hundreds of thousands of people who were perfectly healthy and would have lived for years. And it did so during a world war.

High 600,000s range in U.S., tens of millions worldwide. Here, you agree with the criteria that I mentioned as implied by your previous post. To use less emotional language, these younger victims had more years of life ahead of them, and on average a better quality of life.

I don't know whose concern it is that "this is not the worst crisis in US history." It's not mine, as you're talking about something I never said.

I will, however, caution you that, unlike the so-called Spanish Flu and the world wars, this crisis is ongoing -- from all indications, only beginning.

It has the potential to be very significant. If you ran projections based on known data using a monte carlo random walk simulation, modeling all the available data, I don't know where the fat part of the histogram would be (how many scenarios end with how many deaths.) I don't know where in the histogram, say, 1 million deaths would fall. I don't know where 5 million deaths would fall. I don't think you do.

I am of course disregarding any access that you have to the magic 8 ball.

By the way, our impacts from each of the world wars pales in comparisons with some nations. The impact of the so-called Spanish Flu in the US is surpassable by this virus. I am not rooting for it.

So all that said, whether we're at the outset of "the worst crisis in U.S. history"... well, that's nothing that I said, but the wheel's still in spin.

You follow the guidance of the Mayo Clinic and tell the 20 year old to go home and quarantine themselves and:

Did I neglect to say that the 20 YO and the 60 YO are both in need of a ventilator? If I did not stipulate that, I think it is certainly within my rights to assume that you could infer it from the setup, you have 1 ventilator and a 20 YO and a 60 YO. To clarify, I did not mean that the 20 YO had the sniffles and the 60 YO's lungs were turning to concrete.

The link above says what the treatments include. Perhaps for your benefit, they should use the legalistic "but are not limited to." They curiously leave out the treatment for severe cases: Intubation and ventilation. The scenario was not meant to address how to decide the allocation of one scarce resource to 2 people, neither of whom had a need for the scarce resource in question.

Your emotional state has nothing to do with whether this is the biggest crisis in American history.

Okayyyyy, and I never asserted that it was. As you'll read above, however, call me when this crisis is over for your victory lap over whoever did say that.

Obviously a disease that kills heathy people is worse than one that only kills people with an average age of 81.

This response at least tells me that you indeed are using the metric of years of healthy life, i.e., years of life x quality of life. Just like Zeke Emmanuel, except that he included a lottery aspect so that hope was not foreclosed on the older and less healthy. But you're less sentimental, that's defensible.

I saw one stat that the average age at death in Italy is 81 - so I assume that's where you get yours, above. I'm a little skeptical of their data right now, having seen that 99% of Italians really had something else this morning [sic].

It's actually hard to find the "average age at death" stat. Most stat breakdowns are what percentage of each group die. However, I find an average age of 81 difficult to square with some of the info here regarding percentage of each cohort dying.

New analysis of coronavirus risk: Young adults are not invincible - STAT

...older Americans [edit - 65+ here] represented 31% of the cases, they accounted for 45% of hospitalizations, 53% of ICU admissions, and 80% of deaths, the CDC reported.

All quibbles aside, we're both aware now that you are using years of life x quality of life metric like Zeke Emmanuel suggested a little more than a decade ago (in combination with a hope-preserving lottery) when he wrote about the ethics of such decisions involving scarce medical resources.

It’s also far more devastating to a country to lose people who are working and running the economy with things like food, and medical care. That’s true even if you don’t like it.

Oh, certainly. But the difficulty, you see, is that the state's purpose is to protect and serve the needs of its citizens, not vice versa.

That said, it is absolutely defensible to accord scarce resources to the younger, if all else is equal, when both an older and a younger person need said resources. My entire post was agreeing with that point. However, this "Pffft, it only kills old people" riff continues to annoy me. Not make me anxious, annoy me.

The key is, your attitude could lead to minimization of the deaths of older people. Your further utilitarian rationalization (society's use for the candidates, rather than just years and quality of life) could be applied to those on state assistance, the mentally infirm, people who you disagree with, members of unpopular religions, and so on.

It is very rare that we find ourselves faced with these scarce-resource decisions in a wholesale fashion. I agree that your "death panel" would choose correctly in giving the vent to the younger candidate (and disagree with your attempt to assert that the Mayo Clinic would send everybody home no matter the scenario and refuse any use of a ventilator to any candidate).

So I guess, don’t read your own posts.

Given your bizarre need to put assertions in my mouth that I never said -- that this would be the worst event in U.S. History or something? -- I think that's more your problem than mine.

Thanks for playing.

Wait so being a gun nut is a prerequisite for being a man? o_O:D

I like guns. I'd like to have a small handgun and an AR15.

What I can't understand is gun culture. This isn't Dungeons&Dragons. You don't get a manhood stat buff based on an item in your inventory.

Are people listening to this? JFC, this guy is completely out of touch. It's all about him in the middle of a crisis.

Not a surprise. This is who he is. He won’t grow into the role and there’s no point in pretending he might. It’s pathological. I mean the guy is literally making jokes about Romney going into self quarantine and yet you’ll still have people saying he’s just great and wow yes please sign me up for four more years of this ****show.

That’s only because we have more than 3 times the population today. By that logic every flu season is the worst the world has ever seen because of the overall population. The Spanish flu was far more devastating. It was particularly deadly to people young and healthy. By comparisons the average age of deaths in Italy is 81. 99% of deaths are over the age of 60.
This is nowhere near the biggest crisis in US history.

The Spanish Flu didn't crash the stock market, and it didn't destroy the economy.

This one has done both, and it's only getting started. We're just in the first or barely into the second inning.

A number of Senate aides and senators are angry Sen. Rand Paul did not go into isolation after he took the coronavirus test or after he learned about the positive cases at the event he was at, CNN reports.

Paul got the test six or seven days ago. He felt fine, had no symptoms, and did not think he had coronavirus. He went about his daily life, including lunching with colleagues last week and going to the Senate gym this morning.

What kind of doctor is that guy?

Same as always: depends if it’s a violent or non-violent conviction.

Just an odd step. How does releasing more people into the public help stunt the spread of this? And if the point is to keep it out of prison why is the health of criminals anywhere near the top of the list of priorities?

Look, if you've committed crimes that led to actual prison then I dont expect for you to be a model citizen and stay home and help your peers stop from spreading this thing.

On top of that, where do these criminals go anyway? How many of them will not have family that can take them in?

As a citizen of maine I find this to be nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3