PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C. Nothing wrong with enlightened centrism at all. I can’t fathom how anyone can wrap up their “beliefs” nice and nearly in a box with a party label on it and then zealously fight for the party.

Part of the problem with it is that a lot of the time it is done in a self-aggrandizing, 'look at how I am so above it' type thing.

And, at the end of the day, there are some significant differences between the two sides that go beyond identity politics. I mean it's either a woman's right to choose or people are murdering babies. We should be putting people to death or we should abolish the death penalty. We should be seeking peace or we should be flexing our military might. We should be building laws based on the Bible or we never were a Christian nation and should abandon pretext of being one, etc.

I think sometimes people do get too wound up in identity politics but my god at the same time I think anyone who says 'both sides are the same' is usually talking out their ass. The primary thing that both sides share are some percentage of ahole politicians who are cynically playing on D or R sentiments to get power and money for themselves.

The Trump administration is equally guilty of what you're accusing the 'left' of.

I speculate that the initial delay in response was likely the result of not wanting to disturb markets during an election cycle.
Do think there’s merit to that point, but Trump wasn’t the one with his back against the wall in terms of odds for winnings an election. The Russia collusion angle was a flop, the Ukraine angle was a flop, and then finally something else comes along that can be clung to with actual substance to it.

Either way, none of us are winners right now, and I think most reasonable people on both sides know that.

Part of the problem with it is that a lot of the time it is done in a self-aggrandizing, 'look at how I am so above it' type thing.

And, at the end of the day, there are some significant differences between the two sides that go beyond identity politics. I mean it's either a woman's right to choose or people are murdering babies. We should be putting people to death or we should abolish the death penalty. We should be seeking peace or we should be flexing our military might. We should be building laws based on the Bible or we never were a Christian nation and should abandon pretext of being one, etc.

I think sometimes people do get too wound up in identity politics but my god at the same time I think anyone who says 'both sides are the same' is usually talking out their ass. The primary thing that both sides share are some percentage of ahole politicians who are cynically playing on D or R sentiments to get power and money for themselves.

Sure...the voters have different beliefs. I don’t think the actual politicians have much for convictions though. If their party switched positions on abortion or their reelection campaign depended on it, I bet 90%+ would follow suit. If switching parties was the only way they could win, they’d do it. Red vs. Blue - it’s just a theater for them. They only care about being in power and feeling important.

let’s just be honest. They do. All they care about is winning elections and staying in power and making money

of course this is just a generalization. There are probably a few with good intentions but overall I feel like it’s a small minority.

I look at a guy like Chris Murphy And I’ll I can think is “what the **** did you ever do that makes you a good U.S. senator. Didley ****ing poo Jim mora style

Sure...the voters have different beliefs. I don’t think the actual politicians have much for convictions though. If their party switched positions on abortion or their reelection campaign depended on it, I bet 90%+ would follow suit. If switching parties was the only way they could win, they’d do it. Red vs. Blue - it’s just a theater for them. They only care about being in power and feeling important.
There you go. Integrity is not a prerequisite for politics, in fact, it is a hindrance.

The President and his minions all downplayed the impact of this virus early on, only recently have they taken it seriously. Instead of garnering resources (test kits, respirators and ventilators) they made a lot of noise about other things.

Even the current interjection of "Chinese Virus" is a political dog whistle for the left so they can yell racism.. without regard no matter where it started it would go global as we are truly more "international" than we have ever been. As long as the discussion of racism ensues we are distracted by the issues at hand.

Discussions of the relevancy of the labelling of the "Spanish Flu" or "Swine Flu" are more distractions from the issue at hand.

To minimize the possible impact of this is a tremendous disservice to all Americans, particularly elders and vulnerable populations..

When we read how ill prepared we were for this considering we knew about the possible effects in February it is concerning. Recently there have been serious mistakes regarding decisions made without considerations for the consequences.. the 7 hour waiting in line in O'Hare to gain reentry into the US, lack of test kits and testing. Then there is the purposeful elimination of the WH Pandemic Response experts. So now we are in a reactive mode... time will tell and judge the effectiveness of this strategy.

What really peeves me is every time Pence or another of the WH "allies" speaks they start by telling the world what a great & wonderful job Trump has done and such a great leader he is, while many know differently imo it is just more political jargon to solidify his base.

Know what’s pitiful? You turning this into political **** when this global crisis clearly isn’t political. If you’re not an idiot, you could clearly see both parties coming together trying to figure **** out. I mean, if you want to stay on your side and be an *******, that’s on you.
You’re upset I’m calling a spade a spade. There are Ds and Rs on that list. This has **** to do with party, these are dirty politicians across the board. Don’t be a hack and devolve this into something it’s not.

OT but we don't know long I'll be alive ( I'm a dentist and according to the NY Times and common sense at the highest risk of getting exposed to the virus though we shut down for everything except emergencies -pain/swelling/infection). No symptoms yet but praying G-d forgets or forgives a few of my transgressions in my youth......the frat rats were worth it though...
Your picture of Damon reminded me of the night he won the Academy Award for Good Will Hunting. He thanked a guy by the name of Gerry Speca, his drama coach/teacher at Cambridge Ringe and Latin ( he also taught the Aflecks)....Speca taught at my high school before being fired ( too counter cultural for the mid 70s) and we joked we could have been movie stars instead...

Parcels owns one of the horses that ran in the big race that day. Three Technique is the horses name and he is trying to get into the Derby and still needs a few more points.
No Derby this year .............wonder if they will change the age requirement next year to make up for it...

It’s really not. But hey, keep thinking that the whole US will shutdown.
It is happening. Pennsylvania essentially shut down last night at 8 PM. Only essential businesses can stay open and that is limited in number. The Governor, a Democrat was also a small business owner ( manufacturing 50 employees) so he understand the economic impact but felt it was the only way to get ahead of this...
My fear is that in 2-3 weeks when food is scarce and money is tight, we will have riots or violence or hunger games type actions....

Last edited:
If you’re not faint of heart, watch videos of the Wuhan Market. Animals, many that most civilized, non-savage idiot civilizations would keep as pets, butchered. Hacked to death, blood and limbs all over the place, rotting in cages. It’s no wonder this virus came out of there.

That’s why it’s been refreshing to have a president in the WH that switches sides depending on what is best. He has an “R” after his name, but he’s enacted some very leftist legislation. He’s also an assh0le. So many people don’t like them because they project that area of themselves and their own personalities (most people don’t want to or outright can’t admit that they’re assh0les, too) onto him and hate him even more for it. I’ve never seen so called “educated liberals” hate a president more when he’s enacted criminal justice reforms and has now signed off I’m giving taxpayer money “away” to American citizens who made under $75K to help them pay their bills and put food on the table. Usually, you’d think that the left would love that. But it’s Trump who is in office sooooo...

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back