PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cooks yards per reception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, right now Cooks is making nothing. So big win there. Next year he is on the books for a 8.5 mil cap hit. Jones's cap hit is 14 mil and Brown's is almost 14 mil and it will be 19 mil in a couple of years.

So you can continue to make excuses why Cooks isnt elite like these guys but he also isnt being paid anywhere near these guys.

All things equal it looks like Cooks will be worth the 8.5 next year given he will have a full year and camp in the system. That is pretty good for a 1000 yard plus guy with elite speed, who gets the system and is a great teammate

Whats the problem?

None for this and next year. I am speaking of years after those

None for this and next year. I am speaking of years after those
Lets see how he does. This year is a bargain. If he comes back for the 8.5 then we have some data, they could extend him and spread out the cap hit also.

Last edited:
Cooks wasn't a mystery, he wasn't being held back by a trash QB or bad offensive coaching or something on the Saints. The Patriots knew what to expect, and it looks like they're getting EXACTLY that... almost to the last decimal place, depending on how the last 2 games go.

The mindset that he's a disappointment because he's not AB or Julio Jones is just super duper stupid. There was no evidence he'd be that tier of player, nobody ever sold him as being that tier of player. Thinking he'd be the second coming of Randy Moss and then getting mad when that didn't happen is just silly on a really profound level.
Thinking a guy who is about to put up his third straight 1100+ yard season at the age of 24 is a disappointment is profoundly stupid.

I think my point is that the way he has been used so far he is an amazing complimentary piece but is not able to be the chess piece.

In games where things are going somewhat according to plan he is the ideal outlet to keep defenses honest or punish them for cheating towards the intermediate game. However in games where we struggle to get things going his usage is too one dimensional to carry a team out of a hole the same way that true elite WRs can do.

The thing is that with his speed and hands he can potentially be deadly if we could just get him the ball in space with well designed blocking (think screens, or well designed slants or even drag routes). But for one or the other reason (pick being called, blocking failing, him getting tripped..) those attempts almost everytime fell flat so far.

I dont think anyone would call the trade for him a failure at all. I certainly would not but yet I cant shake the feeling that there is so much more potential in there.

Thats all fine and an argument can be made he has missed some plays here and there.

But all of that does not change the fact he will be a 1000 yd receiver in his first year in the system.

Assuming he doesn't turn in to Jo Jo LaFell he'll be more productive next year.

I love playing the stats game... Third down conversions, as there has been so much discussion on this recently:-

Amendola has 16 catches on 27 targets, for 16 first downs

Cooks has 6 catches on 23 targets, for 6 first downs

However, being new to this (stats are just stats, understanding the game is something else!) - What is a realistic expectation for Cook’s yards per season? I ask because if he is purely a deep threat, what is his expected output per game? Is it only for one or two long yardage catches? And while I’m here, why are 1100 yd seasons by a deep threat more valued then 1100 yd seasons by a slot/possession receiver?

And while I’m here, why are 1100 yd seasons by a deep threat more valued then 1100 yd seasons by a slot/possession receiver?

A deep threat forces the opposing defense to play differently. Teams can't sell out to swamp the short routes if it lets Cooks get wide open downfield. Teams can't stack the box against the run either.

Everything complements everything else, ideally. If you can threaten the whole field on every snap, the defense can't key on any one thing and there are more favorable match-ups everywhere.

I know there are people on the board who think he is overrated, has not performed to expectations and Josh is not using him right.

Hes had some inconsistent moments here and there but I think in year one of a highly complex system he has been VERY good.

Can't imagine where the team would be if BB hadn't traded for him.

Where would 60 catches 1000yds come from?
Agreed. And this past game proves it. Gronk is transcendent and Brady keeps feeding him and why not.
And people say Cooks did nothing. With 60 yds and a td (in traffic, no less.)
Project those stats out and you get 1000 yds and 16 tds....

A deep threat forces the opposing defense to play differently. Teams can't sell out to swamp the short routes if it lets Cooks get wide open downfield. Teams can't stack the box against the run either.

Everything complements everything else, ideally. If you can threaten the whole field on every snap, the defense can't key on any one thing and there are more favorable match-ups everywhere.
Fans are funny.
The dolphins game plan to take cooks out of the game. Which works because you can take anyone of a game if you sacrifice enough. So the patriots had an injured hogan easily taken out without much attention and Dwayne Allen at TE. They had amendola and he did ok but is very limited. Fans freak on cooks.

Gronk comes back Pittsburgh tries to duplicate what Miami did and Gronk destroys them, while cooks had a reasonably productive game (and a huge one if he wasn’t forced out of bounds on the bomb).
Fans trash cooks.

If only people commenting on things actually knew what they were watching.

Cooks has been excellent. I have no quarrels with him at all, but I do wish the coaching staff would maximize his skill set. (Slants, posts, screens, crossers, etc...)
Maybe they’re saving some stuff for the playoffs..?

Last edited:
Cooks has been excellent. I have no quarrels with him at all, but I do wish the coaching staff would maximize his skill set. (Slants, posts, screens, etc...)
I’d like to see him run away from coverage on crossing routes like jjss big play. Of course the situation has to present itself, having him beat on by LBs as he crosses won’t do much good.
Remember the greatest receivers ever don’t get 1/3 of the targets so for every route you get thrown to you are a piece of the puzzle taking coverage away on 2 others.

Everyone *****es we have no deep threat. We get one (on a rookie contract) who is fitting in nicely and on pace for the 12th or 11th or so best season all time in patriots history for a WR

And people complain LOL

latest

It’s like the scene from liar liar with this troll

“Avocado-I object your honor!
Judge- and why’s that?
Avocado-Because it’s devestating to my case!
Judge-Overuled.
Avocado-Good call.”

It’s like the scene from liar liar with this troll

“Avocado-I object your honor!
Judge- and why’s that?
Avocado-Because it’s devestating to my case!
Judge-Overuled.
Avocado-Good call.”

Yep, he has been banned FYI. Good riddance.

Hey Avacado!

BYE-BYE-WAVE.jpg

Meh not a big Cooks guy.

Doesn’t help move the chains.

Sure, a big play once in a while is nice.. I rsther move the chains

We would have moved the chains on the 1st pats drive of the 2nd half against the dolphins if Brady didn't under throw the ball.

Last edited:
Cooks has been excellent. I have no quarrels with him at all, but I do wish the coaching staff would maximize his skill set. (Slants, posts, screens, crossers, etc...)

Seems like cooks runs a very limited route tree and he seems to disappear for long stretches in tight man coverage, even one in one.

His speed alone should guarantee down field separation, but Brady rarely throws him a 50-50 ball.

I really wish we had a healthy Edelman or kept Carr because cooks and gronkowski have opened up the shallow underneath routes and we only have running backs to work them.

Not as high on him as some here but I have no complaints for the most part. About what I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes