PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Conditioning run test...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to try this myself, but I think I will fail . I at least need more rest then they do.

The thing is, whatever it is, there is zero reason for any of these guys to fail it. You’re living the dream, your job is to be in the best shape you can.

I want to try this myself, but I think I will fail . I at least need more rest then they do.
I'd like to try it too I just need access to a football field and the motivation of lifetime financial security

I run 25 miles a week, am pretty fast, and do a lot of cross training. I'll be competing in the spartan beast at kilington in september. A lot of my HIT sets allow for 30 seconds of rest. 30 seconds of rest is not a lot of time. I am not sure I could complete the conditioning test, in fact it probably would hurt a lot.
I ran track competitively in high school and college and did quite a bit of interval training. Thirty seconds of rest after running 40 yards @ under 7 seconds is ample recovery time relatively speaking, especially combined with three minutes of rest between sets of 10. I'm not saying that third set wouldn't be demanding, but I certainly could have passed this test back in the day. You didn't specify what your HIT sets comprise, but I'm sure you'd agree that the type of distance running you focus on is not synonymous, from a conditioning perspective, with the speed work football players emphasize almost exclusively (different energy systems).

Last edited:
I ran track competitively in high school and college and did quite a bit of interval training. Thirty seconds of rest after running 40 yards @ under 7 seconds is ample recovery time relatively speaking, especially combined with three minutes of rest between sets of 10. I'm not saying that third set wouldn't be demanding, but I certainly could have passed this test back in the day. You didn't specify what your HIT sets comprise, but I'm sure you'd agree that the type of distance running you focus on is not synonymous, from a conditioning perspective, with the speed work football players emphasize almost exclusively (different energy systems).
Spartan is a different animal than sprint conditioning tests. Endurance/strength are equal components to speed in Spartan. You find your speed recovery whilst competing in strength tests. I only did one Spartan...it was fine/challenging, more strength focus than speed need.

I like how it simulates potential game conditions. Each set is like a 10-play drive and the 30 seconds in between corresponds to the play clock. The 3 minutes between sets is when the opposite unit is on the field. Obviously it's not a catch-all for every situation, but a decent overall representation.

Regards,
Chris
I agreed with you at first, but then thought of the offensive lineman. No way a 10 play series has them running that many yards every play......Maybe they should run 10 yards pushing a 300 pound sled....

I agreed with you at first, but then thought of the offensive lineman. No way a 10 play series has them running that many yards every play......Maybe they should run 10 yards pushing a 300 pound sled....
Some will be carrying 300 lbs as they run. They don't need to be in football shape, that's what training camp is for.

I run 25 miles a week, am pretty fast, and do a lot of cross training. I'll be competing in the spartan beast at kilington in september. A lot of my HIT sets allow for 30 seconds of rest. 30 seconds of rest is not a lot of time. I am not sure I could complete the conditioning test, in fact it probably would hurt a lot.
They’re 40 yard dashes. You’ve never ran a 40 yard dash before? 30 seconds is plenty of rest. That should be especially so if you’re a distance runner. That means that you have the lungs for it and that’s half the battle.

Never know when it's your turn to pull on a running play?

Regards,
Chris

Great article by Matt Chatham in the Athletic detailing the Patriots conditioning tests.

1. 40s/50s/60s: This is the drill the Patriots do, the one I’m most familiar with. It’s either 40, 50, or 60 yards based on the group you’re in (lightweights, middleweights, heavyweights), and there are no turns like the other two tests above. Straight shot, with a time requirement of 40 yards in 6 seconds, 50 in 7, or 60 in 8. Each successive rep is run at the 30-second mark. In other words, if you’re doing 40s and you finish right at 6 seconds as required, you’re getting 24 seconds of rest between reps. The first set is 10 reps, then a 3-minute break, then 10 more reps for a total of 20.
He goes into detail about methods a lot of veterans would use to get ready for the test.

They’re 40 yard dashes. You’ve never ran a 40 yard dash before? 30 seconds is plenty of rest. That should be especially so if you’re a distance runner. That means that you have the lungs for it and that’s half the battle.
I think the main point to remember is there's a strong anaerobic element to sprinting vs. the primarily aerobic nature of distance running. There's little crossover in the energy systems developed for each. So, the world's best distance (endurance) runner seriously would be sucking air attempting a sprint-oriented conditioning test, and vice versa for a sprinter trying to run five miles.

I also work out regularly...3X one hour sessions a week...I usually do about 20 minutes of HIIT followed by 40 minutes of cardio on the elliptical. Like yourself, I give myself a 15 second break between the low rep sets and 30 seconds between the high rep sets (I do it pyramid style 4 sets of..lo...hi...hi...lo).

Yup, 30 seconds ain't long....your breathing and heart rate needs maybe a minute or two to slow down back to baseline, IMO. So, you feel it with each subsequent set.....

Great article by Matt Chatham in the Athletic detailing the Patriots conditioning tests.

1. 40s/50s/60s: This is the drill the Patriots do, the one I’m most familiar with. It’s either 40, 50, or 60 yards based on the group you’re in (lightweights, middleweights, heavyweights), and there are no turns like the other two tests above. Straight shot, with a time requirement of 40 yards in 6 seconds, 50 in 7, or 60 in 8. Each successive rep is run at the 30-second mark. In other words, if you’re doing 40s and you finish right at 6 seconds as required, you’re getting 24 seconds of rest between reps. The first set is 10 reps, then a 3-minute break, then 10 more reps for a total of 20.
He goes into detail about methods a lot of veterans would use to get ready for the test.

Is there a jewelry allowance? That seems pretty demanding for a 42-year QB with six gigantic Super Bowl rings who was never fast to begin with.

10 reps of 40 yards in 6 seconds with 30 seconds between reps is like running a lap in sprints over five minutes, and running three laps over 25 mins. That shouldn’t be very tough for a conditioned athlete. The 60yards in 8 seconds are tougher for sure.

Bottom line here, did anyone fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back