PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Concerned About JE11

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to start a sky is falling thread but I'm concerned that he has re-injured his foot and that seemingly has hampered his ability to run the kind of routes and make the kind of cuts that make him so special. Seemed like he and TB12 were out of sync on a couple of plays. Not sure if its footwork-related, etc.

With that said, clearly the foot is healthy enough to return kicks and punts which he did a bang-up job of yesterday so not 100% sure I am right.

Anybody else noticing what I think I'm seeing?

I haven't read or heard anything suggesting that the foot is still an issue. It could simply be a timing thing. That's the thing Brady said he would be most concerned about before the CLE game. Edelman missed a lot of time last season and hardly played in the preseason. He also has not played much with Brady in that time. It can take some time to regain the level of chemistry they've had. Rodgers and Nelson seem to be going through the same paces right now, as a comparison. We'll see.

I haven't read or heard anything suggesting that the foot is still an issue. It could simply be a timing thing. That's the thing Brady said he would be most concerned about before the CLE game. Edelman missed a lot of time last season and hardly played in the preseason. He also has not played much with Brady in that time. It can take some time to regain the level of chemistry they've had. Rodgers and Nelson seem to be going through the same paces right now, as a comparison. We'll see.

He was listed during practice this past week as "limited- foot". Thats why I mentioned it.

He was added to the injury report after Cleveland with "foot" and limited in practice. I agree he is not as sharp in his cuts and seems slower out of them. But the main complication would be a refracture, which he would not play through. So concern is warranted as his feet are and will always be a chronic issue, but he is still our #1 WR.

Last edited:
I think you are seeing ghosts, RW. Edelman's production is certainly down with Brady, but that is more of a function of Brady having more options to go to with Hogan, Bennett and White playing bigger roles this season. So instead of having double digit games, he going to have to get by with 4-6 catches/game.

The foot is always going to be a "worry" for such a quick twitch athlete, but I don't think they'd have let him return punts if his foot was bothering. (BTW- he averaged 16 yds/return yesterday which is a great number)

Jules is not returning kicks if he has a significant foot issue. I think he looks to be moving well. Brady missed him on a middle route yesterday that would have been a big gain. You take what the defense gives - yesterday that was the TEs and White. Only 7 completions to WRs.

Yep. Have the same concern. I'd only add that if rest would help, then they should sit him. It's Edelman and Lewis who help mitigate OL issues.

He was listed during practice this past week as "limited- foot". Thats why I mentioned it.
Ohh, gotcha. I missed that. My apologies, Rob. Admittedly, I haven't been able to follow the team as much the past few weeks because of classes, so I have been missing a few reports.

We subtracted LaFell and Chandler and added Hogan and Bennett. Edelman won't get as much targets this year.

....and when/if Dion comes back it'll be less.

Not enough balls to go around in this offense. Not a bad problem to have.

I think it depends on the match ups. If they are going to leave Gronk one on one, then Gronk is getting the ball. If someone decides to double Gronk (like a few teams did earlier this year), then Edelman will have a huge game.

We subtracted LaFell and Chandler and added Hogan and Bennett. Edelman won't get as much targets this year.

This. 2013-2015, he was no lower than Brady's #2 target. Now, he could be all the way down at #4 (behind Gronk, Bennett, Hogan) and there's nothing wrong with that.

Of course, he has been on the injury report and CIN did want him erased.

I think you are seeing ghosts, RW. Edelman's production is certainly down with Brady, but that is more of a function of Brady having more options to go to with Hogan, Bennett and White playing bigger roles this season. So instead of having double digit games, he going to have to get by with 4-6 catches/game.

The foot is always going to be a "worry" for such a quick twitch athlete, but I don't think they'd have let him return punts if his foot was bothering. (BTW- he averaged 16 yds/return yesterday which is a great number)

I agree on the PRs. If there was a concern with a re-fracture they would not be playing him.

I am leaning towards it being a timing issue with TB12 as they have not played a lot together. Maybe he is subconsciously favoring it a little on the hard cuts. Don't know.

He'll be fine. As that one amusingly-named former poster here was named Patshavewepunz this year. His touches will go down because Brady has other people to throw to and he might be getting covered more closely because they know Brady likes to throw to him. Remember the old pre-2007 Brady mantra about who his favorite receiver is...it's the one that's open.

Not trying to start a sky is falling thread but I'm concerned that he has re-injured his foot and that seemingly has hampered his ability to run the kind of routes and make the kind of cuts that make him so special. Seemed like he and TB12 were out of sync on a couple of plays. Not sure if its footwork-related, etc.

With that said, clearly the foot is healthy enough to return kicks and punts which he did a bang-up job of yesterday so not 100% sure I am right.

Anybody else noticing what I think I'm seeing?
I think its just a matter of us having so many weapons.
Brady had 6 incomplete passes yesterday. At least 3 I can remember off the top of my head were thrown away because of pressure.
He had receivers open all day long. Edelman won't get as many balls when that is happening.
Additionally, its a game plan thing. Clearly the scheme the Bengals were playing focused more on WRs, and left TEs and RBs with good matchups.

The Bungirls were dropping 7 in coverage a lot yesterday. I think that had more to do with it than anything. O, and Gronk.

That's not it at all. He hasn't been himself all season, but especially since he started appearing on the injury report.

It is concerning because he's an important part of the offense. When healthy, he allows us to mask any issues the OL is having by getting open and allowing Brady to get the ball out in 2 seconds or less. I wouldn't mind if he were to sit for a few games so he can get healthy. We'll need him come playoff time.

Yeah, it is a little concerning.

I'm also wondering why Bennett was on the sideline for much of the 1st half (he got like, 5 targets eventually, but his absence was notable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes