PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts give Brissett $28M, mostly guaranteed in 2020, for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I understand the original post, it would seem Jacoby will get $28M total in 2020 if he plays. The original post states, "2-year extension REPLACES old contract and gives an additional year at $28M." If I misunderstood, then this isn't a bad deal if it means they can flip him later. But if they are going to pay him $28M in 2020, that is far too much at this stage.
I read it the same but replaces 2019 at $2M with 2019/20 at $30M, with $20M guaranteed.

Here's what it says on Spotrac:
Jacoby Brissett signed a 2 year, $30,000,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000. In 2019, Brissett will earn a base salary of $2,000,000 and a workout bonus of $25,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,025,000.
So I think that means:
Signing bonus of $20 Million
2019 Base of $2 Million
2020 Base of just under $8 Million
For $30 Million Total. Right?
So good, bad, or indifferent in 2019, the Colts are scheduled to pay him $8 Million for 2020. In the case of Brissett playing OK to Great, this is better than Franchising him as the big payout will be in the past season (2019) and not 2020. If he's terrible then they should be in position to draft a Franchise QB, and he'll be a $8 Million bridge/backup.

That doesn’t mean that you should burn it on a JAG QB.
And whatever incentive Brissett might have had to PROVE he's not a JAG QB and worthy of a big payday just went out the window. It's almost like the Colts did this to spite Luck.

And whatever incentive Brissett might have had to PROVE he's not a JAG QB and worthy of a big payday just went out the window.

Where are you getting this sort of claim? Brissett is getting paid as a bottom-level starter who's not on his rookie deal, nothing more. All that's happened is that the Colts have sped up the clock one year so that their QB isn't a lame duck.

Well it’s not “like a franchise tag next year” if the guaranteed money is this year. They would only be into him for 10 mill cap hit next year if he sucks not 28 mill.

And an extra $10M this year...for a total of $20M that they’re on the hook for today that they weren’t yesterday, thus an additional $20M guaranteed for a one year extension.

Where are you getting this sort of claim? Brissett is getting paid as a bottom-level starter who's not on his rookie deal, nothing more. All that's happened is that the Colts have sped up the clock one year so that their QB isn't a lame duck.
Simply because he hasn't proven himself worthy of that kind of investment and the well-fed usually aren't hungry.

Simply because he hasn't proven himself worthy of that kind of investment.

The Colts like him. They've liked him from the beginning. They've made that abundantly clear.

And he's getting $15m a year, which is bottom of the barrel money for a starting NFL QB who's not on a rookie deal. Even if he completely ****s the bed, it's not a problem, because the Colts have more than enough cap space to handle having to add another QB.

And an extra $10M this year...for a total of $20M that they’re on the hook for today that they weren’t yesterday, thus an additional $20M guaranteed for a one year extension.
You do realize he became the starting QB. You would have him play this year at $2M? Anyway, why does this matter to the Patriots or anyone? I'm thrilled for Jacoby personally, seems like a great guy.

Taken from Slam, post #42 above (bolded part is by me):

Here's what it says on Spotrac:

Jacoby Brissett signed a 2 year, $30,000,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000. In 2019, Brissett will earn a base salary of $2,000,000 and a workout bonus of $25,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,025,000.

Average annual salary (15M) is a useless statistic that carries no action. I read this as a $30M cap hit in year two. $20M is guaranteed, it doesn't say there is a bonus. The way this is structured is bizarre or the information from Spotrac is incomplete.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Colts like him. They've liked him from the beginning. They've made that abundantly clear.

And he's getting $15m a year, which is bottom of the barrel money for a starting NFL QB who's not on a rookie deal. Even if he completely ****s the bed, it's not a problem, because the Colts have more than enough cap space to handle having to add another QB.
Are you sure about $15 million being "bottom barrel"? I don't recall it being that high but maybe so with a cap increase.

That’s still not the same as tagging him. The tag is like 28 mill. They won’t be in the hook for 28 mill next year if he sucks.
Just saying as usual Florio bastardizes the facts to try to sound insightful.

That’s still not the same as tagging him. The tag is like 28 mill. They won’t be in the hook for 28 mill next year if he sucks.
Just saying as usual Florio bastardizes the facts to try to sound insightful.

Ice_Ice_Brady has left the chat room

They were probably below the minimum spend of 89% so just gave Jacoby some money.

Why wouldn't they trade for teams looking to dump good players with large contracts? Paying Jacoby more money doesn't improve their team in any such way.

They still have more than enough room to do that. They paid a QB that they think they like a decent but not massive amount of money for a short term in a league in which it’s hard to find serviceable players at that position. It’s a good deal for both sides.

Are b/u's make a ton of money & are causing Indy to be a middle of the pack team. Not bad.

Also how many teams have to up their starting QB bc they just gave their b/u almost 10MG?

I never want to hear abt "professionals" again lol. Between Houston, Mia, NYJ & other teams making just asinine decision it makes you wonder who's running these teams & should they be.
Glad you finally got it.

Opening up the check book for a Bum is the road to ruin.

1) Brissett is a good QB, in a good situation can be better than most guys.
2) The reason is they need to spend cash to achieve the 89%

The Colts just made it harder to bench Brisset and put in the better QB Hoyer.

Crazy

The Colts just guaranteed close to $30 million over the next few years for two QB's who couldn't make our roster.

The absurd thing is that Brissett might be even less accurate than Hoyer. And we know how people here think about Hoyer's accuracy.

Yes the reps he got with the Colts because Luck was barely available made him better than when he could not hit a haybarn in his second offseason here. But if someone sees a prop that Hoyer will replace JB at some point before week 10 on a betting site around let me know.

The Colts bought short term stability at a critical position during a time of extreme organizational flux.
What’s the issue?

Brissett is no longer a lame duck

Brissett has an opportunity to prove himself without pending job insecurity.

The Colts organization has made a demonstration of faith that will hopefully give him greater standing in the huddle.

In other words they like Brissett and they believe this team is in a winning window right now.
I thought last year was his opportunity to prove himself, and he came up wanting.

If he can't deal with a little job insecurity, he ain't the kind of leader the Dolts Brass say he is.

Worried about Hoyer breathing down his neck? LOL!

To me this sends a bad team building message, "We pay for mediocrity".

I know this is the "I wanna get paid!" era, but I like the fact that NE is not out in front of that trend.

As @Tunescribe says, pay for performance and keep 'em hungry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes