PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College OT rules coming to NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
College overtimes can sometimes take excruciatingly long to resolve. I enjoy it in college but it would be epic fail in the NFL.

of course, the patriots won the super bowl in OT so naturally the rules will be changed. :rolleyes:
2016 red zone scoring percentage (TD only)
atlanta: 64.6% (#8)
new england: 64.0 (#10)

2016 red zone scoring percentage allowed (TD only)
atlanta: 71.6% (#32)
new england: 52.3 (#12)

college OT rules would have benefited the patriots in the super bowl

Link:
The NFL Competition Committee | NFL Football Operations

Take a look at who the chairman of the competition committee is. See anything interesting?

Atlanta had their "OT possession" when they had the ball at the Pats' 22yd line after JJ's insane catch. They didn't score.

I hear nothing but the world's smallest violin for a team up 28-3 being denied a possession in OT.

Regards,
Chris

If you gave the 2nd team a possession just like the first team, the advantage goes to the 2nd team. If the first team scored a TD, they would have the advantage of knowing to go for all 4th downs. The current system gives the first team the advantage of winning with a TD, the 2nd team the advantage of winning with a FG. It is fair.

Even the college system benefits the team that goes 2nd - they know what they have to do.

They already have. Why do you think they got rid of the sudden death where any score ends the game?

If they wanted to change it so both teams had a chance to possess the ball, regardless if the team who won the coin toss scored a touchdown, that wouldn't be the worst idea.

Feel like deciding the game on a coin toss guess is a bit unfair for the opposing team. One possible blown coverage later and the game, season or championship could be lost.

I think we'd all be pretty pissed if we lost the coin toss in OT and the Falcons took a kickoff return to the end zone and won the Super Bowl.

But changing it to anything else is stupidity.

They already have. Why do you think they got rid of the sudden death where any score ends the game?

What the NFL currently has, while not what it was 10 years ago, is way different from (and better than) college rules.

If they wanted to change it so both teams had a chance to possess the ball, regardless if the team who won the coin toss scored a touchdown, that wouldn't be the worst idea.

Feel like deciding the game on a coin toss guess is a bit unfair for the opposing team. One possible blown coverage later and the game, season or championship could be lost.

I think we'd all be pretty pissed if we lost the coin toss in OT and the Falcons took a kickoff return to the end zone and won the Super Bowl.

But changing it to anything else is stupidity.

But this gives the advantage to the 2nd team. The first team would punt on 4th downs in its territory, but if the first team scored either a FG or TD, the 2nd team would know to never punt, but to play for the needed score. No system is fair - but the current system gives a specific advantage to each team.

College overtimes can sometimes take excruciatingly long to resolve. I enjoy it in college but it would be epic fail in the NFL.
I'll agree with "epic fail in the NFL", but it's horrible in college, too.

Hate college OT, virtually useless.
Me too, it's like they play football for 60 minutes and then finish with a gimmick.

It would be like if NBA overtimes were dunk contests.

Play football until there is a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye