PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

Yeah, when you have elite talent in almost every place except in one clear position the you aim for need not best player available. Conversely, when you lack talent everywhere then you need to do the opposite. It’s not that hard to understand.

3 teams that just drafted WR's in the top 15 will STILL be bottom of the barrel this year......and next year.......teams build from behind center and in the trenches......how many young QB's have had careers destroyed because of poor protection and no running game.......this team will again have elite running talent.......and pass protection should continue to improve

there's a few rounds left......wait until at least sunday to jump, ok?

And you know that how? Special league sources?
So what If someone else took him in the middle of the second round. Do you really think he is so special that losing out on Strange would’ve torpedoed this draft? If they couldn’t trade back there were still very good LBs and CBs on the board Where they took strange. Then they could’ve used one of the picks the got for moving back from 21 and get him in the top 1/4 of round 2. Or just wait until 54 and take him there or the next best available guard.

When the Pats drafted Devin McCourty, I was pissed too. The announcers on TV were confused and were like "well, he's a good special teams player." Turned out to be a great pick.
Your revisionist history won't help you here. McCourty was widely seen as the 3rd or 4th best CB in that year's draft and was the 3rd CB selected. I googled "2010 Mock Draft" and the first 2 I clicked on (Peter King and Fox Sports) each had McCourty going late in the first round.

Absolutely no one was confused when NE took him at #27. That was almost exactly where he was expected to go.

The Rams laughed because BB has big brass balls and doesn’t give a fk what people think. They obviously liked the player.
I get BB doesn’t care, but that doesn’t make the pick a good one in Rd 1. And I did not get that impression at all from the clip of the Rams reaction Unless you mean they liked him as a late 3Rd pick

3 teams that just drafted WR's in the top 15 will STILL be bottom of the barrel this year......and next year.......teams build from behind center and in the trenches......how many young QB's have had careers destroyed because of poor protection and no running game.......this team will again have elite running talent.......and pass protection should continue to improve

there's a few rounds left......wait until at least sunday to jump, ok?
I think the idea that the sooner BB jumps (or is pushed) the better. Strike now to maximize his unpopularity.

There was no scenario where the Patriots were going to pay Hightower and Jones at the same time, there was no room under the cap. BB had to pick one, and he picked the correct player.
That reply had nothing to do with cap management but rather your statement that Chandler Jones was a 'failure' as a draft pick because he did not 'stick around' for a 2nd contract. He most certainly was not a failed draft pick. The Patriots were just being cheap as usual. Chandler Jones more than proved his value to the team that he was traded to - 2 all-pro selections and 3 more pro bowls does not make a player a failure.

It's not Chandlers fault that the Patriots couldn't manage their cap well enough to retain their best talent. Somehow Tampa Bay manages to retain most of their best talent year after year, but apparently that's beyond BB's capabilities as a GM. Again it's the team's fault in this case, not the player's.

You're saying we only got a 5th because teams conspired to screw over BB? The market consensus was that Mason was worth a 5th.
I was responding to a comment about how the Pats great draft capital from trades.

Does this mean we're going to double-dip and draft Tyrell Price?

I get BB doesn’t care, but that doesn’t make the pick a good one in Rd 1. And I did not get that impression at all from the clip of the Rams reaction Unless you mean they liked him as a late 3Rd pick
Snead told you his obscure school off the top of his head…. they knew exactly who the player was.

The kid is a great guard prospect, one of the best in this draft class. I didn’t expect or want a guard, but then nobody does.

Strange isn’t a massive reach if he’s projected to go in the 2nd. The Rams were hoping he fell to them.
Yeah - the Rams were hoping he fell to them at #104.

Not true. You are self-deluded.

If you think this message board reacted the same to Mankins as Strange you are engaging in revisionist history.
Well, the Pats were winning after an eternal drought...this message board back then wasn't toxic. This message board wasn't Felgerized until the end of 2019, other than a couple of non-stop complainers.

So what If someone else took him in the middle of the second round. Do you really think he is so special that losing out on Strange would’ve torpedoed this draft? If they couldn’t trade back there were still very good LBs and CBs on the board Where they took strange. Then they could’ve used one of the picks the got for moving back from 21 and get him in the top 1/4 of round 2. Or just wait until 54 and take him there or the next best available guard.
I think its clear that BB thought Strange was the best pick at the time for the team's system and circumstances. He thinks he knows his team better than you and doesn't give a crap about your opinion.

All of this has nothing do with "value" because no one knows if he will be a good player or not. If he starts day 1 and does a good job, the pick is a steal. Has Kiper scouted this player extensively or interviewed him? If not...he is basing his opinions on tape and other people's opinions.

However based on past 5 years, BB performance in drafting starting caliber players overall has been poor. It is hard to have faith in his GM draft selection abilities. I think overall the talent level on this team is in the bottom third of the league and it its unlikely the reminder of the draft will change that. If Pats do not make playoffs and finish 3rd or 4th, I would hope that BB and Kraft realize it is time for change.

Snead told you his obscure school off the top of his head…. they knew exactly who the player was.

The kid is a great guard prospect, one of the best in this draft class. I didn’t expect or want a guard, but then nobody does.
I have no doubt Snead could tell you the name of the school for every player likely to go in the first three rounds. He was at the Senior Bowl, so everyone knew him. I hope he works out, but there are other glaring needs on defense and test will be how compares to other 3rd round guards.

I think its clear that BB thought Strange was the best pick at the time for the team's system and circumstances. He thinks he knows his team better than you and doesn't give a crap about your opinion.
I’m sorry, but if all you want to do is waive Pom Poms for BB, then why bother? Oh and because BB knows more than me that make Harry a great pick.

Yeah - the Rams were hoping he fell to them at #104.
If he turns into a Pro Bowl guard where he was projected or drafted will be irrelevant.

I have no doubt Snead could tell you the name of the school for every player likely to go in the first three rounds. He was at the Senior Bowl, so everyone knew him. I hope he works out, but there are other glaring needs on defense and test will be how compares to other 3rd round guards.
Offensive line was a glaring need. They have ten more picks, plenty of ammo to move around and pick more great prospects. This draft is really deep.

I am not sure that Jones would have been the player here that he was in Arizona though. Te Cards' scheme seem to fit his playing style. They seemed to let him pin his ears back and rush which the Pats just don't let players do all that much. So whether or not that they were cheap or not, they were unlikely to get as much value out of him.

But don't underestimate Jones' run in the law being a contributing factor.

You can argue that Belichick didnt get enough back for him or should have let him just pin his ears back and rush more, but he was a better player in Arizona than he was here and he may never had made it to the All Pro list if he stayed.

Again, I'll repeat myself. Just because the Pats were being cheap, does not make the player a failure as a draft pick, it just makes the Pats cheap.

Chandler Jones played at a pro bowl level with the Patriots. As you observed Chandler Jones even elevated his game to a higher level with the Cardinals, reaching all-pro status. But again this just continues to prove that his talent was well worth the draft pick.

Reiterating the point of the reply, that people don't seem to get, Chandler Jones is not a 'failure' as a draft pick simply because he was not offered a 2nd contract by the Patriots as the previous poster stated. It just means that he played really, really well, and the Patriots were being CHEAP. So they traded him instead of PAYING what he was actually worth in free agency. To state that a player didn't reach his 2nd contract with the Patriots is a failure of a draft pick is a fallacy of logic for the particular case of Chandler Jones. You have to look at what he did after he was traded, and he did extremely well by any measure.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back