PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaching Staff Concerns (*posts moved out of rookie camp thread)

Hmmm, that would be 3.
I count 2 (assuming Ring's info is accurate), Lombardi and McD's own pupil. Neither was gonna get a coordinator job in NE in 2022.

Either way, be it 2 or 3 assistants, it's not exactly a raid. I'm curious to see what the norm is for this sort of thing, but 2-3 low level coaches seems pretty average.

Last edited:
He took:
Lombardi (OC)
Bricillo (OL) &
Hardegree (QB)

"I still, at some level, believe that Bill Belichick is trying to centralize responsibility," Florio told co-host Chris Simms. "He's trying to reduce the pressure and the scrutiny of the individual assistant coaches because I think he knows -- if he didn't know before they got the crap kicked out of them by the Bills in primetime to end their 2021 season ... and his son Steve supposedly is the de-facto defensive coordinator -- that's the type of performance that defensive coordinators get fired for.

Well, Bill isn't going to fire one of his kids.
And if you ain't gonna fire one of your kids, it makes it harder to hold other people on the staff accountable as well.

"I really think that at some level, he is trying to protect himself, and the two kids of his that work for him, from an awkward spot by keeping it very deliberately confusing as to who is doing what," Florio added.

"I still, at some level, believe that Bill Belichick is trying to centralize responsibility," Florio told co-host Chris Simms. "He's trying to reduce the pressure and the scrutiny of the individual assistant coaches because I think he knows -- if he didn't know before they got the crap kicked out of them by the Bills in primetime to end their 2021 season ... and his son Steve supposedly is the de-facto defensive coordinator -- that's the type of performance that defensive coordinators get fired for.

Well, Bill isn't going to fire one of his kids.
And if you ain't gonna fire one of your kids, it makes it harder to hold other people on the staff accountable as well.

"I really think that at some level, he is trying to protect himself, and the two kids of his that work for him, from an awkward spot by keeping it very deliberately confusing as to who is doing what," Florio added.

His son's need to go elsewhere and make through the ranks on their own while taking on full responsibility. Why would his kids want to keep hiding behind Dad?

Bill is going to bat for pretty much the entire Coaching staff and putting it on him.

What the Fv*k is this, Romper Room? Bill needs to protect his staff from the mean ppl in the media? Florio isn't a reliable source but if any of this shyt is true then it's completely unprofessional. What a joke.

I listened to today's press conf. w/ McDaniels. He was candid, humble, professional, answered every question except ones having to do with Kap because "he's not on the team." How refreshing it must be for fans that like to know what's going on w/ their team to listen to HCs actually answer questions from the media. Instead of listening to a guy that treats his fans like he's running a pretend CIA secret operation.

LMAO

"some left the team a while ago"

...good stuff Andy
Sorry to confuse your hyperbole with facts.
Trying to portray hiring a guy who left the patriots in 2015 as contrary to doing the right thing and not raiding Belichicks staff is proof you know your argument is weak.

5 coaches
2 were not even patriots coaches.
1 was not wanted back
1 was McDaniels personal gofor
1 was a position coach promoted to coordinator that we weren’t promoting to coordinator.
Big fat nothing burger.
But you know that.

He took:
Lombardi (OC)
Bricillo (OL) &
Hardegree (QB)
He didn’t “take” Bricillo. Bricillo contract was up and the patriots were not renewing it.

Sorry to confuse your hyperbole with facts.
Trying to portray hiring a guy who left the patriots in 2015 as contrary to doing the right thing and not raiding Belichicks staff is proof you know your argument is weak.

5 coaches
2 were not even patriots coaches.
1 was not wanted back
1 was McDaniels personal gofor
1 was a position coach promoted to coordinator that we weren’t promoting to coordinator.
Big fat nothing burger.
But you know that.
Andy, you are arguing with yourself again.

Belichick has absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt, but this is the first offseason I can remember looking at the staff and instantly thinking "Oh eff off with this BS."

I'll have a good laugh if I'm wrong and the Pats go 14-3 but the staff has never (to my recollection) been this full of guys who just seem like outright stiffs.

I’ve already said I think Kraft would consider making a change if Belichick goes 5 years with no success

He won’t be around long enough to get to that point anyways I would imagine given his age

I’ve never liked the bland press conferences etc over the last 20 years, but it just sort of became a humorous footnote in what was the greatest dynasty of all time. If we were a middling team struggling to win our division and get playoff births for the last 20 years, I don’t think we would have appreciated Belichick’s style all that much
I've loved Belichick's style the whole time

If Rex Ryan had ever coached here, I would've pulled my hair out.

Pete Carroll didn't get the nickname Pom-Pom in Seattle or at USC. He got it in New England

Belichick has absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt, but this is the first offseason I can remember looking at the staff and instantly thinking "Oh eff off with this BS."

I'll have a good laugh if I'm wrong and the Pats go 14-3 but the staff has never (to my recollection) been this full of guys who just seem like outright stiffs.
Who is a stiff?

Interesting inside view from Cassel. Unless Bill a/o Fat Matt are attending QB meetings, it'll be Judge making the calls.

Interesting inside view from Cassel. Unless Bill a/o Fat Matt are attending QB meetings, it'll be Judge making the calls.

Coolio...

"Without the title," Cassel said, "Josh was running the offense. He was the guy in Tom's ear. But it was interesting being on the sidelines. Bill would say on the headset, 'We want to run the ball here, what do you like?' It might be [offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia] who would chime in on the headset and suggest something. There was open communication on the mic. But when it came to getting the gameplan organized, meeting with the quarterbacks, discussing preferences with certain plays, openers, things of that nature, it was Josh McDaniels and Tom Brady."

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back