PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coach Bill Cowher discusses Spygate (via the Athletic)

Cowher has been saying this for 13 years. So has Jimmy Johnson though that’s less relevant to the Patriots. The only coach I can even recall getting on a soapbox to accuse the Patriots of being Satan’s own was Shula who is so wrapped up in an incredibly absurd mythology of being a pure soul who literally turned down chances to cheat because he’d rather lose with honor. Which if you believe those stories I have several bridges to sell you.

Also as an aside only making one Super Bowl (and getting killed) with Marino should be a stain on Shula’s legacy.

Cowher has been saying this for 13 years. So has Jimmy Johnson though that’s less relevant to the Patriots. The only coach I can even recall getting on a soapbox to accuse the Patriots of being Satan’s own was Shula who is so wrapped up in an incredibly absurd mythology of being a pure soul who literally turned down chances to cheat because he’d rather lose with honor. Which if you believe those stories I have several bridges to sell you.

Also as an aside only making one Super Bowl (and getting killed) with Marino should be a stain on Shula’s legacy.
Dungy too.

Tarp Gate and Painkiller Gate. Shula is one of the biggest cheaters the NFL has ever seen and that made him a hypocrite for calling out "Beli-cheat".

What I don’t understand is how tf Florio thinks his opinion even matters. Cowher coached against Bill. Not Florio.

What Florio and the rest of the clickbait journalist posse should really do is ask why guys like Cowher don’t view it as cheating. Do some INVESTIGATIVE journalism and really dig into the culture of professional sports. Shouldn’t be hard. He even has quotes from Cowher alluding to trying to gain a competitive edge in that exact article.

It’s wild. I was born in 81. Growing up, I have many memories of chalking things like this up to simple gamesmanship. You did every little thing you could to try and gain an edge. The rest of society acts as if some veil had been pulled from their eyes and they awoke to this incredible horror of their golden gods being nothing more than mortal men.

Florio defended Brady during deflategate so it’s more complicated than that.

Florio? Isn't he a lawyer? Shouldn't a lawyer know that you cannot lie to damage someone's reputation? This is a lie:

"The problem with Spygate came from the manner in which the edge was obtained. The Patriots videotaped defensive coaching signals, in violation of the rules. And they got caught."

YOU COULD ALWAYS VIDEOTAPE DEFENSIVE SIGNALS. YOU CAN STILL TAPE THEM TODAY.

Yes, the Patriots screwed up and ignored the 2007 memo saying that they could only do so from above and not on the sidelines. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THEY DID WRONG. IN 2007!!

When they played the Steelers in 2001 & 2004, it was still OK to tape FROM THE SIDELINES. The Patriots didn't break any rules in 2001 or 2004!!!

Florio is truly an idiot.

"Yes, the Patriots screwed up and ignored the 2007 memo saying that they could only do so from above and not on the sidelines. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THEY DID WRONG. IN 2007!!"

Isn't this a case of the memo carrying no weight, as a major change like this would have to go through the competition committee?

Florio is getting desprate for clicks, as usual.

The book contains no mention of Spygate, the cheating scandal that became an asterisk to the first three Super Bowls won by New England under Bill Belichick.

Think about how desperate you'd need to be to turn this into a click generator. He's using Cowher's book release as a lightning rod to get a bunch of people talking about Spygate, a return to Florio's glory days when the click counts were high. Even this has only generated 73 comments, a paltry amount compared to what these stories used to get.

"Spygate" was a matter of BB tying to assert that Goodell wasn't god and couldn't unilaterally change rules.

BB was pissed and didn't want to go down that slippery slope. That's why he defied the memo and did the taping right in the open. He gave the middle finger to the Commissioner/WannabeKing and the league made the Pats pay dearly for it.

"Spygate" was a matter of BB tying to assert that Goodell wasn't god and couldn't unilaterally change rules.

BB was pissed and didn't want to go down that slippery slope. That's why he defied the memo and did the taping right in the open. He gave the middle finger to the Commissioner/WannabeKing and the league made the Pats pay dearly for it.

Oh come on, he figured he could continue to do it and not get in trouble not because he wanted to make a stand for the rights of everyone in the NFL.

Tarp Gate and Painkiller Gate. Shula is one of the biggest cheaters the NFL has ever seen and that made him a hypocrite for calling out "Beli-cheat".
Shula still has a bug up his asss about the Snowplow game.
Watching his hysterical reactions to it was priceless.

Still has a bug up his arse? He's been dead for over a year.

Spygate? jeezus krist....any person of normal intelligence knows by now it was Goodell-gate. It was why he was elected to the omissioner position by the Mara and Rooney cabal of old school owners who hated the success Kraft brought to the New England franchise. Florio is a dwarf devoid of any scruples...in other words he's a POS.

As I recall, the main factor in beating those Steelers teams was shutting down their Offense and forcing costly mistakes. Knowing their defensive play calls, to whatever extent, is irrelevant to holding their offense in check.

As I recall, the main factor in beating those Steelers teams was shutting down their Offense and forcing costly mistakes. Knowing their defensive play calls, to whatever extent, is irrelevant to holding their offense in check.

Other main factor: the Patriots proceeded to kick the living **** out of the Steelers for the rest of eterninty.

Remember when Mike Tomlin had a hissy fit about the headsets :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back