PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clowney meets with Phins [update: traded to Seattle]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just what a team in rebuild mode needs, a once-in-a-lifetime often injured talent who is probably closer to the end of his career than the start.

I dunno, maybe he'll be cheaper than I'm guessing but my gut is telling me he'd be getting more money than he should from them.

I think this is interesting I can't see Miami willing to give up a first unless they are sold on Rosen.

I think this is interesting I can't see Miami willing to give up a first unless they are sold on Rosen.
The Texans aren’t getting a first. Clowney can’t be extended until after the season, which kills his trade value.

Don't really care.

ZZZ

If there was a call where a player could do just one thing ...
Like say chase a Frisbee down ... he would have had a great career.

ZZZ

If there was a call where a player could do just one thing ...
Like say chase a Frisbee down ... he would have had a great career.

Since recovering from his injury (though he'll never be at 100% again) he suffered in his very first NFL game, he's had 9.5 and 9 sacks in the last two seasons. So he's doing pretty well even now. And I'm not sure where you're getting the "one thing" theory from here, given his strong play against the run.

Overpay for a big-name defensive lineman to make a publicity splash rather than rebuilding patiently? The Dolphins would never go down that road.

5aa1b80853425a1b008b45e9-750-375.jpg

Iis he under contract? Isn't that tampering?

The Texans aren’t getting a first. Clowney can’t be extended until after the season, which kills his trade value.
Texans royally screwed themselves & only have themselves to blame. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a 3rd. Blowing their window w Watson.

Just what a team in rebuild mode needs, a once-in-a-lifetime often injured talent who is probably closer to the end of his career than the start.

I dunno, maybe he'll be cheaper than I'm guessing but my gut is telling me he'd be getting more money than he should from them.
Clowney is 26.

Texans royally screwed themselves & only have themselves to blame. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a 3rd. Blowing their window w Watson.
Caserio can't possibly be enthralled anymore with that train wreck

I am in the camp that there are no defensive ends worth the $20M or so price tag so I hope they do get him and tie up a substantial part of their cap. Seems like a really dumb move for a rebuilding team.

Caserio can't possibly be enthralled anymore with that train wreck
I mean when/if he gets there he no longer has any "big" pieces under their rookie contracts. Watson & Mahomes will be looking for deals very soon & will likely reset the market.

Amazing how not too long ago 20M per was "outrageous" & we're getting closer to 40M per.

I mean when/if he gets there he no longer has any "big" pieces under their rookie contracts. Watson & Mahomes will be looking for deals very soon & will likely reset the market.

Amazing how not too long ago 20M per was "outrageous" & we're getting closer to 40M per.
If Watson has a big year he'll absolutely be looking for a record deal

I am in the camp that there are no defensive ends worth the $20M or so price tag so I hope they do get him and tie up a substantial part of their cap. Seems like a really dumb move for a rebuilding team.

You need to get out of that camp. To determine what can be paid at other positions, start with what you're spending at the QB position. Miami isn't spending much there, so they've money to devote to other positions.

When does a free agent not get more money than they should? They're overpaid the vast majority of the time. Clowney will be a free agent and he'll get paid accordingly. Dolphins have a ton of cap space, might as well commit that to a difference-making position (edge rusher).

And as others have said, he's only 26. Edge rushers can continue to be productive into their 30's (we just acquired a 33-year-old Micheal Bennett). But that's putting the cart before the horse -- even if they can get a solid 4-5 year window out of him it's worth it. At his age, that's totally possible.

imo your whole post is very cynical and I have to wonder if this being a team in our division plays a role in that.

Their window with Watson, Bob and company

shattered-window-shattered-window-panes-in-an-empty-industrial-premises-breaking-glass-window-dream-meaning.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots