PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs sign Darrelle Revis

I dont fully understand why people are making fun of KC for the move. With only 6 games left they are paying him like a total of 300k and have an out after the season.

Sure it looks desperate but Gaines is garbage and there really is not much of a downside to this move.
I don’t believe Revis can even make money off this one because it’s less 6Mill, so you’d think he’d be in it mentally..? Could be a good signing if they use him correctly, jets didn’t exactly set him up for success last two years.

I don’t believe Revis can even make money off this one because it’s less 6Mill, so you’d think he’d be in it mentally..? Could be a good signing if they use him correctly, jets didn’t exactly set him up for success last two years.

His only chance to showcase for next year. And, again, if it doesnt work out the Chiefs can just bail in a week with only a minor cap charge (whatever the prorated minimum salary is).

I dont fully understand why people are making fun of KC for the move. With only 6 games left they are paying him like a total of 300k and have an out after the season.

Sure it looks desperate but Gaines is garbage and there really is not much of a downside to this move.
Probably because they are wasting their time on a guy who can’t and doesn’t seem to even want to play any more.
Giving him playing time over the next 6 weeks to find out he can’t play any more is a downside.

Where did you find the contract details?

Probably because they are wasting their time on a guy who can’t and doesn’t seem to even want to play any more.
Giving him playing time over the next 6 weeks to find out he can’t play any more is a downside.

Where did you find the contract details?

Have you seen how other teams are abusing Gaines ? He is maybe the worst starting CB in the league. Anything is better than him... even a desperate move like that.

Dont have the tweet right now so here is NFL.com:

Darrelle Revis signs two-year contract with Chiefs

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport was told by a source that Revis was inked to a two-year deal that will pay him the league minimum with incentives this season and a $10 million price tag for 2018 that becomes guaranteed with the new league year.

Minimum prorated for however long he plays bundled with incentives means to me that they can just cut his ass if he shows up like the bum he was with the Jets.

Have you seen how other teams are abusing Gaines ? He is maybe the worst starting CB in the league. Anything is better than him... even a desperate move like that.

Dont have the tweet right now so here is NFL.com:

Darrelle Revis signs two-year contract with Chiefs

Minimum prorated for however long he plays bundled with incentives means to me that they can just cut his ass if he shows up like the bum he was with the Jets.
But you lose something by disrupting your team in week 12 for an experiment. If you think they will bench Gaines and hand his job to revis there is huge risk in that because if revis fails you have to revert back to the guy you sent to the bench.
I’m not saying there is no potential upside but there certainly is potential downside and given what revis looked like the last 2 years and his ambivalence to play the downside seems more likely.

But you lose something by disrupting your team in week 12 for an experiment. If you think they will bench Gaines and hand his job to revis there is huge risk in that because if revis fails you have to revert back to the guy you sent to the bench.
I’m not saying there is no potential upside but there certainly is potential downside and given what revis looked like the last 2 years and his ambivalence to play the downside seems more likely.

I get what you are saying but go watch Gaines play. It is a catastrophe..

Either way I agree that it is desperate and can backfire.. but they have been in a tailspin anyway...

The Chiefs DBs are young overall. The only thing I think might be the reason for KC signing 32-year-old Revis is to put an experienced player in the DB room who can read offenses and help these guys with coverages. Revis is too slow to be much help, but he was always excellent recognizing what the offense was doing and communicating with his fellow DBs. We saw that in 2014.

This could be a Junior Seau type move. The Chiefs are giving up a lot of yards and points to lesser teams. Maybe they need a situational guy and a mentor to some of these big young DBs who have the physical tools but not the experience to gain control of games. Revis might be the right guy. He had a disastrous last year with the Jets, and was probably surprised when no one came calling in the off-season.

Last edited:
Meh. It's kinda like when your buddy hooks up with the same chick you did two years later and you couldn't care less.
"Darryl Revok!"
ScannersCap_00012.jpg

oh - I mean Darrelle Revis
darrelle-revis-X159606_TK1_135.jpg

"Darrelle"? What's that all about?

Adam Schefter on Twitter

“Chiefs’ CB Darrelle Revis will not play Sunday vs. Bills, per source. Just not enough time to get ready. Revis expected to make Chiefs’ debut next Sunday, fittingly, at the Jets.”

Adam Schefter on Twitter

“Chiefs’ CB Darrelle Revis will not play Sunday vs. Bills, per source. Just not enough time to get ready. Revis expected to make Chiefs’ debut next Sunday, fittingly, at the Jets.”

What a jerk. I hold much animosity for the guy after spewing that nonsense he said

Curious if this is a a CB move or a S move with the early loss of Berry? The two biggest drop offs in Revis IMHO were his hip fluidity in and out of breaks quickly and his tackling.

Basically that puts either use (CB for the turn quickness and sure tackling for the S) in jeopardy of panning out for the Chefs.

I think this is a great move for KC. ZERO risk, with a big upside. Here's why.

Revis' biggest asset has always been his mind and focus. He lost some of that after he left the Pats. But the fact is he is now with a team with a decent shot at the playoffs, and most importantly a HUGE chip on his shoulder. Plus he doesn't have to be Darrelle Revis of 2010. He only has to be a solid NFL starting CB, and its a big win for KC.

I don't believe he would have bothered to come back if he didn't think he was in shape and ready to play. For all the "money grubbing talk" he has nothing much to gain but playoff payouts. Certainly nothing close to worth it, IF he didn't have a real sincere desire to play.

If the Pats had had a bunch of CB injuries (well actually they HAVE had a bunch of CB injuries. ;) ) and their secondary play hadn't improved over the season; I would have been fine with them signing Revis for the last 5 or 6 games.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back