PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
7th most points allowed in the league

Most yards allowed in the league

Most first downs allowed in the league

2nd most passing yards allowed in the league

Highest rush yards allowed per attempt in the league

Allowing the longest average drive in the league in yards and number of plays

Top third highest in the league in passer rating allowed....

I feel better about this game. Time to end another undefeated season prematurely if they get to Foxboro that way. :)

7th most points allowed in the league

Most yards allowed in the league

Most first downs allowed in the league

2nd most passing yards allowed in the league

Highest rush yards allowed per attempt in the league

Allowing the longest average drive in the league in yards and number of plays

Top third highest in the league in passer rating allowed....

I feel better about this game. Time to end another undefeated season prematurely if they get to Foxboro that way. :)

I’m not dismissing their defense leaves a lot to be desired, but there as an explanation of this small sample size to suggest they’re not as bad as they appear. Their offense moved the ball and scored at will for the first three games, and they often went into a prevent-ish soft shell defense to keep the clock running and avoid lightning strike plays.

This feels like one of those traps, where everyone looks at these two offenses, and these two defenses, and says, "Dear god, this is going to be a 48-45 game!" Then it ends up being 21-17, because football is f-ing weird.

I’m not dismissing their defense leaves a lot to be desired, but there as an explanation of this small sample size to suggest they’re not as bad as they appear. Their offense moved the ball and scored at will for the first three games, and they often went into a prevent-ish soft shell defense to keep the clock running and avoid lightning strike plays.

Agreed and through 5 games the entire shooting match is too small of a sample. What KC, The Patriots or any other team is or will be is TBD (wasn't it Miami of the 90s who was the greatest team to ever play the game - - - if you don't count Nov & Dec? :)). The upcoming game isn't the SB, it's just one game albeit they are all important, increasingly so). Whether the Patriots are on the up, KC is peaking and will ebb soon or later, vice versa, something else, it will be determined when the sample size is greater.
Of course this doesn't apply to the Jets. They are the one constant in an otherwise TBD NFL. They suck then you can apply a precise geometric per game suckiness expansion formula. :)

I like that our team has the extra rest but I’m going to have a hard time containing myself for this game. KC defense is bad, kinda reminds me of the Pats last year, but probably not as bad statistically. I feel like our offense will be ready and healthy, we should put up points. I think our D can limit them some but Kelce will probably kill us because we can’t cover him. I guess I would like to see Chung cover him? Crap we probably play all the DB’s and dare them to run against us.

This feels like one of those traps, where everyone looks at these two offenses, and these two defenses, and says, "Dear god, this is going to be a 48-45 game!" Then it ends up being 21-17, because football is f-ing weird.

True....but I’m still betting the over . :D

I am certain that Sony Michel will be ready.

I like that our team has the extra rest but I’m going to have a hard time containing myself for this game. KC defense is bad, kinda reminds me of the Pats last year, but probably not as bad statistically. I feel like our offense will be ready and healthy, we should put up points. I think our D can limit them some but Kelce will probably kill us because we can’t cover him. I guess I would like to see Chung cover him? Crap we probably play all the DB’s and dare them to run against us.
The patriots were the 5th ranked defense in the nfl last year.

This early season game isn’t the same as if we were in Foxborough in January.

I think the Chiefs have the edge atm and that NE might flip the script if they meet in the playoffs. Having said that : a NE loss here would surely lead to that playoff game being in KC, which further complicates the Patriots’ outcome...

It’s going to be interesting.

I'm reminded of the tilt against Jacksonville. Mahomes is riding a confidence wave that is pretty damn high - early disruption of that is key to the game IMHO. When Bentley whiffed on the unblocked shot on Bortles versus Jacksonville Bortles settled into a groove and ended up having a really good game.

The Pats have to have a fast start, which I know is usually not their MO on defense especially as they look to read, react, adjust to an opponent's gameplan.

That said I don't see Reid changing the "RPO-like" attack much given the early success and easier QB decision making out of that approach. There very well could be opportunity to get an early 3 & out (like this past Th) and set a tone to reduce Mahomes' confidence level.

The KC defense MAY be even worse than the Colts...so I'm not worried about the "O".

Last edited by a moderator:
If our D can limit them to around 24 points we win. I think they can do it. Now, I’m not saying that we can’t still win if they score over 30 but I won’t feel so good about it.

If our D can limit them to around 24 points we win. I think they can do it. Now, I’m not saying that we can’t still win if they score over 30 but I won’t feel so good about it.
Our offense vs their defense is a bigger mismatch than their o vs our d.

Our offense vs their defense is a bigger mismatch than their o vs our d.

I’m not saying it isn’t. But I already feel good about our offense and them dropping 42 on the Chiefs wouldn’t surprise me. But our D holding the Chiefs to the mid 20s would make me feel a lot better about that side of the ball. So I’d really really enjoy a 45-24 win while a 45-42 win would make me more relieved than happy.

Hell I’d prefer a 17-14 win over a 45-42 win for that reason.

Kareen Hunt, Spencer Ware ...
Them stopping out running game us a bigger concern than us stopping theirs. Spencer Ware?
They are allowing 5.7 ypc to go along with 65.5% completions a 100 def QBs rating and
328 passing yards per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back