PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs defensive rankings to date

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weeks game against Jax will let us know more, as good as Mahones seems to be it is way too early to reserve a bust in Canton..

IMO the difference will be BB vs. Reid... after last years embarrassment my guess is the the Pats will have a very innovative game plan for the Chiefs... Overall BB is up 5 to 2 in head to head battles.

my guess is the the Pats will have a very innovative game plan for the Chiefs... Overall BB is up 5 to 2 in head to head battles.

I'm not as optimistic about innovation. I am more confident it will take away Mahomes' current trend "favorite thing" to do - whatever that is.

I'm not as optimistic about innovation. I am more confident it will take away Mahomes' current trend "favorite thing" to do - whatever that is.

Isn't taking that "favorite thing" away "innovative"??

We’re winning this game.

KC D is terrible.

NE does not lose shootouts.

BB vs Reid.

Last game (IND) / last years’ game (KC) was sloppy. Expect a well executed game.

Home Field Advantage.

Isn't taking that "favorite thing" away "innovative"??

If that is your definition - sure.

For clarity on my part, innovation would be the deployment of a coverage scheme, alignment, or personnel package never before seen. In this case, let's posit Kelce will be doubled with a CB/S bracket WITH a mandatory chip (think McGinest vs Faulk in 2001) coming off the line.

The rest of the coverage is likely a pretty standard scheme even in that instance. So a good adjustment, but really not "innovative" to me, but I'm a pretty strict word slinger. No worries if anyone else isn't - that's just me.

I think at any point in the season who you've played influences those stats. The small sample size this early in the season is implied. My point was if you're going to use stats you have to look at who those stats came against. I think because of that KC's defense isn't as bad as the stats say and their offense isn't as good. This week having to play the Jags likely their scoring averages go down on both sides of the ball.

I also think teams with histories of trending up or down play into it. The Chargers of the 2000's being a great example. The Patriots nearly always trend better. KC has had a history of trending downward. I think the Pats are catching them in a good spot this time around. As they're figuring things out and the Chiefs are coming off two big emotional and physical games vs the Broncos and Jags.
I dont think you understand what I’m saying. You are using stats, 1/4 of which were accumulate against the chiefs bad defense to rank the other offense.
Here’s an example.
You say Pittsburgh is a good scoring offense because they are 11th in the league. But in games not against KC they are 23rd. In other words they are a bad scoring offense made to look good because they faced the chiefs and lit them up.
The chargers are 9th in yards. But without the Chief game they are 22nd.
That is a lie ranked offense being ranked high solely because they rolled up almost 200 yards more than their average against the chiefs.
This impact is much larger after only 4 games than over a full season.

How does the KC defense rank against the last two the Pats played?
An argument can be made that both the Dolphins and Colts are slightly better defenses.
As an aside, I thought the Colts D played with a lot of guts given how outmatched they were.
An argument can be made both the dolphin and colts defense are A LOT better than the chiefs.

I dont think you understand what I’m saying. You are using stats, 1/4 of which were accumulate against the chiefs bad defense to rank the other offense.

I get what you're saying, now. The other part of that is those defenses won't look as bad once you take out the Chief games. You can certainly keep bringing these stats out layer by layer.

I still think once the next two games play out we'll see the Chiefs offense and defense normalize to the middle a bit. The Jags and to a lesser extent the Patriots are going to run the ball and slow the game down. Even if their defense gets shredded in the run game it will make the overall numbers look better and make their offense look worse.

I get what you're saying, now. The other part of that is those defenses won't look as bad once you take out the Chief games. You can certainly keep bringing these stats out layer by layer.

I still think once the next two games play out we'll see the Chiefs offense and defense normalize to the middle a bit. The Jags and to a lesser extent the Patriots are going to run the ball and slow the game down. Even if their defense gets shredded in the run game it will make the overall numbers look better and make their offense look worse.
Well their defense is so bad that it almost had to move toward the middle. But it really is awful so it won’t move much.

Chiefs defense stepped up in made plays vs Denver at the end. Ugly win still counts.

They just hang in there until the 4th quarter and find a way to make a big play and take advantage of opportunities. I have watched all 4 games. They gave all the QBs trouble.

It would not surprise me at all if the Pats lose this one and beat KC in the post season assuming NE gets in. The KC RPO offense is just the kind that gives NE trouble. Nobody seems to be able to get to Mahomes. He can make any throw from out of the pocket. Reid will pull out all the tricks in his playbook for this baby.

Your formulas, projections and mathematical attempt at changing reality dirs t affect the scoreboard. 5th is 5th based upon what matters. I care about winning and losing not done guys statistical opinion that something else is more important. You seem to prefer pretty stats than wins.

I prefer the facts and truth and not your Baghdad Bob analytics.

Based on points against, reality and you are not on the same planet.

KC gave up 115 points
NE gave up 108 points.

Yeah, 5th place sounds about right.

2018 NFL Standings & Team Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I dislike formulas and I don’t like projections

If that is your definition - sure.

For clarity on my part, innovation would be the deployment of a coverage scheme, alignment, or personnel package never before seen. In this case, let's posit Kelce will be doubled with a CB/S bracket WITH a mandatory chip (think McGinest vs Faulk in 2001) coming off the line.

The rest of the coverage is likely a pretty standard scheme even in that instance. So a good adjustment, but really not "innovative" to me, but I'm a pretty strict word slinger. No worries if anyone else isn't - that's just me.

No need for semantical arguments, one mans definition is another mans disbelief...

If the Pats are effective in limiting their offense it will be a blueprint for other teams to follow, as often happened in the past..

We are talking about 2017 o_O
I like that our team has the extra rest but I’m going to have a hard time containing myself for this game. KC defense is bad, kinda reminds me of the Pats last year, but probably not as bad statistically. I feel like our offense will be ready and healthy, we should put up points. I think our D can limit them some but Kelce will probably kill us because we can’t cover him. I guess I would like to see Chung cover him? Crap we probably play all the DB’s and dare them to run against us.

The patriots were the 5th ranked defense in the nfl last year.

And probably higher than that if you only count the last 12 regular season games.....

And obvious lots lower if you count the first four games or the SB......not to cherrypick.....

I prefer the facts and truth and not your Baghdad Bob analytics.

Based on points against, reality and you are not on the same planet.

KC gave up 115 points
NE gave up 108 points.

Yeah, 5th place sounds about right.

2018 NFL Standings & Team Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Lol you even posted 2017 stats from your “winning doesn’t matter, cumulative stats are what counts” site
So you clearly knew how wrong you were when you moved the goalposts to 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes