PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Change draft strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OJ, I love odd ducks but sometimes you're so outside you're in ;)

Everybody scouts and grades prospects differently, there is no one size fits all scouting.

but at the end of the day, the tape tells all. So in a few years we should be to look at this and these players and based on the tape see if the scouting predictions were reasonably accurate.

I would probably prefer to draft a qb and sign vet WR/TE, bc it's cheaper than signing a vet QB.
We need to do all 4 of the optiond you state
1) draft a QB
2) sign a WR
3) sign a TE
4) sign a veteran QB

In addition, we need an inside front 6 player or two m(or 3 or 4).
=============
Both Guy and Butler are free agents. We needed help even with them here.

1) draft a QB
2) sign a WR
3) sign a TE
4) sign a veteran QB

=============
Hopefully, the Patriots will sign a GOOD WR and a GOOD TE. This will require a substantial
investment and not the one year for minimum salary for a bunch of hasbeens and neverweres.
I doubt our talent shortage can be solved in one draft and free agency.

1) draft a QB
2) sign a WR
3) sign a TE
4) sign a veteran QB

=============
I agree with almost everything but I would resign newton as the vet qb he should be cheap and knows the system..Yeah a big run stopper is on the defense a major need. Even with butler and Guy we need a 0-tech to let them at 3-tech. Cowart can be their Backup and Allen as second NT. I wouldn't mind an Pass rush DT and Coverage ILB as well but can't fix that all in one FA probably. Since we have so man holes i am excited to see our direction in FA and draft

Yeah I think we should trade out of 1st and 2nd round and have like 8 -10 picks in round 3 . Try all 8 out of them and hope we strike gold with 3 or 4 of those. It sure looks like we miss 1st and 2nd rounders with increasing frequency. Who was the last first rounder or second rounder we struck gold with?
Hightower & Chandler Jones in 2012.

They’ll get a QB I’m sure. Work is needed on the defensive side of the ball too of course.

the parameters for drafting by the pats are changing drastically.....no longer are they looking for pieces that fit a particular QB or really specific needs........they can get down to simply drafting the best players available.....why? because they pretty much need everything

Hopefully, the Patriots will sign a GOOD WR and a GOOD TE. This will require a substantial
investment and not the one year for minimum salary for a bunch of hasbeens and neverweres.
I doubt our talent shortage can be solved in one draft and free agency.

We have lots of cap money,

1) We need a top WR who might get $10M a year during 2021 and perhaps more after that,
2) A vet QB and a 1st round QB will obviously take some cap money.
3) We need to sign some players on the inside front 6. Is it too much to ask to get 3 players or re-signs, including Butler and Guy as possibilities?

BOTTOM LINE
Of course, we need more than one year to improve our talent. But also, let be real. If we had added a Jones or a Diggs or some other top WR, we'd have been a favorite to win the division. To those who want to be sure of this argument, we should have traded for an inside DT or LB before the trading deadline.

So, we DO need a lot. However, we were only a player or two away, this year.
==============
AS AN ASIDE, some believe that we are seriously deficient we aren't one of the Super Bowl favorites every year. For you guys, I'll leave you with your dreams of the past (or suggest that you might have more fun rooting for the Bucs).

We need WR, QB, TE and have the worst OC in the league at evaluating draft talent or developing talent. Only draft dEFENSE, or OLine or RBs that Ivan fears or Scar out of retirement as consultant personally sign off on. Spending a high pick on offense skill positions is burning the pick so long as this OC is here. Go defense and supplement with trades or free agency.

We need WR, QB, TE and have the worst OC in the league at evaluating draft talent or developing talent. Only draft dEFENSE, or OLine or RBs that Ivan fears or Scar out of retirement as consultant personally sign off on. Spending a high pick on offense skill positions is burning the pick so long as this OC is here. Go defense and supplement with trades or free agency.

So, we do very well at drafting defensive players, offensive linemen and running backs. [I would add special teamers].

And that is terrible???? NOT

So, trades free agency needs to focus on receivers (WR's and TE's).
=====================
Are folks really bent out of shape because we do better at these positions, and need to find receivers by other means.

MY CONTROVERSIAL BOTTOM LINE
The failure is NOT in the draft. It is the inability to trade receivers, or sign free agent receivers.

So, we do very well at drafting defensive players, offensive linemen and running backs. [I would add special teamers].

And that is terrible???? NOT

So, trades free agency needs to focus on receivers (WR's and TE's).
=====================
Are folks really bent out of shape because we do better at these positions, and need to find receivers by other means.

MY CONTROVERSIAL BOTTOM LINE
The failure is NOT in the draft. It is the inability to trade receivers, or sign free agent receivers.

I'm not even saying we draft not well. We draft great in the big picture, 9 Superbowl trips. I'm simply saying let's be realistic and practical. Draft what we're good at. Defense, OLine, RBs. Totally banish McDaniels in a closet during draft season. Supplement QB, WR, TE via free agency if we don't decide to fire this OC and bring back O'Brien

Did Josh McDaniels have an affair with your wife? What did JM do to you so that you post 100+ times that he is a lousy coach and can not draft offensive players? You did not feel that you made your point after rewording the same post 10+ times, and thought people would believe the same "JM is a lousy coach and ruins the Pats offensive player drafts" message if you posted it 100+ times? Your other posts are reasonable, but please get over your hated of JM. Do you have a job in the Pats front office and everyone there believes that JM sucks, so you are secretly leaking? No idea what drives such hatred.

Did Josh McDaniels have an affair with your wife? What did JM do to you so that you post 100+ times that he is a lousy coach and can not draft offensive players? You did not feel that you made your point after rewording the same post 10+ times, and thought people would believe the same "JM is a lousy coach and ruins the Pats offensive player drafts" message if you posted it 100+ times? Your other posts are reasonable, but please get over your hated of JM. Do you have a job in the Pats front office and everyone there believes that JM sucks, so you are secretly leaking? No idea what drives such hatred.
Because I don't want the same league worst offense right now this season, that he ran in St Louis and Denver. He's straight garbage without Tom Brady. I care about this team and the offense is hot trash with this OC. Bring back Bill O'Brien

Because I don't want the same league worst offense right now this season, that he ran in St Louis and Denver. He's straight garbage without Tom Brady. I care about this team and the offense is hot trash with this OC. Bring back Bill O'Brien

Everyone says JM worked with the players during Super Bowl LIII to come up with a formation that led to the victory. JM only had Edelman and a crippled Gronk and he made it work. TB was obviously critical, but at the time JM was credited with the formation and in game adjustment. The idea that TB made him look better could be valid, but from TB's tweets it looks like TB loves JM and respects for his work. If TB respects him, why do you post so much negativity? If JM is a putz, I am sure TB would have not been as effusive in his support.

Everyone says JM worked with the players during Super Bowl LIII to come up with a formation that led to the victory. JM only had Edelman and a crippled Gronk and he made it work. TB was obviously critical, but at the time JM was credited with the formation and in game adjustment. The idea that TB made him look better could be valid, but from TB's tweets it looks like TB loves JM and respects for his work. If TB respects him, why do you post so much negativity? If JM is a putz, I am sure TB would have not been as effusive in his support.

You're insane. You're talking about the superbowl win where the defense gave up a superbowl record low 3 points ??? Gronk Edelman Hernandez were developed under Bill O'brien. A total 8 year desert since then with McDaniels

I have Lawrence as the best qb I have scouted since Peyton. First overall in this draft class.

I have a first round grade on fields.

I do not see a qb with a second round grade.

I have third round grades on Jones, and trask.

I have day three grades on lance, Wilson, and Purdy as well as any other qb in this draft.

ps: Howell from unc has a first overall grade for the 2022 draft from me.
Zach Wilson is a first rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes