PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

X's & O's Chalk talk: Miami @ NE

RULES FOR THIS THREAD:
1) No attacking or criticizing fellow posters, the players, or the coaching.
2) Stick to breaking down plays, not criticizing performance, execution, or messing up.
3) It's ok to identify who blew a play or assignment, but stop right there.
4) It's ok to disagree with analysis from beat writers, but not to criticize them.
5) No coulda, woulda, shoulda, or Brady woulda's.
Sorry, I whiffed on that. Illegal man downfield = a lineman or ineligible receiver going more than one yard downfield.

Henry is not doing anything illegal. He is not blocking once the ball has passed the LOS.
I thought no one is allowed to block more than 1 yard past the line of scrimmage before pass is thrown, otherwise it is called OPI.

Isn't that the same as the OPIs they often call on pick plays?

Did not get to watch much of the game last night, so I won’t contribute much to this one. I am enjoying everything I’m reading this far, though.

I thought no one is allowed to block more than 1 yard past the line of scrimmage before pass is thrown, otherwise it is called OPI.

Isn't that the same as the OPIs they often call on pick plays?

I'm no rule nerd. My understanding of things are as follows:

Linemen and ineligible receivers cannot block more than one yard downfield on pass plays.

Receivers can block anywhere as long as the ball is not in the air, has not passed the LOS, or the pass is lateral.

Hmm, you're right. Maybe i am misrembering it and would need to see some film. Though im remembering tons of times gronk would go in motion and be chopping his feet before the snap not fully set. Lateral motion is ok just no forward motion? Id have to see the way the rule is written cuz im not sure. Its a good question.

Not necessarily one second, but he does have to "reset." Otherwise it is an illegal motion.

Unless I’m missing some context here, no- this isn’t the case. You can of course snap the ball while a skill player is in motion. They only have to fully reset if multiple guys were moving. Otherwise jet motion would be illegal, etc.
You can’t be moving forward on the snap, and I think the NFL is way too loose on enforcing that. Plenty of plays I think dolphins were starting to turn upfield before the snap.

I'm no rule nerd. My understanding of things are as follows:

Linemen and ineligible receivers cannot block more than one yard downfield on pass plays.

Receivers can block anywhere as long as the ball is not in the air, has not passed the LOS, or the pass is lateral.
I don’t think that second part is correct. Receivers cannot block downfield on pass plays. Illegal pick plays are still illegal even if the ball hasn’t been thrown yet.
That would open quite a crazy element if they could block downfield. Imagine if you could get a receiver open by just having another receiver come in and level his man at the top of his route? Defense would be pretty much impossible.

Hugely important improvement.

The offense has actually been worse moving the ball in terms of per-play efficiency. But the redzone success has a massive impact on overall offensive output

I don’t think that second part is correct. Receivers cannot block downfield on pass plays. Illegal pick plays are still illegal even if the ball hasn’t been thrown yet.
That would open quite a crazy element if they could block downfield. Imagine if you could get a receiver open by just having another receiver come in and level his man at the top of his route? Defense would be pretty much impossible.

All these things would fall under OPI.

All these things would fall under OPI.
Yeah, that is what I was saying. You cannot block downfield on a pass play before the ball is caught, regardless of your position.

The Special Teams haters here would rather have a 7th string WR who never plays than a Schooler on the team.
Just wait until he tries that again and they change the snap count. You’ll see more of those people than ever before.

Yeah, that is what I was saying. You cannot block downfield on a pass play before the ball is caught, regardless of your position.

Yes you can, otherwise there would be no screens. Pick plays would fall under OPI.

I think the refs chose not to call anything because they wisely recognized that it was a broken play, and HH adjusted as soon as he saw.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back