PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS QB rankings- Mac Jones dissed

I have no issues with saying the list is bad, I disagree with a whole lot there. I just don't think it's unfeasible for rookies to be placed above certain starters.
Fair. I also think there's probably not a lot of use for a list like this until at least after preseason when we've seen some of them on the field with their new teams or in the Patriots case new offense...

Mac did not suck in year 2?

This is fantastic news from you.
LOL no Mac indeed sucked last year but your hypothesis that "Lots of rookie QBs look great in year 1 of the NFL because defenses have no film on them other than college" also sucks.

Fair. I also think there's probably not a lot of use for a list like this until at least after preseason when we've seen some of them on the field with their new teams or in the Patriots case new offense...
...and as we saw in 2021 we might need to wait to (at least) 2024 to evaluate this year's QB class. To paraphrase Triumph, "lots of first year QB's in the NFL suck because it takes time to adjust to the pro game."

From a national perspective, a lot of people are discounting how much Patricia and Judge screwed up this offense.
Don’t you mean Belichick? He’s the one who put them there.

And he’s the guy who screwed over the offense in the draft this year. Last year we were the second oldest offense and ranked 17 in the league in scoring.

Last year the defense was ranked better, #11, and was much younger.

Bill O’Brien will have to work miracles and hope Boutte explodes onto the scene and a third down back in the mold of James White is found.

Oddly, I have hope. But Belichick really hates Mac Jones for what he did last year reaching outside the dysfunctional offensive organization.

Sure. It's just there's really nothing to talk about right now and this type of content is good discussion fodder. Obviously the odds of us looking back at this list in February, 2024 and finding it laughable are huge.

Oddly, I have hope. But Belichick really hates Mac Jones for what he did last year reaching outside the dysfunctional offensive organization.
Liar. You have no idea what BB's feelings on Mac Jones are.

The usual suspects saying the ranking is garbage because Mac is so low on the list. If he was listed in the top 10 then you'd be saying it's proof Mac is a franchise QB.

idiotic blabbering "sports writer" ranking....we'll know where Mac ranks AFTER this season is done
It's a post-draft pre-season ranking so it's done now and not after the 2023 season. There will be another list after the 2023 season and you probably won't like that either. You also claim an aversion to rankings so you don't have to admit Mac would be low on your list too. I mean you say you'll "know" where Mac ranks after the 2023 season. How is it then that you don't know where he ranks after the 2022 season?

Here's my post-draft pre-season rankings:

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Joe Burrow
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Justin Herbert
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Tua Tagovailoa
9. Trevor Lawrence
10. Deshaun Watson
11. Geno Smith
12. Justin Fields
13. Kirk Cousins
14. Jared Goff
15. Dak Prescott
16. Daniel Jones
17. Kyler Murray
18. Russell Wilson
19. Derek Carr
20. Jimmy Garoppolo
21. Matthew Stafford
22. Brock Purdy
23. Kenny Pickett
24. Ryan Tannehill
25. Mac Jones
26. Jordan Love
27. Anthony Richardson
28. Bryce Young
29. CJ Stroud
30. Baker Mayfield
31. Desmond Ridder
32. Sam Howell

The usual suspects saying the ranking is garbage because Mac is so low on the list. If he was listed in the top 10 then you'd be saying it's proof Mac is a franchise QB.

It's a post-draft pre-season ranking so it's done now and not after the 2023 season. There will be another list after the 2023 season and you probably won't like that either. You also claim an aversion to rankings so you don't have to admit Mac would be low on your list too. I mean you say you'll "know" where Mac ranks after the 2023 season. How is it then that you don't know where he ranks after the 2022 season?

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Joe Burrow
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Justin Herbert
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Tua Tagovailoa
9. Trevor Lawrence
10. Deshaun Watson
11. Geno Smith
12. Justin Fields
13. Kirk Cousins
14. Jared Goff
15. Dak Prescott
16. Daniel Jones
17. Kyler Murray
18. Russell Wilson
19. Derek Carr
20. Jimmy Garoppolo
21. Matthew Stafford
22. Brock Purdy
23. Kenny Pickett
24. Ryan Tannehill
25. Mac Jones
26. Jordan Love
27. Anthony Richardson
28. Bryce Young
29. CJ Stroud
30. Baker Mayfield
31. Desmond Ridder
32. Sam Howell

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Joe Burrow
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Justin Herbert
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Tua Tagovailoa
9. Trevor Lawrence
10. Deshaun Watson
11. Geno Smith
12. Justin Fields
13. Kirk Cousins
14. Jared Goff
15. Dak Prescott
16. Daniel Jones
17. Kyler Murray
18. Russell Wilson
19. Derek Carr
20. Jimmy Garoppolo
21. Matthew Stafford
22. Brock Purdy
23. Kenny Pickett
24. Ryan Tannehill
25. Mac Jones
26. Jordan Love
27. Anthony Richardson
28. Bryce Young
29. CJ Stroud
30. Baker Mayfield
31. Desmond Ridder
32. Sam Howell
Great list!! My only change would be Jackson ahead of burrow... just me..

OK, let's do it somewhat backwards. How many of these QB's would Belichick, BIB, and Klemm prefer for the 2023 season, for the 2023-2025 seasons? Beyond that, if Jones works out he'll get a huge contract.

So, who would Belichick trade for, player for player?

So, who would Belichick trade for, player for player?
I don't know what BB would do but I would trade Mac straight up for all of these QBs:

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Joe Burrow
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Justin Herbert
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Trevor Lawrence
9. Deshaun Watson
10. Justin Fields
11. Jared Goff
12. Dak Prescott
13. Daniel Jones
14. Kyler Murray
15. Russell Wilson
16. Derek Carr
17. Brock Purdy
18. Kenny Pickett
19. Anthony Richardson
20. Bryce Young
21. CJ Stroud

Here's the list of QBs I wouldn't trade Mac for:

1. Tua Tagovailoa (only because of the concussions)
2. Geno Smith (1 excellent season isn't wiping out the previous 9 years just yet)
3. Kirk Cousins (he's going to be 35 next season and I don't think he'd do much better than Mac with our offensive personnel)
4. Jimmy Garoppolo (can't ignore the injuries)
5. Matthew Stafford (age and health are a concern)
6. Ryan Tannehill (see Cousins comment)
7. Jordan Love (he'll probably change my mind by October)
8. Baker Mayfield (look like a backup at this point)
9. Desmond Ridder (does nothing for me)
10. Sam Howell (only if I really wanted to tank)

the list is very laughable mac is better then alot of qb s that are ranked ahead of him,... this is all about click bait material

I don't know what BB would do but I would trade Mac straight up for all of these QBs:

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Joe Burrow
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Justin Herbert
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Trevor Lawrence
9. Deshaun Watson
10. Justin Fields
11. Jared Goff
12. Dak Prescott
13. Daniel Jones
14. Kyler Murray
15. Russell Wilson
16. Derek Carr
17. Brock Purdy
18. Kenny Pickett
19. Anthony Richardson
20. Bryce Young
21. CJ Stroud

2. Geno Smith (1 excellent season isn't wiping out the previous 9 years just yet)
3. Kirk Cousins (he's going to be 35 next season and I don't think he'd do much better than Mac with our offensive personnel)
You'd be happy to trade Mac for a 6th round pick and a tattooed kicker.

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Joe Burrow
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Justin Herbert
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Tua Tagovailoa
9. Trevor Lawrence
10. Deshaun Watson
11. Geno Smith
12. Justin Fields
13. Kirk Cousins
14. Jared Goff
15. Dak Prescott
16. Daniel Jones
17. Kyler Murray
18. Russell Wilson
19. Derek Carr
20. Jimmy Garoppolo
21. Matthew Stafford
22. Brock Purdy
23. Kenny Pickett
24. Ryan Tannehill
25. Mac Jones
26. Jordan Love
27. Anthony Richardson
28. Bryce Young
29. CJ Stroud
30. Baker Mayfield
31. Desmond Ridder
32. Sam Howell
Hilarious to have Tua at 8th and Mac at 25th given that an almost perfect A/B comparison at Alabama showed Mac to be at least as good with the same weapons.

Granted, I think Tua sans concussions was a good QB last year.

In 2017 Carson Wentz was front runner in Vegas to win the MVP award, he got hurt and Nick Foles took over the guided an exceptionally talented team the rest of the way to an NFL Championship. In 2023 they're both unemployed.

Matt Stafford who was considered damaged goods, played great last season because his offensive line was amazing, he had very good weapons and a defense that couldn't stop anybody... so they had to pass to score.

Mac Jones was #2 in rookie of the year voting in 2021 with McDaniels and had the crowd screaming for Zappe in 2022 with Patricia.

The team surrounding these QB's will have as much or more to do with their individual success or failure than skill... and these QB popularity contest lists will change week to week.

In short... lists are dumb.

Last edited:
Hilarious to have Tua at 8th and Mac at 25th given that an almost perfect A/B comparison at Alabama showed Mac to be at least as good with the same weapons.

When asked who was better, all the Alabama receivers who played with both said Mac... now they're miles apart apparently.

When asked who was better, all the Alabama receivers who played with both said Mac... now they're miles apart apparently.
It was Waddle who said that. To be fair after he joined the Dolphins he walked that back by saying he was throwing Mac a bone because he wanted to help him maximize his draft position and Tua was already in the NFL. Of course he had to say something clever like that given that Tua is his QB again.

Good? Tua had the best passer rating in the NFL. He was an MVP candidate until he sustained his 2nd, or 3rd, or whatever number it is was concussion against Green Bay. Mac was not good last season at all. The college numbers don't really matter at this point. What does matter though is supporting cast. Tyreek and Waddle blow away any Patriots duo (I guess the best being JuJu and Parker).

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Joe Burrow
4. Lamar Jackson
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Justin Herbert
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Trevor Lawrence
9. Deshaun Watson
10. Justin Fields
11. Jared Goff
12. Dak Prescott
13. Daniel Jones
14. Kyler Murray
15. Russell Wilson
16. Derek Carr
17. Brock Purdy
18. Kenny Pickett
19. Anthony Richardson
20. Bryce Young
21. CJ Stroud

Let's just say ... thank God you're nothing more than some guy spending a little too much time on the Internet.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back