PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carson Palmer Retires

They would have won if Damon huard went in instead, probably by more.

Because you are a far better talent evaluator than Belichick, who decided to go with Bledsoe instead of Huard ?

Because you are a far better talent evaluator than Belichick, who decided to go with Bledsoe instead of Huard ?
No because I have hindsight after seeing how Bledsoe played.

No because I have hindsight after seeing how Bledsoe played.

Hindsight would mean you would also know how Huard would have performed. Since he didn't start another game until 2006, no way we know how he would have played in the 2001 AFC Championship. I will defer to Belichick on this one, who saw all of Brady, Bledsoe and Huard reps in 2001.

Hindsight would mean you would also know how Huard would have performed. Since he didn't start another game until 2006, no way we know how he would have played in the 2001 AFC Championship. I will defer to Belichick on this one, who saw all of Brady, Bledsoe and Huard reps in 2001.
The bar is very low. Bledsoe was awful. Pretty much any competent QB plays better than he did that day 90% of the time.

So you are saying that belichick not only has never been wrong but he has never played a player in any game who played worse than the guy behind him would have?
I will disagree with you there and bet everything I have that B.B. himself would too.

Do you thoroughly go out of your way to search for posts to disagree upon? Just curious
No I don’t.

And where did I disagree?

The bar is very low. Bledsoe was awful. Pretty much any competent QB plays better than he did that day 90% of the time.

So you are saying that belichick not only has never been wrong but he has never played a player in any game who played worse than the guy behind him would have?
I will disagree with you there and bet everything I have that B.B. himself would too.

Not what I said at all. Belichick always do what's best for the football team, and on that day, what he thought was best for the team was having Bledsoe as the number 2. Huard would have been number 2 if he had shown he was better than Bledsoe was at the time.

Let's also remember that Belichick decided to play Bledsoe in the 2nd half over Brady (postgame, Belichick said Brady could have gone back in the game). It's easy to rew-rite the Patriots history in hindsight, but at the time Brady wasn't Terrific Tom yet, and Bledsoe wasn't the below average QB some fans have made him out to be.

No I don’t.

And where did I disagree?
Always being a contrarian and stating those things as if they are fact. You have certain opinions on some subjects that flat out puzzle me, because they’ll often be over subjects that are relatively meaningless.
Both were thoroughly mediocre.
Bledsoe mediocre? Either you use the term mediocre too loosely or you’ve set your bar way too high by comparing him to Brady. Come on now. The guy was a big part of turning around this franchise.

Not what I said at all. Belichick always do what's best for the football team, and on that day, what he thought was best for the team was having Bledsoe as the number 2. Huard would have been number 2 if he had shown he was better than Bledsoe was at the time.
How does that have anything to do with what I said?
Someone said we don’t win that Sb without Bledsoe. I said if Bledsoe wasn’t there, we would have won with huard. It’s not even a controversial comment since Bledsoe played so poorly.

Let's also remember that Belichick decided to play Bledsoe in the 2nd half over Brady (postgame, Belichick said Brady could have gone back in the game). It's easy to rew-rite the Patriots history in hindsight, but at the time Brady wasn't Terrific Tom yet, and Bledsoe wasn't the below average QB some fans have made him out to be.
Bledsoe played awful that day. If you really think belichick chose to play Bledsoe instead of Brady then I understand why this simple concept has created such a stir with you, and I will walk away from the discussion. Have a good night.

Always being a contrarian and stating those things as if they are fact. You have certain opinions on some subjects that flat out puzzle me, because they’ll often be over subjects that are relatively meaningless.
How exactly did I say my opinion was fact?
I think you analyzing my posting history is what is meaningless.

Bledsoe mediocre? Either you use the term mediocre too loosely or you’ve set your bar way too high by comparing him to Brady. Come on now. The guy was a big part of turning around this franchise.
The franchise turned around after Bledsoe went to the bench. He was pretty much a .500 QBs who won with a loaded set of weapons and a good defense and lost when the talent around him was average. That’s a mediocre QB to me. Feel free to assess him however you wish.

How exactly did I say my opinion was fact?
I think you analyzing my posting history is what is meaningless.

The franchise turned around after Bledsoe went to the bench. He was pretty much a .500 QBs who won with a loaded set of weapons and a good defense and lost when the talent around him was average. That’s a mediocre QB to me. Feel free to assess him however you wish.
Medicocre to me is defined as below average. I just find it a little mind boggling to say he was a below average starting QB at the time he played.

Medicocre to me is defined as below average. I just find it a little mind boggling to say he was a below average starting QB at the time he played.
I consider mediocre synonymous with average so maybe that’s the difference in our views.

I consider mediocre synonymous with average so maybe that’s the difference in our views.
Mediocre is a word with negative connotations to it, so I’d always consider it below average before average or anything above.

Even if you say average I’d have to disagree. Remember some of the QB’s that bounced around the league back in the 90’s. He was better than a whole lot of them.

Mediocre is a word with negative connotations to it, so I’d always consider it below average before average or anything above.
Well if you misuse it it had a negative connotation but used properly it is neither positive or negative just very ordinary.

Even if you say average I’d have to disagree. Remember some of the QB’s that bounced around the league back in the 90’s. He was better than a whole lot of them.
And about half the QBs were better than him.
Statistically he accumulated an above average amount of stats. But in terms of the quality of the stats he accumulated (ie comp %, length of throw, accuracy, decision making, into) he was very average. He was also a statue.
Sure he was better than what we had before him but every wayvyiu slice it (other than yards accumulated) he was very average.

Well if you misuse it it had a negative connotation but used properly it is neither positive or negative just very ordinary.

And about half the QBs were better than him.
Statistically he accumulated an above average amount of stats. But in terms of the quality of the stats he accumulated (ie comp %, length of throw, accuracy, decision making, into) he was very average. He was also a statue.
Sure he was better than what we had before him but every wayvyiu slice it (other than yards accumulated) he was very average.
You could name the obvious HOF guys back in the 90’s-Favre, Young, Aikman, Marino, Kelly, Moon- ahead of Bledsoe. But I would say he was among the next best after them. That’s being around 6th-8th, much above average.

Unless you think Jeff George, Stan Humphries and Scott Mitchell were better?

You could name the obvious HOF guys back in the 90’s-Favre, Young, Aikman, Marino, Kelly, Moon- ahead of Bledsoe. But I would say he was among the next best after them. That’s being around 6th-8th, much above average.

Lets do this. Since different QBs were around early in his career than late in his career I will pick a random year and look at the QBs that started. I’m not talking about who was better that year but who was a better QBs when they started and longevity shouldn’t really matter.

So here goes.
Better than Bledsoe
Favre
Moon
Aikman
Manning
Marino
Young
McNair
Elway
Brunell

Debatable
Cunningham
Trstaverde
Trent green
Gannon

That’s 14 right there meaning he was clearly ahead of 15, and I didn’t include the guy who may have been the best QB in the nfl that year, Chris chandler because his whole career doesn’t support it but chandler 1998 was better than any Bledsoe season.

Lets do this. Since different QBs were around early in his career than late in his career I will pick a random year and look at the QBs that started. I’m not talking about who was better that year but who was a better QBs when they started and longevity shouldn’t really matter.

So here goes.
Better than Bledsoe
Favre
Moon
Aikman
Manning
Marino
Young
McNair
Elway
Brunell

Debatable
Cunningham
Trstaverde
Trent green
Gannon

That’s 14 right there meaning he was clearly ahead of 15, and I didn’t include the guy who may have been the best QB in the nfl that year, Chris chandler because his whole career doesn’t support it but chandler 1998 was better than any Bledsoe season.
You used 98, the year Bledsoe got hurt late in the season, and Cunningham and Chandler and Testaverde had random breakout seasons? Come on now. That was not picking a random year.

(Also side note: McNair, Gannon, Brunell, Green, and rookie year Peyton weren’t better than Bledsoe at that point in their careers either. So you’re really reaching with several that year.)

So, by that logic I could use the year 1996 randomly. Here it goes:

Favre
Elway
Then Bledsoe.

Bledsoe was the 3rd best QB that year. Was he the overall third best QB in football? No. Basically it is all pretty much cumulative, you can’t just pick random years.

Here is another way to look at it.
During Bledsoe’s career 93-06 there were 30 nfl QBs who threw a total of 1500 or more passes. (Essentially one per team)Using only their numbers during those years out of the 30, Bledsoe ranks:
23 in win %
23 in completion %
21 in QBs rating
19 in ypa

5th in attempts, 12th in TD passes, 6th in Ints 1st in sacks

I don’t know how that can be better than average.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back