PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardinals place Franchise tag on Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to pay him 15 for one year you ought to pay him 55 for 4.

Well i think he's gone if he's asking for that. Idk. They will sacrifice that one year to see if they can come up with a deal.

Well i think he's gone if he's asking for that. Idk. They will sacrifice that one year to see if they can come up with a deal.

I think he's back. It's not just being the highest paid but the guaranteed money. Collins got 26 million. Another thing is that Hightower may get the "highest paid" contract but he won't be the highest paid in 4 years. I think his value to the team is that high.

Anyways we'll see. You never know.

My fear is that the Patriots give Hightower the transition tag to have a lower floor
(11 million) to start the bargaining. He will receive an offer exceeding this amount
5 minutes after legal tampering begins and the Patriots will drop out with no further
offers and no compensation. They have no intention of paying the market rate for any of their free agents. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to hear whether any serious negotiations are taking place with any of their free agents.

I think he's back. It's not just being the highest paid but the guaranteed money. Collins got 26 million. Another thing is that Hightower may get the "highest paid" contract but he won't be the highest paid in 4 years. I think his value to the team is that high.

Anyways we'll see. You never know.

I think 12.5's good money. 28 guaranteed.

People laughed at me when I said that he would get a top pass rusher contract and would get at least $40 million guaranteed. Not Von Miller money, but I think he will not all that far off from it either.

You would pay him 50 mill for 4 years and 15 for one and done but done 55 for 4?
Why?

People laughed at me when I said that he would get a top pass rusher contract and would get at least $40 million guaranteed. Not Von Miller money, but I think he will not all that far off from it either.

I think people were laughing at the notion that Jones was worth top pass rusher money. Figured he would get it. Especially after the Giants severely overpaid Olivier Vernon

Some desperate gm will do that. More power to hightower. Now we can see why bill's the best although he has had his mistakes as well.

You would pay him 50 mill for 4 years and 15 for one and done but done 55 for 4?
Why?

We talking about the pats here lol. They have a limit. We will see. I wish everyone thought like bill but you see idiot gms overpay for players that ain't worth that type of money. That's why you see all this craziness of money going around. I heard kenny stills's looking for 12 million lol.

Leveon Bell was tagged today as well and Brown extended, 4 years 68 Million

Leveon Bell was tagged today as well and Brown extended, 4 years 68 Million

Wow, 17m a year to a wide receiver. And one who openly defied his coach. Curious as to how the contract splits out.

I just don't feel that bill shouldn't be influence by some idiot gm that overpaid collins. Bill won't overpay. I would hate to lose hightower but i think he will be tagged even if it mean's playing for 15 in one year. I can see them drafting a LB as well for a possible replacement for him.
I was looking at the Patriots cap situation for 2017 by player. It just seems to me that Belichick does not want to pay very many players such large numbers (only 3 Patriots have a cap hit over 10Mil and one is rediculously low Brady at 14mill.)

What it means as a Pats fan is we should not get too attached to players, even when great. The Patriots love to keep players on their rookie contracts, and draft replacements, or find other teams cast aways, get bargains, build depth.

As good as Hightower is I think it is possible that Belichick looks at an 11 or 12 million dollar number and he just sits there thinking I can get a Van Nuy, someone else's Chung, a Deon Lewis, and some rookie (like James White) or something with all that money. And he builds his team this way. He makes exceptions, like McCourty. But I mean Chandler Jones, Collins, and I wonder if Hightower is next. I actually do not think he will be franchised because blows up this whole theory.

Even look at the "stars" on our team and all like several million cheaper than comparisons around the league. (Edleman, Amedola (though he is probably overpaid now, Gronk... all come in around 4 to 7 million. Other teams pay more.

Then every one else is either cheap basically 500K to 3 Million range, or stars on the rookie contract, (James White) I mean Belichick drafter James White and the when we won SB 49, and Vreen left I remember people having some consternation. But look how that worked out.

I actually am starting to think Hightower is gone. And I like him so it bums me out.

We talking about the pats here lol. They have a limit. We will see. I wish everyone thought like bill but you see idiot gms overpay for players that ain't worth that type of money. That's why you see all this craziness of money going around. I heard kenny stills's looking for 12 million lol.
I'm glad no one else is like belichick. It creates an additional advantage

I was looking at the Patriots cap situation for 2017 by player. It just seems to me that Belichick does not want to pay very many players such large numbers (only 3 Patriots have a cap hit over 10Mil and one is rediculously low Brady at 14mill.)

What it means as a Pats fan is we should not get too attached to players, even when great. The Patriots love to keep players on their rookie contracts, and draft replacements, or find other teams cast aways, get bargains, build depth.

As good as Hightower is I think it is possible that Belichick looks at an 11 or 12 million dollar number and he just sits there thinking I can get a Van Nuy, someone else's Chung, a Deon Lewis, and some rookie (like James White) or something with all that money. And he builds his team this way. He makes exceptions, like McCourty. But I mean Chandler Jones, Collins, and I wonder if Hightower is next. I actually do not think he will be franchised because blows up this whole theory.

Even look at the "stars" on our team and all like several million cheaper than comparisons around the league. (Edleman, Amedola (though he is probably overpaid now, Gronk... all come in around 4 to 7 million. Other teams pay more.

Then every one else is either cheap basically 500K to 3 Million range, or stars on the rookie contract, (James White) I mean Belichick drafter James White and the when we won SB 49, and Vreen left I remember people having some consternation. But look how that worked out.

I actually am starting to think Hightower is gone. And I like him so it bums me out.

My only concern's starting to plug in new players in very key positions on defense. Losing alot of guys on that defense like ryan and hightower. I never envision losing both. Also i look at the schedule. Facing alot of passing teams next season.

The franchise tag was "placed" on Jones? I thought the franchise tag was "slapped" on players. Or is that only when certain teams do it?
Bill has never been slaphappy.

Hightower makes so many big plays. On the other hand he's not a guy you'd scheme against like a game wrecker. Maybe something biggish first year or two with the ability to cut realistically after year two.

Hightower makes so many big plays. On the other hand he's not a guy you'd scheme against like a game wrecker. Maybe something biggish first year or two with the ability to cut realistically after year two.
it's kind of like, the Pats managed to win 2 Super Bowls while Hightower was on his rookie deal, making a key contribution obviously. Collins and Jones were also very good players who won one SB with the team and neither got off their rookie deal. Hightower was a later first round. It may just be the way BB wants to do it. He did sign McCourty though for like 10mil cap number. I don't know what is going to happen but franchise seems to rich even for one year, but at the same time, next year is a major window opportunity year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST