PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we stop with this "Choking" nonsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is silly are ignoramuses who think that every one who thinks his home team is good is a homer. Those folks are called fans, FYI. They favor their home team.

People who do not favor one team over another, who look unbiasedly at all teams equally, are called analysts or even "fans of the game."

Homers are people who always believe that home team is the best team. It is not necessarily a bad thing. The difference between a homer and a staunch fan is pretty hard to define.

But no, thinking Manning choked does not make one a homer. Felger said Manning had the choke job of the century, and it's pretty hard to call Felger a homer.

What is even sillier is that a person who doesn't know what it means to choke in a sports contest is spouting off like he's Phillip Rivers.

Did I hit a nerve? I am a Pats fan genius, and obviously I think the Pats are the best team ever, and that Brady is better than Manning. I think that BB did not cheat and that the media has screwed the Pats on numerous occasions with all the "running up the score" and "spygate" garbage. I think the Colts get all the calls.

Does that mean I have to engage in idiotic groupthink? No. Your trying to to pull this loyalty crap because I think for myself instead of just mindlessly bashing everything is almost as stupid as Deus posting a definition he apparantly didn't (can't?) read properly. Almost....

I have the audacity to stray outside of what the mob on this site says and you and Deus go bananas Ad Hominem and act like I just posted a thread about banging your sisters or something. Grow up.

I don't want to bother reading 3 pages. I just want to agree with the premise of this post. The word "choke" is heavily overused in sports.

If Manning choked this past weekend, what do we call the Yankees in 2004? Monumental choke? It lessens other instances of choking when you group them all together.

I only read a bit of this thread, but I agree with my nemesis Wildo.

Manning played a pretty good game. both INT's came off of tipped passes that hit receivers hands...these weren't his fault. Marvin fumbling in that key spot wasn't Mannings fault. if they get points in those spots instead of TO's, this conversation never happens.

if you are looking for someone to blame, blame the Colts D Line who got completely dominated in the 4th quarter...or blame the guys who couldnt catch the balls

Last edited:
Im not going to get into a flame war with you guys, just going to have a civil conversation, you have the right to your opinion, but I felt that Manning was actually our only bright spot today, the running game sucked defense sucked. one of those picks the idiot running back should have caught and he would have scored a TD, thats hardly Mannings fault. The Colts choked as a team today but Manning is hardly at fault..

Legendary quarterbacks are cast during crucial points of a game. This is what Manning fans fail to grasp. He is generally lacking during these crucial points. AND he should have had one or two more interceptions in Sunday's game (I recall one where he threw right into the hands of the defender who dropped it).

To me Manning had several opportunities in a very slow paced game to put more points on the board and failed to do so. They put the ball in Manning's hands instead of kicking field goals.

He choked.

Manning was never against the clock like Brady. Brady made a bad throw, but one play is hardly choking especially considering the circumstances of the throw. You could see Manning dancing, losing his composure, trying to for the ball into tight spots on well covered receivers, trying to throw over LB's/DL's and getting the ball tipped. Remember Brady strafing to the side to squeeze the ball to Welker on the statue of liberty play? Manning has a reputation of choking, and thats what he Sunday.

You also have to keep in mind Manning is touted as the best QB in football by many. The Colts give him a huge chunk of cap to make these plays. They could just get someone for half the price to falter when it counts and get a star cornerback in his stead.

I only read a bit of this thread, but I agree with my nemesis Wildo.

Manning played a pretty good game. both INT's came off of tipped passes that hit receivers hands...these weren't his fault. Marvin fumbling in that key spot wasn't Mannings fault. if they get points in those spots instead of TO's, this conversation never happens.

IMO Peyton is an excellent QB and he played 55 good minutes. But in the playoffs, at home, indoors, down by 4 points, he had first and goal and came away empty on four tries. Then, his defense gave him A SECOND opportunity with enough time to pull it out, and he came up empty again. IMO, some players embrace the big moments; others falter. Peyton's big game record is unremarkable and speaks for itself. To his credit, he came up big against us in last year's AFCC, but thus far in his career, that has been the exception rather than the rule for this QB.

IMO Peyton is an excellent QB and he played 55 good minutes. But in the playoffs, at home, indoors, down by 4 points, he had first and goal and came away empty on four tries. Then, his defense gave him A SECOND opportunity with enough time to pull it out, and he came up empty again. IMO, some players embrace the big moments; others falter. Peyton's big game record is unremarkable and speaks for itself. To his credit, he came up big against us in last year's AFCC, but thus far in his career, that has been the exception rather than the rule for this QB.

To be fair to Manning, he only made 3 pass attempts during the "and goal" possession. There was also a run attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back