PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can We Settle Down Regarding The Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll definitely be top 10 in points allowed. I just meant as an overall unit. Not statistically, since we know how those numbers can be skewed and/or mis represented.
Agreed. As I posted the numbers for the entire league in the Bills defense thread, over the last 6 games, only jax has allowed less points (67) than the Pats (75).

Not disagreeing with you completely but a couple of things to keep in mind.

Carr has the fastest time to throw time in the league at 2.33. Hard to get pressure on him.

The Pats don't get a lot of sacks but they do force the QB to throw with pressure.

Some screenshots from the game yesterday.

View attachment 18666

View attachment 18667

View attachment 18668
Yeah they did get close a couple or so times. Its too bad that Tre Flowers doesn't have somebody else with him up front that is equivalent in abilities; or that Kony Ealy, for some unknown reason, just had to be shipped out of town before the season even began; or that Cassius Marsh is so obviously useless, at the cost of a 5th-round pick; or that a mid-level UFA like Alex Okafor or Dwight Freeney wasn't signed to help replace vets Sheard, Long & Ninkovich; or that Derek Rivers was too fragile to survive his first NFL training camp.

Last edited:
Still not quite as good as I expected them to be prior to the season, but they've come much further than I thought was reasonable to hope for. I still have concerns here and there, but Bill's defenses are rarely as eye-popping as the scoreboard would indicate.

Yeah they did get close a couple or so times. Its too bad that Tre Flowers doesn't have somebody else with him up front that is equivalent in abilities; or that Kony Ealy, for some unknown reason, just had to be shipped out of town before the season even began; or that Cassius Marsh is so obviously useless, at the cost of a 5th-round pick; or that a mid-level UFA like Alex Okafor wasn't signed to help replace vets Sheard, Long & Ninkovich; or that Derek Rivers was too fragile to survive his first NFL training camp.

Well getting M. Brown back will help. I've been hoping that they would get back VV from the IR but it looks like MM is the one coming back.

Anyways the Raiders have one of the better O lines in the league and the Pats got enough pressure on him to win the game. Get Brown back and it would have been a better run D.

I like what I have seen from the D the past 6 games but they are still not where I think they need to be. The team they have now is certainly good enough to win the AFC. The superbowl is another matter. I think they might be able to win that game too but it's a toss up as it stands now.

There is no offense in the AFC that will be able to really test this D till that game IMO. I doubt they give up more than 21 defensive points the rest of the regular season and the AFC playoffs. When they get to the superbowl they will face the best offense they have since early in the year.

Hopefully Brown comes back and really helps make that run D better even with only 6 or 5 true front players. The DBs have improved and need to continue to do so and hopefully Harris and Roberts can play worthy roles opposite Van Noy.

The good news is the offense is really making things easy on the defense. They just don't tend to commit turnovers and score which puts the D in a good spot.

I like what I have seen from the D the past 6 games but they are still not where I think they need to be. The team they have now is certainly good enough to win the AFC. The superbowl is another matter. I think they might be able to win that game too but it's a toss up as it stands now.

There is no offense in the AFC that will be able to really test this D till that game IMO. I doubt they give up more than 21 defensive points the rest of the regular season and the AFC playoffs. When they get to the superbowl they will face the best offense they have since early in the year.

Hopefully Brown comes back and really helps make that run D better even with only 6 or 5 true front players. The DBs have improved and need to continue to do so and hopefully Harris and Roberts can play worthy roles opposite Van Noy.

The good news is the offense is really making things easy on the defense. They just don't tend to commit turnovers and score which puts the D in a good spot.
They will likely have a bad game but holding any team at 17 or under Week in and week out translates to bring a good defense against anyone.

Still not quite as good as I expected them to be prior to the season, but they've come much further than I thought was reasonable to hope for. I still have concerns here and there, but Bill's defenses are rarely as eye-popping as the scoreboard would indicate.

I was interested to see this post. Reasonable analysis and the acknowledgement they were better than their early season troubles indicated. I’ll take that every time over the 365 nut grabbing endemic to this board.

****sburg, in ****sberg, will give this defense all it can handle - and then some.

Anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves.

****sburg, in ****sberg, will give this defense all it can handle - and then some.

Do you think Pitt will put up 30+?

I hate to say this, for superstitious reasons... but guys, we don't know who will/will not be healthy to play Pixburgh

This defense will give Pittsburgh all it can handle, and more.
Anyone who doesn’t believe that is delusional.

I hear this year in and year out. How will the Pats stop the Pittsburgh offense?

Every time Pittsburgh either craps the bed entirely, or doesn't put up nearly enough points with Brady blowing them out of the water.

LeVeon Bell is the only player I'd legitimately worry about because our run D up front is the weak link. But still the Pats typically find a way to limit him.

The secondary will hold just fine against Roethlisberger and Brown.

And Brady will crush them so really the defense just has to play half as well as it has the past several weeks and it should be a win.

This defense will give Pittsburgh all it can handle, and more.
Anyone who doesn’t believe that is delusional.
Paired with the fact that Tomlin and the Steelers D historically have no answer for Brady I think the Pats might just be OK. Folks seem to want to complain about BB's failures for some reason. Be it draft picks or trades. I don't get it. This team gets to an AFCCG every year yet people freak out about week 2 games it seems. Calm down and tighten the lugnut on your wagon wheel. It'll be nice and tight by the playoffs I assure you.

Do you think Pitt will put up 30+?

Taking a look at the Patriot D from a 2017 statistical picture, why would anyone think the Steelers can't score 30?
Below is the Patriots D statistical rankings followed by the critically important yet continually depressing graphs.

32 in pass yards per game
32 in yards allowed per possession.
32 rush yards per attempt
27 in accumulated sacks
27 in net yards per pass completion
25 rushing yards allowed
25 Passing TDs allowed
20 in TD % allowed
20 in completion% allowed
16 3rd down conversion%
16 average points per opposition possesion

upload_2017-11-25_0-5-33.png
upload_2017-11-25_0-6-32.png
upload_2017-11-25_0-7-24.png

Since the Tampa bay game, we appear to Have solved some of our issues on defense by switching to pure man coverage.

We switched partially because it appears Gilmore is too stupid to learn zone coverage and also because we have yet another udfa stepping up and contributing big time - J. Jones. His contribution to the improvement of this defense can not be overlooked.

If we can fix the run defense (m brown’s return would help) and generate more pass rush, we should have a very strong defense, if injuries don’t get us, for the rest of the year,

hey, there's a game this week with MIAMI. The Pats D needs to perform in THIS game. Pittsburgh has nothing to do with anything. Why does anyone need to point out all the variables that do and could exist by the time the Timidlins roll around?

OK...here's my Nostradumbass prediction....IF Brady is healthy we have a better than 50/50 chance of winning. That's as far out on this cracked limb as I'm willing to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back