PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can We Settle Down Regarding The Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense held the Jets' offense on the following nine possessions to:

Punt, punt, punt, interception, halftime, interception, fumble, field goal, ball over on downs.

Given the offense they were facing, that isn't that impressive a stretch. Even more so when you consider that the "fumble" drive was a nanometer from being an ugly TD and the "field goal" was yet another long drive with coverage breakdowns, right at a point when a single stop likely ends the game.

Also noteworthy is that the first interception came after NY easily marched into NE territory right before the half. It was a good play, but boiling the drive down to that single play slaps a bit too much lipstick on it.

I'm not convinced the Jet game represents more than marginal improvement in pass defense. The run D made some progress, though.

Given the offense they were facing, that isn't that impressive a stretch. Even more so when you consider that the "fumble" drive was a nanometer from being an ugly TD and the "field goal" was yet another long drive with coverage breakdowns, right at a point when a single stop likely ends the game.

Also noteworthy is that the first interception came after NY easily marched into NE territory right before the half. It was a good play, but boiling the drive down to that single play slaps a bit too much lipstick on it.

I'm not convinced the Jet game represents more than marginal improvement in pass defense. The run D made some progress, though.

OTOH, considering that Butler and Bademosi were the primary CBs (with considerable help from McCourty at CB and Jon Jones filling in for about a quarter of the CB snaps), even a marginal improvement seems hopeful.

Bold Prediction:

NE will finish the season between #14-18 in YPG.

AND

Between #13-17 in PPG

Dont see anything bold about that. They will be somewhere in the neighborhood the usual 21 points allowed at the end of the season. The yards are totally meaningless so its fine by me if they give up the highest amount EVER times two just to make the lazy idiots ***** and whine.

It is a division game on the road. Those games were close with the suddenly oh so great teams in 2014 and 2016 as well. I dont get how this gets pointed out for years and people still pretend as if games against the Jets should be automatic wins.

And everything else are just excuses. It is exactly like Chatham is saying. People have seen the first couple of games and drives and have decided that this team has a bad defense even if they have shown clear improvement and were downright good at times later on. What is the most frustrating aspect is that the narrative just seems to shift just as required to fit your bias.

Allow many points ? The points per game tell the story.
Allow only 3 more points in 3 quarters ? Screw the points per game lets look at it on play-by-play basis.
There are not enough turnovers ? Downplay turnovers because they happen on your side of the field.
Giving up too much per play ? Ignore that they put the Jets consistently into uncomfortable third and long situations.

Is this a great defense ? No, not by any stretch. Are they historically bad ? Nope, not by any stretch. They are on the way to be a league average defense by November and hopefully click even more in December/January.

People seriously should check some of the 2014 and especially 2016 threads to see how everyone was freaking out about whatever they could find throughout the year trying only to now sit and point towards those defenses as some kind of standard.

Those games were close with the suddenly oh so great teams in 2014 and 2016 as well. I dont get how this gets pointed out for years and people still pretend as if games against the Jets should be automatic wins.

And everything else are just excuses.

I'm well aware of how the games in NY went in those years, thanks. And "excuses" is a terrible way to describe it, "context" would be more accurate. Even if the defense played exactly the same in 14\16 as it did on Sunday, those were outliers rather than a continuation of a trend.

Perhaps it's just me, but I find more comprehensive analysis (rather than simplifying a drive to just how it ended) and proper context benefits understanding. To each their own, I guess. :cool:

Last edited:
OTOH, considering that Butler and Bademosi were the primary CBs (with considerable help from McCourty at CB and Jon Jones filling in for about a quarter of the CB snaps), even a marginal improvement seems hopeful.

No doubt that this is notable. What makes me temper it a bit is how little those guys were targeted. Was NY flummoxed by the personnel? Do they only have one legitimate WR? Did Jon and Jon play great?

But you are right that this a variable that could prove more meaningful than I consider now.

No doubt that this is notable. What makes me temper it a bit is how little those guys were targeted. Was NY flummoxed by the personnel? Do they only have one legitimate WR? Did Jon and Jon play great?

But you are right that this a variable that could prove more meaningful than I consider now.

McCown seemed to pick on Butler instead of Bademosi. And, on the one long reception that Jones allowed, his near-perfect coverage was defeated by a ridiculous throw and an exceptional catch.

Anyway, I haven't re-watched, so I don't know if Bademosi/Jones had help and Butler didn't.

I guess that we're about to find out if Bademosi is really that good, or if the Jets are ... well ... the Jets.

Perhaps it's just me, but I find more comprehensive analysis (rather than simplifying a drive to just how it ended) and proper context benefits understanding. To each their own, I guess. :cool:

Which is my entire point. If you truly look at the context then you should be happy where the defense is going. But I have a feeling that your bias doesnt allow you to see things objectively at all.

Go listen to Chatham..

But I have a feeling that your bias doesnt allow you to see things objectively at all.

You aren't familiar with my posting history are you? I'm probably a founding member of the IBIT club. It makes me laugh that I'd ever be accused of having a bias in the other direction. :D

Anyway, it's really quite simple; I'm not sold on the defense yet and I have good reasons to feel the way I do. Hopefully the improvements continue this week.

matt ryan is going to destroy this terrible secondary.

....thank god we have tom brady!!! no conservative play calling!! we'll need 40 points tomorrow night

matt ryan is going to destroy this terrible secondary.

....thank god we have tom brady!!! no conservative play calling!! we'll need 40 points tomorrow night

Im making a bold prediction here, Pats win 105 - 103

With a safety being the game winner that results from Matty Ice fumbling a snap deep in his own territory due to being blinded by Tommy B's aura.

Although, we have to wait for the conclusion of the PHI-DAL game.

Last edited:
People seriously should check some of the 2014 and especially 2016 threads to see how everyone was freaking out about whatever they could find throughout the year trying only to now sit and point towards those defenses as some kind of standard.

I believe I remember people complaining about Vrabel on here at one point. Nature of the beast.

They just GAVE away those 8 points :p

The lack of anything that could even be remotely described as a pass rush is still extremely concerning.

The lack of anything that could even be remotely described as a pass rush is still extremely concerning.

Not disagreeing with you completely but a couple of things to keep in mind.

Carr has the fastest time to throw time in the league at 2.33. Hard to get pressure on him.

The Pats don't get a lot of sacks but they do force the QB to throw with pressure.

Some screenshots from the game yesterday.

upload_2017-11-20_13-29-6.png

upload_2017-11-20_13-30-27.png

upload_2017-11-20_13-32-39.png

Everybody has played 10 games. We're 13th in points allowed. Only 8 pts from being 10th. Given 5/6 against AFC East teams. Could finish 5-6.

They'll definitely be top 10 in points allowed. I just meant as an overall unit. Not statistically, since we know how those numbers can be skewed and/or mis represented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye