PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Ravens be beat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flacco is not good but he'll get his yards against our defense. The game will come down to red zone performance.

Sounds like someone is in for a big surprise this weekend. Flacco is no Brady, but he can do some serious damage.

As for our red zone defense, I think we've only given up one passing TD in the red zone this season. Much better odds if you try to punch it in...which seems to be NE's weak spot.

Sounds like someone is in for a big surprise this weekend. Flacco is no Brady, but he can do some serious damage.

As for our red zone defense, I think we've only given up one passing TD in the red zone this season. Much better odds if you try to punch it in...which seems to be NE's weak spot.

naw, Rice can do serious damage. there you go
honeslty, Sanchez is playing better than Flacco so far, damn i hated saying that lol

Last edited:
Neither team is going to blow the other out. It will come down to turnovers and probably a FG wins it as time expires...

JMHO :)

Can the Ravens be beat? Sure, of course; any and every team in the NFL can and will be beat again before the season is over.

Will the Pats beat the Ravens? I have no idea. To me the game could easily go either way, so a victory by either team would not be a shock to me. I felt the same way at the beginning of training camp about this matchup, the same at the start of week one, and the same now.

The matchup between the Pats offense versus the Ravens defense is both teams strengths. NE ranks #11 in yards and #1 in points; Baltimore's defense is #3 in yards allowed and #4 in points against. Considering the points scored on special teams and by the defense, that looks like a slight advantage to the Ravens.

Baltimore's offense is 19th in yards, 22nd in points. The Pats defense is 29th in yards, 26th in points. Statistically, again it looks like a slight advantage for the Ravens.

If you want to go a little deeper than those whole numbers, here is Football Outsiders' DVOA:

NEP Pass Offense #1, 65.6%
BAL Pass Defense #14, .07%

NEP Run Offense #2, 25.9%
BAL Run Defense #17, -4.5%

BAL Pass Offense #13, 18.8%
NEP Pass Defense #24, 20.1%

BAL Run Offense #8, 6.4%
NEP Run Defense #22, 2.8%

However, the Pats do have the edge on special teams. NE is 2nd on kick returns while Baltimore is 24th. Not much difference in punting, punt returns or field goals.

So what does a game like this often come down to? Turnovers - and here the Pats do have a decided edge. Pats are +4, 6th best in the NFL; the Ravens are -6, with only SF having a worse turnover ratio.

Since each offense and defense seem to be somewhat evenly matched up against their opponents defense and offense, if just one of those units can dominate the other, then that would probably be enough to win the game since all the other units would need to do is play even with their opponent. I'm cautiously optimistic about this game; neither a loss nor a win would surprise me. Should be a good game.

Last edited:
Can the Ravens be beat? Sure, of course; any and every team in the NFL can and will be beat again before the season is over.

Will the Pats beat the Ravens? I have no idea. To me the game could easily go either way, so a victory by either team would not be a shock to me. I felt the same way at the beginning of training camp about this matchup, the same at the start of week one, and the same now.

The matchup between the Pats offense versus the Ravens defense is both teams strengths. NE ranks #11 in yards and #1 in points; Baltimore's defense is #3 in yards allowed and #4 in points against. Considering the points scored on special teams and by the defense, that looks like a slight advantage to the Ravens.

Baltimore's offense is 19th in yards, 22nd in points. The Pats defense is 29th in yards, 26th in points. Statistically, again it looks like a slight advantage for the Ravens.

If you want to go a little deeper than those whole numbers, here is Football Outsiders' DVOA:

NEP Pass Offense #1, 65.6%
BAL Pass Defense #14, .07%

NEP Run Offense #2, 25.9%
BAL Run Defense #17, -4.5%

BAL Pass Offense #13, 18.8%
NEP Pass Defense #24, 20.1%

BAL Run Offense #8, 6.4%
NEP Run Defense #22, 2.8%

However, the Pats do have the edge on special teams. NE is 2nd on kick returns while Baltimore is 24th. Not much difference in punting, punt returns or field goals.

So what does a game like this often come down to? Turnovers - and here the Pats do have a decided edge. Pats are +4, 6th best in the NFL; the Ravens are -6, with only SF having a worse turnover ratio.

Since each offense and defense seem to be somewhat evenly matched up against their opponents defense and offense, if just one of those units can dominate the other, then that would probably be enough to win the game since all the other units would need to do is play even with their opponent. I'm cautiously optimistic about this game; neither a loss nor a win would surprise me. Should be a good game.

I hate using stats/rankings this early in the season to evaluate teams...for example, as you mentioned above, when you consider all factors, our defense has a decisive edge over your offense. But we all know in the real world, it is very possible that NE could put the boots to our defense...likewise, we tradiitionally have been a team that wins the turnover battle, but have started off poorly in that aspect this year.

In a game that appears it will be decided by 7 or less, turnovers are going to go a long way...which actually gives me a little confidence heading into this one. Reason is because we're beating very good teams (steelers, new york ravens, broncos if you want to count them as good) without the turnovers, and we know that this defense can turn that around in a hurry.

Btw, while I am ranting, if anyone is interested/cares as to why we haven't been producing many turnovers, main reason is that everyone in our secondary has hands of stone apparently. I'm waiting to see ed reed jump on the field and punch one of these guys in the face....we have dropped, literally, around 6-7 interceptions this year where the ball bounced off the DB's chest, gut and once even the facemask. I dont know how you fix that? Maybe slap some pine tar on their gloves...

How can you reconcile that I said Flacco will get his yards this week and I'll be in for a surprise?

Flacco is really not very good. He is one of those players who looks great mechanically, does everything right, yet is just not very good. He has tons of weapons on that offense and should be leading a top 5 passing game with Rice, Mason, Boldin, Heap, and a great O-line. With all those weapons, he has a 72.1 passer rating and 57.1% completion percentage. Over his career he has a an underwhelming 61% completion percentage. Without even comparing him to Brady, that's not good. Will he be good? Maybe... he's still young. He has good poise and is safe with the ball. As I said, he'll do fine this week against the Pats secondary who have made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like a superstar.

no they cannot, as seen by their impressive record.

Fitz is putting up better numbers than Flacco, I wouldn't worry much if we continue to force mistakes, 6 INTs in the last two games.

How can you reconcile that I said Flacco will get his yards this week and I'll be in for a surprise?

Flacco is really not very good. He is one of those players who looks great mechanically, does everything right, yet is just not very good. He has tons of weapons on that offense and should be leading a top 5 passing game with Rice, Mason, Boldin, Heap, and a great O-line. With all those weapons, he has a 72.1 passer rating and 57.1% completion percentage. Over his career he has a an underwhelming 61% completion percentage. Without even comparing him to Brady, that's not good. Will he be good? Maybe... he's still young. He has good poise and is safe with the ball. As I said, he'll do fine this week against the Pats secondary who have made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like a superstar.

Sorry, I didnt word that as well as I should have.
What I meant was that I think you will be surprised at how much better flacco is than your current opinion of him.
THe numbers look mediocre, but it is also skewed by one horrendous performance against Cincy...which is one reason I hate using stats so early in the year.
Another reason I hate using stats so soon is because three of our first five games came against last years top 5 defenses, all on the road...that isnt reflected in the stat line either. Even Manning/Brees/Brady wouldn't look too great after a schedule like that. They'd look better than Flacco, no doubt, but that is brutal man.

Sorry, I didnt word that as well as I should have.
What I meant was that I think you will be surprised at how much better flacco is than your current opinion of him.
THe numbers look mediocre, but it is also skewed by one horrendous performance against Cincy...which is one reason I hate using stats so early in the year.
Another reason I hate using stats so soon is because three of our first five games came against last years top 5 defenses, all on the road...that isnt reflected in the stat line either. Even Manning/Brees/Brady wouldn't look too great after a schedule like that. They'd look better than Flacco, no doubt, but that is brutal man.

Brady has played against two of those three teams.

That being said, I think the jury is still out on Flacco. Given how NE has looked this year, he should get his opportunities. Personally, I think it is most important for the pats to stop the pass in this game. The offense should be able to move the ball even against a good Baltimore defense but I am worried about getting behind a team like Baltimore with their running game.

??????????????

I see why you're on the practice squad.

In other words, score a KR TD, which Tate is quite capable of doing against a poor Baltimore ST coverage unit, and win the TO battle so that our offense can get to work on that Ravens middling secondary.
Put 8 in the box to stop Rice on obvious run downs and have McCourty blanket Boldin. Give him safety help if he needs it.
Yeah sounds like a winnable game.

Last edited:
The Patriots, last time I checked, were a 3 point favorite to win this game. BB doesn't lose coming off bye weeks nor do the Pats lose at home very often. I think it will be a close game. If Baltimore is able to run the ball and set up play action they will control the game. The Patriots need turnovers and special teams to score in order to win. The Ravens give up yardage between the 20's but get tough in the red zone. I think the Patriots are a better version of the Broncos style that the Ravens handled easily last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST