PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the New England Patriots Keep Free Agent Rex Burkhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think DL leaves for big money (don't blame him) so I'd like to see Rex back, I don't want to say if he stays healthy since we said the same thing about DL. Could be bad luck, maybe TB 12 would help him stay healthy the whole year. Even Hanley Ramirez gave it a shot.

i could care less if he comes back. this team has bigger fish to fry.

The Cat is better. I would be surprised to see either one in a Patriots uniform next season.
I’d be surprised to see them pony up enough to retain Lewis, because I think he’s going to get an offer in FA that they simply won’t match/doesn’t provide good value for their system.

I’m actually expecting Burkhead to come back, though. He did well on STs, showed versatility as a RB and performed very nicely when he saw significant snaps. I think he’ll be much more affordable and will be a good fit to their RBBC approach.

i could care less if he comes back. this team has bigger fish to fry.
We currently only have James White and Mike Gillislee under contract at the position. We need at least 2-3 more. Lewis, Bolden, and Burkhead are all free agents.

Rex Burkhead scored 8 TDs in only 12 games (including postseason) last year and had a key 46 yard play in the SB. He plays well on STs and is a versatile weapon out of the backfield.

I'd be fine with Burkhead, even he were the #4 RB and a STer. I think he is more than that, but that depends on who we sign.

We currently only have James White and Mike Gillislee under contract at the position. We need at least 2-3 more. Lewis, Bolden, and Burkhead are all free agents.

Rex Burkhead scored 8 TDs in only 12 games (including postseason) last year and had a key 46 yard play in the SB. He plays well on STs and is a versatile weapon out of the backfield.

I’d be surprised to see them pony up enough to retain Lewis, because I think he’s going to get an offer in FA that they simply won’t match/doesn’t provide good value for their system.

I’m actually expecting Burkhead to come back, though. He did well on STs, showed versatility as a RB and performed very nicely when he saw significant snaps. I think he’ll be much more affordable and will be a good fit to their RBBC approach.

I think he's lethal in the red zone because you can move him all around. I am still stunned at McDaniels/Brady's lack of interest in using him in the SB. I was waiting, waiting and waiting.....It wasn't until what, late in the 2nd qtr? And, then he was torching that D, only to then disappear again. Very strange to me.

I have never seen an offense have so many weapons, where it somehow confuses the coordinator.

Bolden isn't going anywhere, if he wants to keep playing. Dion is gone, most likely. Too many teams with tons of money and need. Detroit may make a run amongst others. Competition will be too much.

I wonder if Gillislee's is ticked off and needs to be dealt? I still like him and honestly would like to see more. He got bounced due to the fumble and Burkhead's talent, yet we stopped using Burkhead in the postseason. Just bizarre logic. I saw no evidence of Burkhead not looking fresh in the SB.

Super.

Now we have a grumpy Gillislee, will lose Lewis, and maybe Burkhead, with only Bolden and White left behind.

Why on earth are we committing to these RBs (Burkhead in particular), as a 1 year rental without a contract extension on the heels of it?

Hopefully, this is all smoke by other teams toying with BB here, and the market isn't that strong, allowing him to come back. The only good news is, he missed a bunch of games and wasn't allowed to play in the SB, so maybe that helps. lmao

I am constantly amazed that folks think that somehow we deserve to have players sign with the patriots for less than market value.

Yes, Lewis and Bulkhead have value to other teams. Bolden doesn't. Why is that a surprise.

Also, after presuming that Lewis and Bulkhead are one because of competition, then we will here how we can sign this free agent or that free agent, as if there is no competition.

The issue is the value of RB's to Belichick and to other teams. Bill will decide how much of our resources to use on running backs. I think that Bulkhead is more likely to come back, since my guess is that his value to us may not be all that different from the value to others.

And yes, we have to compete with teams who have $100M to spend.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
I am constantly amazed that folks think that somehow we deserve to have players sign with the patriots for less than market value.

Yes, Lewis and Bulkhead have value to other teams. Bolden doesn't. Why is that a surprise.

Also, after presuming that Lewis and Bulkhead are one because of competition, then we will here how we can sign this free agent or that free agent, as if there is no competition.

The issue is the value of RB's to Belichick and to other teams. Bill will decide how much of our resources to use on running backs. I think that Bulkhead is more likely to come back, since my guess is that his value to us may not be all that different from the value to others.

And yes, we have to compete with teams who have $100M to spend.

yeah, those teams who have 100 million in “cap space” suck donkey balls.

so, if rex burkhead wants to be paid the most money possible and be miserable with a cte risk later in life with nary a sniff of a sb ring, that is absolutely his choice.

absolutely

so, if rex burkhead wants to be paid the most money possible and be miserable with a cte risk later in life with nary a sniff of a sb ring, that is absolutely his choice.

absolutely
Sure, but we can’t expect most players to take hometown discounts to stay in cold ass Foxborough so they can run up the hill all summer with BB screaming at them.

Some hardcore players like Amendola? Definitely, but not most. There are many other competing teams (12-15 per year) and much warmer places to spend one’s time. There are also teams that offer much better terms, financially.

absolutely
As I have said, there are those posters who think that the NFl is NOT a business and that Bulkhead should simply ignore offers from teams like HOU or TENN who both have over $45M available

Players should only want to play for the patriots I guess. Certainly team like pHI and KC have little money.

Sure, but we can’t expect most players to take hometown discounts to stay in cold ass Foxborough so they can run up the hill all summer with BB screaming at them.

Some hardcore players like Amendola? Definitely, but not most. There are many other competing teams (12-15 per year) and much warmer places to spend one’s time. There are also teams that offer much better terms, financially.

if you don’t play to win, why do they play it?

????

Why do YOU go to work?

Pay bills, save money, spend some money, and try to improve my career.

But, also and maybe most importantly, I want to work in a positive environment with good people.

The teams with a "lot of cap space" are crap franchises. There is a reason why those teams can't figure it out.

And you?

Super.

Now we have a grumpy Gillislee, will lose Lewis, and maybe Burkhead, with only Bolden and White left behind.

Why on earth are we committing to these RBs (Burkhead in particular), as a 1 year rental without a contract extension on the heels of it?

Hopefully, this is all smoke by other teams toying with BB here, and the market isn't that strong, allowing him to come back. The only good news is, he missed a bunch of games and wasn't allowed to play in the SB, so maybe that helps. lmao

As long as we have that pass catching back we will be OK. And We have White is quietly becoming the best one we've ever had.

You pair him with almost any between the tackles and we should be OK. Hopefully we can keep one of Lewis or Burkhead.

Obviously if they all walk you'd need more than one guy but I don't think it's that hard to fill.

Pay bills, save money, spend some money, and try to improve my career.

But, also and maybe most importantly, I want to work in a positive environment with good people.

The teams with a "lot of cap space" are crap franchises. There is a reason why those teams can't figure it out.

And you?

There are TEN teams with over $45M in cap space. They are NOT all crap franchises.

Yes, the NFL is a business. Players play for very few years. Of course, they want a positive environment. And, often, the weather or schools for the kids make a difference.
But MOST important has to be money. A negotiated contract is often the last.

So, sure, lots of things matter. And many top players are willing to sacrifice to be on a contending team. However, as I have said, there are contending teams with lots of money.

if you don’t play to win, why do they play it?
I get what you’re saying, but you have about half of the top 15 teams with available space that either made the playoffs this year (Rams, Vikes, Titans, Saints, Panthers, Jaguars) or are considered to be up and coming (SF).

There are plenty of competitive teams in the league who may offer more money, even if they don’t have the consistent success that NE does.

Edit: mgteich beat me to it as I was typing my response.

There are TEN teams with over $45M in cap space. They are NOT all crap franchises.

Yes, the NFL is a business. Players play for very few years. Of course, they want a positive environment. And, often, the weather or schools for the kids make a difference.
But MOST important has to be money. A negotiated contract is often the last.

So, sure, lots of things matter. And many top players are willing to sacrifice to be on a contending team. However, as I have said, there are contending teams with lots of money.

i don’t agree..i don’t think teams in a wicked cap hell or teams with “cap space”, many years away from being a serious contender, are on the same general platform of the pats or other legit contenders.

there are a lot of trendy teams from this pats year, that will regress this season. happens all the time.

watch what happens to these teams that sign a 25 mil per qb, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes