PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the New England Patriots Keep Free Agent Rex Burkhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Can the New England Patriots Keep Free Agent Rex Burkhead?

Steve Balestrieri

And versatility is Burkhead’s middle name. His season production, 264 yards on the ground with five touchdowns, 254 yards in the air with three more touchdowns. A blocked kick on Special Teams…

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Love Rex, but he's injured every other game.

Rex needs to go through the same adamantium infusion that Dion did. Then...

giphy.gif

...look out. :)

Considering he was kidnapped in the postseason for god knows what over-analyzed reason (yet again), I'd say he needs to come back because Dion Lewis will likely command MORE in FA, but I think Burkhead is more dynamic inside and outside, pass receiving and in the red zone, as well as some work at WR, where he's more effective.

But, since he's apparently being held hostage, he may not even be reachable to offer him a deal.

Send him back to ohio

The Cat is better. I would be surprised to see either one in a Patriots uniform next season.

I’d like to see him back, tough, smart, good in multiple phases of the game. Does a lot of things well.

First I like and want Dion more.

But Rex when healthy was an awesome fit for this team. A do it all back. I would be happy to have him back and I think you have to keep 1 of the 2.

As is always the case, if the price is right I'd like to see him stay. When healthy (yeah, I know) he's proven to be a pretty productive and versatile player. He fits the team, and the system, real well.

If I were the GM I would pay Dion and Develin stays of course and bring in some youth to back up both of them.

dion’s shelf life is probably more risky than burkhead’s. lewis has more miles and certainly more seasons with an injury past. this season, i believe, was the first season he actually finished in one piece

Lewis will get paid by someone. Burkhead should stay affordable due to not really playing a lot this past season and thus still being a bit of an unknown for other teams. IMO they would do well with a backfield of Burkhead, White, Gillislee, Bolden and Develin. Gillislee would actually be active with Lewis gone; people rag on him but I think he's a good back and would work well in rotation with Burkhead and White.

I hope he gets signed but I’d rather have lewis

The better question is why Bill signed him for only one year when it was pretty clear he would do well in this system? He was a 3rd string in Cincinnati, I assume it would be cheap to sign him for 2 or 3 years (like he offered to that Jag Mclelin) , if it doesn't work out then cut, things work that way in the NFL, teams have much more contract leverage than the players. It seems BB sign players for one year very often and then we lose them in the off-season.

Look for the Colts to steal him or the 49ers to give to JimmyG a RB with Patriots system all over him.

The better question is why Bill signed him for only one year when it was pretty clear he would do well in this system? He was a 3rd string in Cincinnati, I assume it would be cheap to sign him for 2 or 3 years (like he offered to that Jag Mclelin) , if it doesn't work out then cut, things work that way in the NFL, teams have much more contract leverage than the players. It seems BB sign players for one year very often and then we lose them in the off-season.

Look for the Colts to steal him or the 49ers to give to JimmyG a RB with Patriots system all over him.

could have been burkhead’s own choice

This is what makes this board so great, We have posters who have inside information with regard to negotiations. In this case, you seem know that the patriots could have had a player for more years with no cost or risk to the team.

Yes, there are lots of players that Belichick signs to a one year contract, only to lose them. BOTH parties are usually happy that the plane decided to come here. There are always posters who seem to know what Belichick could have re-signed the player for, and what Belichick could have signed him for in the beginning so that the player wouldn't be leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes