PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone explain the Justin Fields hype?

Maybe the thought process is our offense is gonna blow anyway, so maybe see if Justin Fields can be the guy. Just a thought, likely not true.

Im not in that line of thinking though.
I’m either trying to talk to Cardinals into giving up their late first to move up and secure MHJ, then taking Daniels at 4. Or I’m just taking Daniels at 3. Those are my two options.

Maybe the thought process is our offense is gonna blow anyway, so maybe see if Justin Fields can be the guy. Just a thought, likely not true.

Im not in that line of thinking though.
I’m either trying to talk to Cardinals into giving up their late first to move up and secure MHJ, then taking Daniels at 4. Or I’m just taking Daniels at 3. Those are my two options.
Give a 3rd up for Fields, tell Cardinals we're taking MHJ unless you give a 3rd to move up a pick, then take Daniels and get a one year rental on Fields for free lol

I am so glad Mayo is the HC and not some of us Zappe in comparison with Fields oh bwoy we have sunken pretty deep. :rolleyes:

Anyone who has actually watched a full game with Fields would know that he is not a good passer. He is consistently inaccurate, has no touch, and despite being a talented runner, does not have any pocket presence.

I watched him ay against the vikings. He makes 4 terrible plays for every good one. You get to see the good ones on the highlight package.
A Poors man's Lamar Jackson what's not to like??

Fields? lol no

no. in the last 7 games of the season, 5 passing TD. 1 game over 225 yards, 4 games under 170 yards, 61%

Zappe in 6 games starting, 6 passing TD, 2 games over 225 yards, 1 game under 170 yards passing, 61%

Why waste a draft pick on a guy that gave Zappe like production. Fields actually had a #1 WR to throw to, Zappe didn't
Fields had nothing to do with DJ Moore's over 13000yds and Kmet's over 700yds.:rolleyes:

To me the biggest issue with Fields is that you run the risk of him being nothing more than a one-year rental, as 2024 is the final year of his contract.

If you give him an extension that he agrees to you run the risk of committing major cap space, as well as losing the earliest draft pick the team has had in 30 years for a mid to low tier NFL QB. It sounds eerily similar to the situation Denver is in with Russell Wilson. The Broncos are stuck with Wilson for at least two more seasons because of the deal they signed him to in 2022.

As far as the risk/reward goes, I would rather roll the dice on a rookie. Hopefully you get five very good years on a cheaper rookie contract, rather than paying way more on a veteran deal. Retaining the #3 pick makes much more sense.
I don't think Wilson will be in Denver much longer.1000003083.jpg

I like the idea, personally. Fields is a dual threat (can run) and was showing improvement as a passer down the stretch last season. He would be the proverbial bridge guy while the position is being reset, assuming there's a rookie in the mix. He also might blossom into a solid starter given a change of scenery and better coaching, which Van Pelt could offer. Young, strong, with upside and relatively inexpensive (at least at first) both in salary and draft capital needed to get him -- likely a third-rounder. I'd rather take a flyer on Fields vs. guaranteed mediocrity with someone like Brissett or paying heavily for one of the other FA veteran QBs being discussed.

Another thing: considering the OL will be another work in progress, the Pats will need someone athletic behind center who can make plays with his legs.

THIS.

Say we take MHJ then an OT in round 2...and bring in Fields...

Fields might not be much of a pocket passer, but he's a RB playing QB....and can throw the ball A LOT better than Cam Newton for sure.

A Poors man's Lamar Jackson what's not to like??
Huge insult to Lamar who was the 7th ranked passer by DVOA this year. Fields was 30th, slightly above Mac Jones who was 31st (Zappe was last in the league, 36th of 36).

By total production (DYAR) including rushing, Lamar was 7th overall, Fields was 29th of 36.

Fields is an idiot man's Lamar Jackson.

DVOA (paywalled)

Huge insult to Lamar who was the 7th ranked passer by DVOA this year. Fields was 30th, slightly above Mac Jones who was 31st (Zappe was last in the league, 36th of 36).

By total production (DYAR) including rushing, Lamar was 7th overall, Fields was 29th of 36th.

Fields is an idiot man's Lamar Jackson.
Angry Parks And Rec GIF

Fields comes with big risks. Biggest one is very poor accuracy.
Also looking back at his college career at Ohio State his best year was his sophomore year. His Junior year was not nearly as good...so consistency was not great over time.

The numbers for Jaylen Daniels are crazy good especially his rushing numbers.

Jaylen Daniels is MUCH closer to LJ than Fields.
Hoping for Daniels.

Fields comes with big risks. Biggest one is very poor accuracy.
Also looking back at his college career at Ohio State his best year was his sophomore year. His Junior year was not nearly as good...so consistency was not great over time.

The numbers for Jaylen Daniels are crazy good especially his rushing numbers.
The big question for me is his build.

THIS.

Say we take MHJ then an OT in round 2...and bring in Fields...

Fields might not be much of a pocket passer, but he's a RB playing QB....and can throw the ball A LOT better than Cam Newton for sure.
I'm with on MHJ and a stud OT, but no Fields. He is too erratic.

If the Pats don't love (and I mean absolutely love) the QB who is left at #3, I love the idea of trading down. This team has far too many needs to just draft a QB #3 and not be absolutely convinced that guy is going to be a stud. So I like Perry's trade strategy.

But I don't see giving up a third rounder for Fields. They guy is all potential and very little production. The guy has had a small handful of games over the last two seasons where you look at him and say maybe he can be a franchise QB some day. And then there are even more games where you wonder why they haven't benched him.

If the Pats don't love (and I mean absolutely love) the QB who is left at #3, I love the idea of trading down. This team has far too many needs to just draft a QB #3 and not be absolutely convinced that guy is going to be a stud. So I like Perry's trade strategy.

But I don't see giving up a third rounder for Fields. They guy is all potential and very little production. The guy has had a small handful of games over the last two seasons where you look at him and say maybe he can be a franchise QB some day. And then there are even more games where you wonder why they haven't benched him.
Isn’t that worth a third?
When I look at the third round of this draft, Joe Milton? Spencer Rattler?
Would def rather have have Fields.

Isn’t that worth a third?
When I look at the third round of this draft, Joe Milton? Spencer Rattler?
Would def rather have have Fields.
Those aren’t the only two options. Get somebody at another position on a four year rookie contract with that pick instead.

Fields played pretty well the end of the season.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back