PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone explain the Justin Fields hype?

If the Pats don't love (and I mean absolutely love) the QB who is left at #3, I love the idea of trading down. This team has far too many needs to just draft a QB #3 and not be absolutely convinced that guy is going to be a stud. So I like Perry's trade strategy.

But I don't see giving up a third rounder for Fields. They guy is all potential and very little production. The guy has had a small handful of games over the last two seasons where you look at him and say maybe he can be a franchise QB some day. And then there are even more games where you wonder why they haven't benched him.
The Pats need young offensive playmakers on rookie deals. You take Marv Harrison at #3 and he is here for at least 4 years.

Why you don't take QB at #3 is, if you're going to give Corky another legit chance, you cant have a QB picked 3rd overall sitting there on the NE roster. 2024 is Jones last shot with better WRs, improved OL and an OC that will hopefully get the best out of him.

The Pats need young offensive playmakers on rookie deals. You take Marv Harrison at #3 and he is here for at least 4 years.

Why you don't take QB at #3 is, if you're going to give Corky another legit chance, you cant have a QB picked 3rd overall sitting there on the NE roster. 2024 is Jones last shot with better WRs, improved OL and an OC that will hopefully get the best out of him.
Hell no not Mac Jones.

Hell no not Mac Jones.
Triumph just wants Mac to stay so he can continue calling him Corky and have the Pats offense continue to suck so he can blame Mayo and the new staff.

I'm telling you, if Mayo starts Mac at QB, I'm out.

If the Pats don't love (and I mean absolutely love) the QB who is left at #3, I love the idea of trading down. This team has far too many needs to just draft a QB #3 and not be absolutely convinced that guy is going to be a stud. So I like Perry's trade strategy.

But I don't see giving up a third rounder for Fields. They guy is all potential and very little production. The guy has had a small handful of games over the last two seasons where you look at him and say maybe he can be a franchise QB some day. And then there are even more games where you wonder why they haven't benched him.
Personally I don't think trading down makes much sense. The only way to get good value out of that pick in a trade down is if it's at minimum lower top 10. At which point you can't even guarantee you are drafting a stud in the first round, much less whatever you get with the rest of the picks. We are better off taking a guaranteed stud in MHJ. WR is a problem, a big one at that. You can almost instantly fix it at #3. We will have a high 2nd and 3rd and we can probably trade back into the first if we think someone is worth getting there.

But we aren't going to trade down and fix the team with a single draft pick. Just take the most automatic guy who happens to be at a position of need.

Hell no not Mac Jones.
Corky is back for 24.

GM Robert Kraft owes him that. There cannot be a new 1st round QB on the roster for Corky to have a legit chance to prove himself to GM. Take a QB in late rounds if you want, but the 2024 draft should be used to rebuild this team. Beginning with a Stud WR like the majority of playoff teams have. Address the WR position - finally - and move on to the OL.

Corky would have a chance to win with the problems that plagued the 2023 team addressed. If 2024 goes the way of 2023 you have your answer with Corkys future in NE and can draft a QB in 2025. This deal is not a quick fix. It took the Lions 3 years to be legit and they opted for a FA Vet QB in Goff.

First build a team for a new QB to come to. Right now you have Henry, Stevenson, Douglas, a few OL and Bourne. Carter, JuJu, Tyquan, Boutte would anybody miss them? Hell no. Its due time to go out and get WRs that are contributing players from day 1 instead of hoping and praying these 5hitbums like Boutee catch a pass.

Going for a QB now at #3 is like heading straight to pie and cake while ignoring meat and potatoes.

To give credit to the pro-Fields side, if the Pats draft a player at #3, that player will get roughly $42M, fully guaranteed; Fields will earn about $2.5M this year.
The guaranteed money is over the life or the contract or upfront? I know the rookies pay scale was changed in the last CBA right. ? I'm always all for players to get paid. The career of an NFL player is very short lived.

Isn’t that worth a third?
When I look at the third round of this draft, Joe Milton? Spencer Rattler?
Would def rather have have Fields.

I doubt Fields will ever be a franchise QB. I wouldn’t trade for him. He is still a horrible passer who can do some great things with his feet. I would rather sign a guy like Mayfield and draft a developmental QB or wait until next year to draft one in the first round if I wasn’t in love who was available with the third pick or in the second round.

Personally I don't think trading down makes much sense. The only way to get good value out of that pick in a trade down is if it's at minimum lower top 10. At which point you can't even guarantee you are drafting a stud in the first round, much less whatever you get with the rest of the picks. We are better off taking a guaranteed stud in MHJ. WR is a problem, a big one at that. You can almost instantly fix it at #3. We will have a high 2nd and 3rd and we can probably trade back into the first if we think someone is worth getting there.

But we aren't going to trade down and fix the team with a single draft pick. Just take the most automatic guy who happens to be at a position of need.

This draft is supposed to be unusually top heavy. in Perry’s mock, the Pats would draft a WR who might have been the first WR off the board if he was in last year’s draft and a tackle who could potentially man the left side for a decade or a decade and a half. The Pats have too many needs to utilize Harrison the way he should. And Harrison wouldn’t fix the WR problem. And the Pats still have a LT problem in that scenario.

I doubt Fields will ever be a franchise QB. I wouldn’t trade for him. He is still a horrible passer who can do some great things with his feet. I would rather sign a guy like Mayfield and draft a developmental QB or wait until next year to draft one in the first round if I wasn’t in love who was available with the third pick or in the second round.
I wouldn't be mad if we traded for fields. Yeah true he may never be a franchise QB, I still take the qb in the draft it's pretty much a no Brainer for us. But if we're on the roster he'd be a much better option that what we currently have. He has a much better upside IMO than Mac or zap combined.. I keep hearing poster mentioning draft capital, Chicago is taking another QB likely. Teams know fields would be moved that then plays into other teams hands. I personally think fields could be obtained for a 4th. Trade a 4th and Mac for fields?

Fields is just another "Oooooo, I feel all tingly: he's sooo athleddick." boondoggle. No thanks.

He's a Cadillac compared to Bailey J miones.
Probably so. I'd trade one-for-one, but I would not then regard Field as a likely candidate the franchise qb slot. He might serve in a transitional , placeholder role. Maybe he could help in the mentor role, though I think are likely far better options for that than guy who has shown such weak improvement as a passer.

But I would not spend more than pin money on him, nor would I repose much hope in his making a major contribution. If he does so, great: there are happy surprises in this world from time to time after all, and such a happy surprise would be more likely - though not very likely - with Fields than with Mac or the Zapster.

Probably so. I'd trade one-for-one, but I would not then regard Field as a likely candidate the franchise qb slot. He might serve in a transitional , placeholder role. Maybe he could help in the mentor role, though I think are likely far better options for that than guy who has shown such weak improvement as a passer.

But I would not spend more than pin money on him, nor would I repose much hope in his making a major contribution. If he does so, great: there are happy surprises in this world from time to time after all, and such a happy surprise would be more likely - though not very likely - with Fields than with Mac or the Zapster.
Agreed! I believe what gets looked at is does a QB get better? Fields has.. he still isn't a finished product, he like Mac in many ways was a victim of terrible coaching. If he could be had for minimal draft compensation I'd be elated I've heard nothing but great things about him and his attitude.

You people are not paying attention. Improved at the end of the year? No thank you.
1000003084.jpg

I don't understand it either and to be brutally honest, with (in theory) a new offense and new people in the coaching staff, I'd rather stay with Mac

I don't understand it either and to be brutally honest, with (in theory) a new offense and new people in the coaching staff, I'd rather stay with Mac
He's not a finished product, and no. You wouldn't want to stay with Mac, however Bill is widely to blame as well as Mac's immaturity for his failure. But it's just ideas being thrown around about fields becuase teams know Chicago like us are in the QB market. Fields isn't horrible, like Mac he needs a change a scenery. Dj Moore had a great season with fields. Screenshot_20240203_120005_Samsung Internet.jpg

He's not a finished product, and no. You wouldn't want to stay with Mac, however Bill is widely to blame as well as Mac's immaturity for his failure. But it's just ideas being thrown around about fields becuase teams know Chicago like us are in the QB market. Fields isn't horrible, like Mac he needs a change a scenery. Dj Moore had a great season with fields. View attachment 56399
You convinced me. Let's trade for Moore instead of Fields. Lol

You convinced me. Let's trade for Moore instead of Fields. Lol
Can we get them both? Fields for Bailey Zappe, & 2 if Bill's cut off hoodies? We can also throw in Joe Judges knee pads.

You forgot to put up the 1,400 yards DJ Moore had playing with him.
Sorry you still don't understand. Biggest game of the season against the Packers who they haven't beaten in a long time and he came up small. That's the point. Not clutch. Just like Harry.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back