Cam top 5 AFC QB or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now these guys we can clearly say are better hands down IMO

mahomes
Jackson
Watson
Big Ben

anyone else is either worse or debatably better.

historically, newton and watson are the same :D

No way. They are very very different.

The poster was merely making a comment about Newton and Watson being similar regarding football skills. He wasn’t saying they are the same because of their shared heritage. I get it: you’re super woke. But please do what is best for everyone on the board and keep your radical liberalism within political threads only. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and peace brother.

The poster was merely making a comment about Newton and Watson being similar regarding football skills. He wasn’t saying they are the same because of their shared heritage. I get it: you’re super woke. But please do what is best for everyone on the board and keep your radical liberalism within political threads only. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and peace brother.
Stop

I’m not sure I’d automatically rank Big Ben ahead of Newton considering Ben has consistently had a top WRs corps to throw to his entire career. We’re talking Hines Ward, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, JuJu, Heath Miller at TE. Switch their places, Ben in Carolina and Cam in Pittsburgh, and I think Cam is a first ballet HOFer like many think Ben is now. Context baby.

All that to answer the original question...maybe?

It all depends on his health. A 100% healthy Cam can lead this team to the playoffs and would without a doubt be a top five QB in the AFC.

Last edited:
Cam Newton is top 5 easily in the AFC East.

That’s about it

No way is newton top 5 in the afc. When I watch him at practice I see the following;

1.) he can not read defenses.
2.) he locks on receivers.
3.) he is not accurate. Sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes behind the receivers. His inaccuracy will gets receivers killed!

The good news is there is still time to work on all this.

No way is newton top 5 in the afc. When I watch him at practice I see the following;

3.) he is not accurate. Sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes behind the receivers. His inaccuracy will gets receivers killed!

Are you with the media? How are you watching practices?

There’ more then enough evidence that shows cam can read defenses at a fairly high level. His read progressions are at times suspect, but he doesn’t have football IQ issues.

I don’t think he’s top 5, but I think everyone’s lumped in there pretty closely after the top 5. I’ll go:
1) Mahomes
2) Jackson
3) Watson
4) Big Ben
5) Mayfield
6) - 16) Everyone else!

Do they serve beer at practices?

From 8/20/20

In three days of camp practices -- Monday's session was focused primarily on the running game -- Cam Newton has completed 20 of 34 attempts in 11-on-11 periods, and he's had five passes dropped. That's good for an accuracy percentage (completions plus drops) of 74 percent.

Perry: Is Newton beginning to distance himself?

In your opinion how's his health?

Healthier than he was a year ago at this time?

I know you want to say Cam is 100% healthy because you saw some posts on Instagram, so don't take it from me that there are concerns about his shoulder. Here's a former Panthers beat writer:

"Multiple sources I've spoken to have said if they're concerned about any Newton injury, it's his shoulder far more than his foot. Newton had surgery to repair a Lisfranc injury back in December, and that came after months of trying to avoid going under the knife again. His two shoulder surgeries came in March 2017 and January 2019, and I've been closing monitoring his throwing since.

Carolina's 6-2 start in 2018 and Newton's revival under Norv Turner masked his struggles to throw deep. He had trouble with his deep ball throughout training camp, and he attempted just 2.9 passes of 20-plus yards per game through the team's first eight games. Folks pointed to a T.J. Watt hit in Week 9 as a turning point in his season -- and I'm sure the hit didn't make his arm feel better -- but after that he was still attempting 2.8 passes of 20-plus yards per game.

And in just two games in 2019, Newton couldn't throw to the right side of the field. Could it have been the broken foot? Perhaps. But he completed just 40 percent of his passes to the right in those two losses, which is so below average it's statistically significant in my view.

So at 31 and a year away from contact, Newton should feel extremely refreshed. The ball is spinning off his hand right now, and it probably will throughout camp. Frankly, it should be. But the test will be how his arm is faring come November as the hits pile up and the weather gets colder. I'm not saying his arm will fall off, but the close inspection of his spirals isn't really necessary right now."

Last edited:

I know you want to say Cam is 100% healthy because you saw some posts on Instagram, so don't take it from me that there are concerns about his shoulder."

It's a legitimate concern.

Why? Bone spurs.

Rivera and the Panthers resolutely refused to use the term (bone spur) but it was reported by Charles Robinson.

Bone spurs and arthritis are synonymous. Cam's spurs likely developed due to instability in his shoulder joint and while removing them can be a relatively simple process the chances of recurrence are reasonable.

All that said, it is clear Cam is in no way limited as it goes to his shoulder, no "pitch count", etc...at present he is 100%. I'm sure he's gotten the best advice possible for strengthening/stabilizing the joint and keeping it that way over time.

It's been over 18 months since the Robinson tweet and the joint has had time to fully heal...in fact Jake Delhomme went on the record back in March saying the shoulder was perfectly healthy at training camp last year.

My personal opinion is the shoulder will hold up just fine and as long as Cam continues to condition properly he should be fine for years to come.

Let's not forget that Drew Brees had major reconstructive shoulder surgery way back in 2006 and was 2nd Team All-Pro as recently as 2018.

The Meaning of NFL QB Drew Brees' Rotator Cuff Injury

upload_2020-8-24_14-18-2.png

Last edited:

I know you want to say Cam is 100% healthy because you saw some posts on Instagram, so don't take it from me that there are concerns about his shoulder. Here's a former Panthers beat writer:

"Multiple sources I've spoken to have said if they're concerned about any Newton injury, it's his shoulder far more than his foot. Newton had surgery to repair a Lisfranc injury back in December, and that came after months of trying to avoid going under the knife again. His two shoulder surgeries came in March 2017 and January 2019, and I've been closing monitoring his throwing since.

Carolina's 6-2 start in 2018 and Newton's revival under Norv Turner masked his struggles to throw deep. He had trouble with his deep ball throughout training camp, and he attempted just 2.9 passes of 20-plus yards per game through the team's first eight games. Folks pointed to a T.J. Watt hit in Week 9 as a turning point in his season -- and I'm sure the hit didn't make his arm feel better -- but after that he was still attempting 2.8 passes of 20-plus yards per game.

And in just two games in 2019, Newton couldn't throw to the right side of the field. Could it have been the broken foot? Perhaps. But he completed just 40 percent of his passes to the right in those two losses, which is so below average it's statistically significant in my view.

So at 31 and a year away from contact, Newton should feel extremely refreshed. The ball is spinning off his hand right now, and it probably will throughout camp. Frankly, it should be. But the test will be how his arm is faring come November as the hits pile up and the weather gets colder. I'm not saying his arm will fall off, but the close inspection of his spirals isn't really necessary right now."
The drop off in his effectiveness was because he stopped running and without the threat to run and the time it buys he struggled.

When healthy, no question.

Why is Rapistberger so highly rated in this thread?

New team and system
Receivers = ?
Only played two games last season.
Maybe top five. Maybe benched by December.

Depends on what Cam we get. We get 2018 or 2015 or 2013 Cam and he’s easily better than Ben and Watson and has a real top 3 shot

Why is Rapistberger so highly rated in this thread?
Because they overrate him for past success and don’t nitpick him the way they do Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes